Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

There sure arent alot of skimmers with out a pump showing in the tank
you got the
Prizim skimmer
Deltec MCE
Octo 100f/300f
umm and that skimmer lubu posted

I do think the bh100f might need a mod with the siphon thing seems a little annoying and tedious. If only you can hook it up with the intake and still have water being drawn into the first chamber. Heres my thought on it

Last edited by FishAreFriends2; 11/27/2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
Well, just lost siphon again last night some time. I'm getting pretty annoyed w/ it! I just emailed David at CoralVue, hopefully he has a solution to this problem.
Man if I were you, I'd get seriously annoyed. It seems theres something wrong with the tubing I hope David at coralvue sends you new tubing and that probaly solve the problem. The box and the pump are not at fault since the box doesn't do anything but store the water while the pump is fine. Did you try to use the normal surface skimming box?The only thing that comes down to is the tubing.

Man that pics small heres the bigger one
Old 11/27/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Side question, my tank is arcylic with Eurobrace rims that is about 2 inch. Will the Octo HB 100 or 100f fit?
Old 11/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Here's the response from David:

Try to increase the water level in your tank or adjust the overflow so you are getting enough water into the skimmer and it has enough pressure. It is not enough water then it will suck air.

I responded that I'm not using their overflow nor can the water in the tank get any higher since it'd over flow if I put my arm in there.. So I'm still waiting for his reply to that! Here's another question. What if the pump was turned upside down? That wouldn't work would it? I mean, the inlet from the pump would be too high and it'd suck air in huh? There's got to be some way to do this.. It's almost like I have to take the air release valve off and put a barbed fitting on it and hook my return from my phosphate reactor to it so there's a constant flow of water from up and down.. dunno.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/27/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

I'd call him straight up and talk to him its better talking on the phone than emailing. Sometimes it takes too long for responses. Fliping the pump upside down isnt going to work since it has nothing to do with the pump, I still say it has something to do with the intake. I just hope he sends you a spare in take tube, if not you might have to go find some parts at a local hardware store and put a new one on. BTW how many times do you start your skimmer up with their hard technique? I would start the skimmer one last time but with a pump and make sure while shooting water up you watch and make sure all the bubbles are out of the inlet in the first chamber once thats done you know for sure theres no air in the inlet tube. And if it breaks again that means for sure you have a area on the tube thats sucking air in.

Is your tubes tight? especially where the outside and inside tubes connect? Once I made mine loose and it was dripping water from that area. Thats the only other place I could think of where air might come in and the air nob.

Last edited by happyface888; 11/27/2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scunfcu
Side question, my tank is arcylic with Eurobrace rims that is about 2 inch. Will the Octo HB 100 or 100f fit?
sorry cant be much help not at home and I am not sure if it will fit or not.

This might give you a idea its one of thoes I believe a aga tank, if its too short I think you can just get some extra plumbing parts and extend it, shouldnt affect the performance.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's the response from David:

Try to increase the water level in your tank or adjust the overflow so you are getting enough water into the skimmer and it has enough pressure. It is not enough water then it will suck air.

I responded that I'm not using their overflow nor can the water in the tank get any higher since it'd over flow if I put my arm in there.. So I'm still waiting for his reply to that! Here's another question. What if the pump was turned upside down? That wouldn't work would it? I mean, the inlet from the pump would be too high and it'd suck air in huh? There's got to be some way to do this.. It's almost like I have to take the air release valve off and put a barbed fitting on it and hook my return from my phosphate reactor to it so there's a constant flow of water from up and down.. dunno.
Any new updates? From David?
Old 11/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

uh no. I even emailed him again after I didn't hear from him. I remember when I called him the very first time, when my pump wouldn't start, he never returned my call and basically gave me the feeling that he only wanted to do business via email.. which sucks, but oh well.

Happy, if you sat and stared at your skimmer for a few minutes, does the water in the return chamber sort of float up and down a fraction of an inch?

Old 11/27/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Yes mine does that, well if he still doesnt pull through for you I'd contact the seller who sold it to you. It should be their responsibility to help you out since they sold you a skimmer with some problems. Coralvue just does the warrant thing, so if they dont help yah go back to the seller.

ok does your intake bring in bubbles into the first chamber? Mine doesnt bring in bubbles but micros.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

the way my tank's setup, I can't really see the intake chamber. I only have 2 visible side, looking at it.. the front and the left side. So I have no idea. As for the seller, in essence CoralVue was the seller since I contacted them to begin w/ to find out a seller and then when I bought it, it was drop shipped directly from CoralVue, so, basically Custom Aquatics was only the middle man taking money/making money for not doing a whole lot. We'll see what he has to say, if it's nothing good The only other thing I can think of as an easy fix is to have an airline come out of that bleeder valve and T it off w/ the venturi valve so it'll suck a little something out of the inlet T.. if it's a little water, no big deal, a little air, no big deal... kind of like this:

But I don't know.. probably wouldn't even work. When the T was filled with water it'd suck water all the time. But if I only opened the valve a little ways, I think it might only suck a little water w/ mostly air

Old 11/27/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Hmm I dont think that will work, I noticed if I left the tube on the switch,the pump would eventually start sucking in water which than screws up the bubbles in the middle chamber. I think David will pull through hes probaly just busy, I'd try again with the calls and the timezone might be different in where he is. It definetly the intake tube or the swithc on top maybe it has a small seem and its sucking in air or the tubes were tighten when you screwed them back on. When i change out my water and when it starts to suck air thats when it breaks the siphon. I dont think you have anything thats spewing that much bubbles that are big enough to form bigs ones to stop the siphon.

Did your siphon break when you tried the pump method? I could never get mine started with the octo directions. Maybe I cleared all the bubble build up in the intake which prevents a break? My water lvl in my first chamber sits right above my pump. where does your water lvl sit? If there was air in my intake the water lvl would drop all the way down to the bottom and I would start to hear it making a sucky noisey.

Last edited by happyface888; 11/27/2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

I can't really see where the water level is in the first chamber. And I never did try the pump method, I was always able to get it started (after a few times of trying) by the octo directions. Now i can get it started right away on the first try.

Old 11/28/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

I never could get it started the octo way, my first chambers water lvl is stable and doesnt bounce the water lvl is right above the pump. Would you be able to see the back of the skimmer if you stood on a chair?
Old 11/28/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I dont mean to get off the current topic, but I have a quick question...Happy wrote about an easy mod: the one involoving a silicone gasket. What brand/kind of silicone should I use?

I love ths idea, since there is a noticeable amount of pressure and bubbles going up the side of the collection cup. I think this would really help production.

I have not done any mods of any kind to any of my equipment and I have been reluctant due to small finances for aquarium supplies, but this sounds doable!

Also, I am definitely not an expert, but those of you with the 100f, why dont you extend your intake down farther into the tank where there is no air, and more water pressure!? Add about 6 inches?
Old 11/28/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

either go to your LFS/Petsmart/Petco and get all glass aquarium's aquarim silicone, or go to Lowes and get the same product, or if all else fails go to HD/Lowes and get GE's Silicone 1 product, make sure it doesn't have Microban or whatever their anti-mold inhibitor is since that will crash your tank. Also, make sure you wait AT LEAST 24hrs for the silicone to cure if not 48 to make sure it's not still letting chemicals out.

Old 11/28/2007, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Update: David said that he has no idea why it's doing that and requested pictures. I sent some new ones and explained what the problems I thought might be but still wanted input. As for standing on a chair..not sure! My stand is 42" high and the tank is another 18". Makes for great viewing height for me (6'2"). I may have to try a stool or chair or step ladder or something to see if I can get back there... I took a picture of the pump chamber (blindly since I couldn't see what i was taking a picture of) and it didn't come out too great... but I don't know if my pump's completely submerged, but like I said I can't tell for sure ATM.

Old 11/28/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason1520
I dont mean to get off the current topic, but I have a quick question...Happy wrote about an easy mod: the one involoving a silicone gasket. What brand/kind of silicone should I use?

I love ths idea, since there is a noticeable amount of pressure and bubbles going up the side of the collection cup. I think this would really help production.

I have not done any mods of any kind to any of my equipment and I have been reluctant due to small finances for aquarium supplies, but this sounds doable!

Also, I am definitely not an expert, but those of you with the 100f, why dont you extend your intake down farther into the tank where there is no air, and more water pressure!? Add about 6 inches?
I agree with dzeadow for the locations, I also heard from others you could also use rubber bands to do it. Basicly I guess you just put them near the bottom and shove the cup down and it prevents waters from going above?
Old 11/28/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Ah I totally forgot about that wall on the side,

And taking pictures blindly never does come out right, I cant see the side my my return chamber since its against the wall like yours but opposite side. but I can see the top if I stood on a chair.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Ok, I'll let you guys decide if this makes sense to you:

Quote:
Did you try keeping the tubing that goes into the John Guest fitting in place? When the tubing is not in place it closes the hole off and allows air to build up inside the top pipe. When the tubing is in place it keeps the fitting open and allows excess air to bleed out of the pipe. Try this and see if it helps.
Now, I thought if the valve is closed, there shouldn't be ANYTHING leaking out of it, am I correct? I'm going to give it a shot to see what happens... if this works I'll be amazed.

Old 11/28/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Oh and Happy, I didn't have a tape measure w/ me so I put an object that both of us have up to my collection cup. W/ the lid on the collection cup, if you take the air silencer thing and put it up to it, w/ the nipples of the air silencer even w/ the top of the lid of the cup, my rubberband/stop is exactly at the bottom of the silencer. I wanna throw up looking at the skimmate coming out of it right now. It's like sludge green and the neck of the collection cup is bubblin away! HTH

Old 11/28/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, I'll let you guys decide if this makes sense to you:

Now, I thought if the valve is closed, there shouldn't be ANYTHING leaking out of it, am I correct? I'm going to give it a shot to see what happens... if this works I'll be amazed.
That does not make sense to me at all, I dont even have my tubbing connected. I removed it and always start it with the pump. So from what he is saying I am getting build up of air inside my intake? If so shouldnt my siphon have broken already? You are right dzeadow once the intake is close there shouldnt be anything comming in or going out. btw what side is your nob turned to? Mines on my left. And also he made it sound confusing, I dont think it would work but who knows since I dont use the tube.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh and Happy, I didn't have a tape measure w/ me so I put an object that both of us have up to my collection cup. W/ the lid on the collection cup, if you take the air silencer thing and put it up to it, w/ the nipples of the air silencer even w/ the top of the lid of the cup, my rubberband/stop is exactly at the bottom of the silencer. I wanna throw up looking at the skimmate coming out of it right now. It's like sludge green and the neck of the collection cup is bubblin away! HTH
Thanks for the info, Ill set mine up like yours when I get home. But Coralvues response is werid, once its closed nothing goes in or out, so the tube isnt needed.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason1520
I dont think that would work, theres something like a area on the intake thats sucking in air its either the switch on top is bad or the part where you connect them isnt tight.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I think when I turn the airflow off to that valve, i turn it clockwise... but I'd have to check.

Old 11/28/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I turn mine clockwise, I wonder what would happen if I opened it counter clockwise? Would that actually stop the siphon? I have a odd feeling like it wont. Ill give it a try later on, gonna do a water change.

so whats going to happen if coralvues suggestion still doesnt work? Are they going to send you new pipes?