Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #76  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:22 AM
Nizmo350Z Nizmo350Z is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOhh
So got anything free?....................I can be downright nice in a PM.........
Damn Steve you beat me to it, I was going to ask Benny for the T5 fixture for FREE. Bergov, please PM benninca for the T5.

Benny, I'm sure you've got your experience with him, but the fact that monkeyboy sold a used, modified, faulty electrical equipment to someone and not informing the buyer about it can be criminal. This piece of equipment could fail and catch fire, or it could do some serious damage to the person.
  #77  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:22 AM
BeanAnimal BeanAnimal is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 11,710
Quote:
Originally posted by bennyinca
I also think that as a buyer, if you want a new product and warranties that go with it, then you ought to be buying from a retailer.

However, if you sense a mixed reaction in this thread, I believe it may be because some people have already dealt with bergovoy, like I have in PM. Or maybe you have heard. Anyways I think he has built a reputation for himself. His PMs are down right abusive, and for that reason I chose to cease replying to him. After my exp in dealing with him, I'd rather give away things for free than selling to him. Just my .02
WIth all due respect... that is why guys like bubblemonkey get away with ripping people off. Everybody is too concerned with what "should" happen instead of what DID HAPPEN. You say your not making excuses for the guy... but that is exactly what you are doing by proxy. Nobody asked for a warranty. The buyer simply asked to be part of an honest transaction, something that one party (the seller) ignored.

Who cares if the buyer is a rude insufferable jerk... that does not give anybody the right to rip him off. It also does NOTHING to justify the actions of the seller. Why do people try SO HARD not to condem somebodies actions and instead be politicaly correct and admonish both parties? In the end it makes matters worse, not better.

ANYWAY.... please please please... I want a copy of the transcript if this goes to court!!! Hey you guys could take it to one of those TV courts, it is a perfect case for judge Brown!
  #78  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:23 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Im telling you guys he wanted MORE and MORE Goods from me..almost using the light issue as LEVERAGE, Threatening me to go PUBLIC with this issue unless I gave him product in exchange.

You dont seem to get it.. he wanted to use this light as leverage to get more free equipment, he didnt WANT a refund. This was a GREAT deal no matter how you looked at it, he knows it I know it.

He didnt really pressure me at first for a REFUND.. Thats my whole point, had he done that at first, I would have agreed. He SEEMED to want to work with ME.. gave me options besides a REFUND. You guys keep ripping me for not giving his money back so I need to make this clear. I WAS WILLING At first.

As he replied to me he made suggestions for COUNTER offers to make him "happy" If you buy something from a store and its defective. you bring the thing back, saying I dont want a return, I want a store credit for my trouble. Store says OK.. give you $100.00 as you request... After the offer is made Buyer keeps product then ripps you in public

see my point?
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #79  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:26 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
You guys keep claiming I KNEW all this stuff about the fixture that it was FAULTY. I had NO Idea that T5 wire was broken ever.

I also wouldnt have sold it that way to anyone. The repair I made was better than the way the MFG connects the wires. This was the ONLY issue I knew about with the light.

The light worked when I tried it before the ballast fried on me. So I assumed it would work just as well after the ONE wire was fixed better than it came to me?
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #80  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:27 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
No, you don't get it. You lied about the light, took his money & when he called you on it, you should have refunded his money IN FULL.......................

Funny how your lies started the whole situation, yet you want to blame him...............
  #81  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:28 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbleMonkeyIII
You guys keep claiming I KNEW all this stuff about the fixture that it was FAULTY. I had NO Idea that T5 wire was broken ever.

I also wouldnt have sold it that way to anyone. The repair I made was better than the way the MFG connects the wires. This was the ONLY issue I knew about with the light.

The light worked when I tried it before the ballast fried on me. So I assumed it would work just as well after the ONE wire was fixed better than it came to me?
Your first indication should have been the ballast that fried in the first five minutes.....................

Then you never admitted you modified the light.................

Stop making excuses to try & cover up your lies......................

Be a man & refund his money........................
  #82  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:29 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Bean I wished you had warned me.. I would never have dealt with this guy period.

Hey I admitted my ad was wrong should have told about the wiring issues and said it was USED and AS IS.

I was willing to refund the thing if need be until the end, I was willing to fix the problem anyway I could, to make him happy. I offered him MORE equipment that he requested for the solution to the problem of the light, and IM the bad guy?
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #83  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:31 AM
skairik skairik is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 374
BeanAnimal, you took the words right out of my mouth. Time and time and time again.
__________________
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - one lick and you suck forever
  #84  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:33 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Yes, you are the bad guy for lying to him in the first place.........................How hard is that to figure out???

If you hadn't of lied about the fixture & told him you modified it in the first place, then your case may hold water. I'd give him his money in full, because if you go to court, I can almost guarantee you'll lose......
  #85  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:41 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Never lied to the guy, as far as I was concernd about the light working, but i will agree in retrospect the "BRAND NEW" was misleading.. But, indeed the light was new, never used on a tank barely even turned on.

REFURB AS IS would have been a better choice of words.. I wouldnt have hesitated to say that in the ad. I have sold HUNDREDS of products and never been PURPOSELY decietful. And when I realized it I tried to make it RIGHT.

The light worked perfectly and was a good deal as far as I was concerned from the Knowlege I had everything was working fine.

His biggest contention with the deal was about the T5 wire being broken in there saying the T5s could have NEVER worked. But they worked for me the last time I had power to them? Could that wire have broken afterwards? Certainly, its also possible he BROKE it off finally when he was messing with it.

Read what I said, I fired up the light BEFORE I ever opened anything to see if the thing even worked. Ran it for 5 min. EVERYTHING worked FINE.

But, When It arrived I Noticed the T5s were loose in there, off the mounting brackets had fallen to one end but still seemed connected, so had to open it up to re mount them to the holders (wouldnt have opned it otherwise) and re attach them (the possible cause of the broken t5 wire later he found it was frayed?)

Disconnected the ballast and opend it up to fix the T5s loose in there. Reconnected them to the mounting brackets, saw NO other wires loose around them. Was bout to close it up when I noticed a wire extending out of one of the incoming POWER wires. IT was sticking oddly into the fixture like a screw had hit it or something (i hadnt opened it before) it was where the screws go in and I was like ***?

Couldnt see any other wires in there loose figured they half azzed grounded that wire or something. Then realized that another WIRE a large WHITE one was loose and buried under OTHER wires. Not knowing which light this powered up I CAREFULLY powered back up the light with THESE two wires apart as to not short on the case or each other (incase they didnt belong together).. ALL THE LIGHTS CAME ON FINE AGIAN except ONE HALIDE.

When this happend, I went back to the ballast to UNPLUGG and turn everythign off, thats when THE CASE ARCED on my finger. So I disconnected everything spliced and soldered the broken HQI wire and closed it up. Threw the ballast away that same day.

I never connected ANY ballast to it after the repair, and in retrospect I should have wired up the BWVII, to test it. But I didnt. then that thing would be USeD as well. It was a simple repair that probably DOES WORK, but as Borgey admits he never tried it. That part of the deal I dont dispute I was wrong not to mention that wire to him, but it was repaired and would work as far as I was concerned. And probably does to be honest

thats how it happend believe it or not! hahaha
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #86  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:41 AM
BeanAnimal BeanAnimal is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 11,710
Yes bubble in this case you are the bad guy. I don't care if he tried to leverage you for your time share in Myrtle Beach... you ripped him off and have yet to see that. Is he a good guy? I dunno and I really don't care.

If you break into a thief's house and steal his wallet, are you justified or are you a thief?

This has been VERY entertaining to say the least. Bubble I would suggest taking an ethics class (not kidding at all) It would make you a better person. You may even be a nice guy, but as it stands right now your morals and ethical judgement seem to be pretty suspect.
  #87  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:49 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbleMonkeyIII
Read what I said, I fired up the light BEFORE I ever opened anything to see if the thing even worked. Ran it for 5 min. EVERYTHING worked FINE.

But, When It arrived I Noticed the T5s were loose in there, off the mounting brackets had fallen to one end but still seemed connected, so had to open it up to re mount them to the holders (wouldnt have opned it otherwise) and re attach them (the possible cause of the broken t5 wire later he found it was frayed?)

Disconnected the ballast and opend it up to fix the T5s loose in there. Reconnected them to the mounting brackets, saw NO other wires loose around them. Was bout to close it up when I noticed a wire extending out of one of the incoming POWER wires. IT was sticking oddly into the fixture like a screw had hit it or something (i hadnt opened it before) it was where the screws go in and I was like ***?

Couldnt see any other wires in there loose figured they half azzed grounded that wire or something. Then realized that another WIRE a large WHITE one was loose and buried under OTHER wires. Not knowing which light this powered up I CAREFULLY powered back up the light with THESE two wires apart as to not short on the case or each other (incase they didnt belong together).. ALL THE LIGHTS CAME ON FINE AGIAN except ONE HALIDE.

When this happend, I went back to the ballast to UNPLUGG and turn everythign off, thats when THE CASE ARCED on my finger. So I disconnected everything spliced and soldered the broken HQI wire and closed it up. Threw the ballast away that same day.

I never connected ANY ballast to it after the repair, and in retrospect I should have wired up the BWVII, to test it. But I didnt. then that thing would be USeD as well. It was a simple repair that probably DOES WORK, but as Borgey admits he never tried it. That part of the deal I dont dispute I was wrong not to mention that wire to him, but it was repaired and would work as far as I was concerned. And probably does to be honest

thats how it happend believe it or not! hahaha
Why didn't you post this in your original FS thread?

Because you probably wouldn't have been able to sell the fixture............

I would have immediately returned the fixture to the place I bought it from & had my money refunded. Instead you chose to LIE about the condition of the fixture & sell it for what you wanted people to percieve as a great deal..............

Bottom line, you were not honest in your FS thread.....................Now that the truth comes out, you want to back pedal & make yourself appear to be the good guy.

The only way to make good on this whole situation is to refund his money IN FULL...................not offer him $100, not offer to give him other equipment etc...................

After reading your posts, I'm even more on the buyers side now.......

Be a man & do the right thing..................Ball is in your court
  #88  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:49 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Selling him $500.00 worth of Reef Equipment for $250.00 is hardely ripping anyone off. Even with minor flaws the light had, some I knew some I didnt, it was still a good deal.. If it wasnt he would have wanted his money back, not more equipment.

I still tell you guys I was WRONG for wording it that way, Was I purposely trying to rip the guy off and be shady? No. Did I lie when he asked me about it? No.. did I try and make it right when I realized my mistake.. YEs.

Had I mentioned the wiring issues with the light and sold it to someone else along with that ballast Would they still be getting ripped off? Jeezus I gave the thing to him, plus about $300.00 in loss on my end.
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #89  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:49 AM
bennyinca bennyinca is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern OC, CA
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally posted by Nizmo350Z
Damn Steve you beat me to it, I was going to ask Benny for the T5 fixture for FREE. Bergov, please PM benninca for the T5.

Benny, I'm sure you've got your experience with him, but the fact that monkeyboy sold a used, modified, faulty electrical equipment to someone and not informing the buyer about it can be criminal. This piece of equipment could fail and catch fire, or it could do some serious damage to the person.
LOL you guys are funny. Oh, did I say my T5s fried up my clownfish? HAHA J/K

I do not know what the detail of the transaction was. What was explained, what was agreed on, promised, etc. I am in no way saying that I do no sympathize for him getting a sour deal. No one would want to be in those shoes.

From reading the posts my understading is that:
1. The original ballast arc'd, and shocked the guy
2. There are exposed / cut wires and a ballast that needs DIY work

All I am saying is, that would have been sufficient to raise a red flag and tell me to keep looking elsewhere.
  #90  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:50 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
It was sold as A DIY light he knew that.. he also knew it needed MAJOR REWIRING anyways to run the New Ballast and he also knew that the ORIGINAL BALLLAST WAS TOAST.

Any DIY guy knows to connect a new BALLAST to that fixture would require some pretty major WIRING inside that light. he knew it going in, I EXPLAINED THIS TO Him, Asked him if he was capable BEFORE he took the light of doing this over the phone. He said he was. Had he NOT been handy, I NEVER would have sold the light to him.

These are details everyone is missing. I sold it to him MAKING IT PLAIN that the new 600Volt wires would need to be rewired in the unit to the VERY wires that I had repaired.

So all of you saying he would have blown up the house is just wrong. He would have had to CUT those wires and connect the NEW ballasts to the power sides anyways just to power it up?

Thus cutting everything and anything I had done to it period. Making any repairs I made to the thing a MUTE Point.

Now had I sold the thing WITH THAT BALLAST as working, saying
"hey just fire it up with the stock ballast" you might have a point.

He had to rewire the T5 wires and all connections anyways, and also all the HQI wires which I had repaired would have had to been cut to remove the weird connectors to run the light PERIOD.
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #91  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:51 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbleMonkeyIII

The light worked perfectly and was a good deal as far as I was concerned from the Knowlege I had everything was working fine.

How is it working fine if it fried the ballast? That should have been your first clue, Sherlock.........
  #92  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:52 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Let me ask you one question........................Why didn't you return the BRAND NEW unit to the place you bought it when it fried the ballast?
  #93  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:53 AM
skairik skairik is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 374
bubblemonkey, are you going to man-up and refund the money or not?
__________________
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - one lick and you suck forever
  #94  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:57 AM
glaudds glaudds is offline
Wet-fingered Reefer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Glendale, So. Cal.
Posts: 2,158
Seller misrepresents his sale and gets a buyer which has gained a reputation for "drama". If there is such thing as reefing karma, this is it!
__________________
When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras.
  #95  
Old 12/18/2006, 03:58 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
I said I would

about 5 posts ago.. Dude I was willing from day one.. I keep saying that. Is anyone listening? As long as that BWVII hasnt been used and the wires are still mint.. FINE.

thats been my point dealing with this guy, HE WANTED more eqiupment NOT a refund. How much more plain do i need to be?
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #96  
Old 12/18/2006, 04:01 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOhh
Let me ask you one question........................Why didn't you return the BRAND NEW unit to the place you bought it when it fried the ballast?
Simple answer, I KNEW the ballast were BAD from day one, never planned on using it EVER. Knew all about the fire issues with it. I bought the light with ballast for the LIGHT fixture only..

HEre..



If you read my posts I purchased this light for the SOLE purpose of throwing away that ballast and using the BWV7 which I had purchased for another mod (Orbit mod) to power the light safely

It was a DIY project for me from DAY ONE.. and I said so.. I planned on REWIRING that whole thing out for the BWVII.. Also new the T5s were not HO, and told him as well. He would also have to rewire the T5 lighting anyways to hook up a new ballast right? Unless he wired it OUTSIDE The light splicing the connections that way, which could have been done but that would be MORE dangerous than hard wiring it like I had planned and told him he would have to do.

Bill also knew all this going in. thats my whole point. Thats why when I sold it to him I wasnt overly concerned about the repair I had made, as I assumed by our disucssion that he would be cutting it and connecting up the HQI wires from the BW anyways.

So bottom line, It needed to be completly REWIRED Internally to WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. It didnt come with a ballast, he needed to WIRE THEM UP.

He knew that and was in the process of doing so when he found the "repair" and the broken T5.. (wire that I was not aware of) Also I think he realized after he opened it up that it needed T5 ballast at this point and wanted to back out and used this as an excuse.

Btw, I never sold him that stock ballast.. Or would have..

Capiche?
  #97  
Old 12/18/2006, 04:10 AM
SteveOhh SteveOhh is offline
Fantasy Coral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,436
Keep backpedaling................One day you'll catch up with yourself...........

I'm done here.................Anyone with half a brain can see this seller was deceitful from day one & is trying way too hard to make himself look like a saint..................
  #98  
Old 12/18/2006, 04:11 AM
BubbleMonkeyIII BubbleMonkeyIII is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
you asked me a question I answered it i will provide a post about it LONG Before I een offered the light for sale
__________________
To say that there are no absolutes, is, in itself, and absolute.....
  #99  
Old 12/18/2006, 04:13 AM
bennyinca bennyinca is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern OC, CA
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
WIth all due respect... that is why guys like bubblemonkey get away with ripping people off. Everybody is too concerned with what "should" happen instead of what DID HAPPEN. You say your not making excuses for the guy... but that is exactly what you are doing by proxy. Nobody asked for a warranty. The buyer simply asked to be part of an honest transaction, something that one party (the seller) ignored.

Bean,
To clarify, I am just not jumping on taking sides because I think there is a big disconnect on the agreements on this deal. I see how this can be perceived as letting someone "get away" with their actions, but like I said in my previous post, I believe the seller should be responsible for their actions.

Quote:

Who cares if the buyer is a rude insufferable jerk...

Bean, I believe it makes a big difference. An individual seller is not trained to be a customer service representative who is expecting an angry customer rip him a new one. No one likes dealing with jerks, threats, abusive language, etc

Quote:

that does not give anybody the right to rip him off. It also does NOTHING to justify the actions of the seller. Why do people try SO HARD not to condem somebodies actions and instead be politicaly correct and admonish both parties? In the end it makes matters worse, not better.

I agree that being a jerk does not give the right to someone rip him off. But I think for me to jump in and blame someone without having all the facts on the deal between them makes matter worse. There are, however, people liek yourself, steve, and others, taking the time to get the facts, so lets see it that helps put some sense and shed some MH lights in this drama
Quote:

ANYWAY.... please please please... I want a copy of the transcript if this goes to court!!! Hey you guys could take it to one of those TV courts, it is a perfect case for judge Brown!
So if this makes it to TV, can we all be called as RC witnesses?
  #100  
Old 12/18/2006, 04:15 AM
bennyinca bennyinca is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern OC, CA
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally posted by glaudds
Seller misrepresents his sale and gets a buyer which has gained a reputation for "drama". If there is such thing as reefing karma, this is it!
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef Central Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2009