Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 10/31/2007, 04:09 PM
Genius

Beware of triggerfish1976 - terrible seller and person

First of all, I want to let everyone know that I am a nice and patient person.
I purchased a used Schuran Jetstream 1 from triggerfish1976 on Sept. 3 for $340 including shipping. I didn't receive it until late the following week because he didn't sent it until more than a week after payment. I can understand things get in the way, and I let that slide.
Upon opening the box, I immediately noticed the bad packing. There was ONE sheet of bubble wrap around the reactor in a box that was too big for it without any extra packing. The plastic thumbscrews were all over the place, and some of the fittings were loose. The reactor was also dusty, dirty and salt-creeped up. It hadn't even been washed prior to selling. I let that all slide.
When I examined the item closer, I found a complete break in one of the fittings. I immediately took pictures and contacted triggerfish1976, the seller, about the problem. He took his grand old time contacting UPS and setting up a pickup for damage investigation. I knew that UPS wouldn't reimburse him because it was packaged inadequately.
A few days after the pickup, I got an email from him saying he would pay me back but he wouldn't be able to pay me back until he got payed next month... 3 weeks from that particular day. Needless to say I was upset, but what could I do?

Closer to the three weeks, I contacted him asking him if he could pay me back. He said he couldn't pay me back until he sold the reactor because he was able to fix the problem. Again, I was upset because he went back on what he said. But I waited. Another week or so later, I opened a dispute in Paypal because I was getting pretty upset. Then I got a payment for $218 from him except it was sent as a PAYMENT not a REFUND. He said he would pay me the remainder if I closed the dispute. I lost $6.xx from paypal fees. I was upset and told him he owed me $132 + the $6.xx I lost and to pay me back as a refund this next time. Today, 10 days later, he finally send the "remainder" although it was in the amount of $130, not $132+6.xx AND he sent it as a payment again. When I complained this morning about the mistake he made the second time... this was his response:

"It didn't work that way. I would have had to refund you the entire amount instead of a partial. It doesn't matter since I lost the same amount when you originally paid me the $350. "

So basically over the course of almost 2 months, I was out the majority of my payment of $340 until this last week and a half, and I lost $13-15 in paypal fees for NO REASON at all. It was completely his fault for inadequately packing the item then gypping me on my refund.

Obviously he is either a jerk or stupid or both, so buyers BEWARE of triggerfish1976.
Old 11/03/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear that and thanks for the heads up.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:14 PM
Reefer Maniac

yes possibly inexperienced and just plain mean, sorry to hear of your losses and thanks for the info
Old 11/05/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

So, you lost 15.00 out of this whole thing?
This really isn't worth posting this- If you got all your money back except 15.00, you are doing good. You hear all the time where someone never gets their money back...
Old 11/05/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

I think it's irrelevant how much he's out, he is just posting his experience for others to see. Others may not be as patient as he was. Honestly though, be glad you are only out the $15 or whatever it was. Much better than being out the full amount.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member.

First off I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. However that is a risk you take, buying from hobbyist and when it comes to used items. If you wanted a new item or like new item along with great service, you should have gone to a retailer, you are buying a used item. Second, keep in mind most hobbyist are not professional packers or your average UPS expert, this just sounds like you expected too much from a hobbyist that’s all. This is why you pay the extra for Customer Service and Support from a retailer, don’t expect that from your average hobbyist, not that it’s not possible to get this from a hobbyist, it just shouldn’t be really expected, or you might be let down, that’s all. Other than that the hole experience doesn’t seem too pleasant, and I am sorry your out 15 dollars, that is not good even if it was one dollar, sorry you had a bad experience with this guy, just try not to expect too much when buying "USED" equipment. Hope it all works out for you!
Old 11/07/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SENSIREEF
First off I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. However that is a risk you take, buying from hobbyist and when it comes to used items. If you wanted a new item or like new item along with great service, you should have gone to a retailer, you are buying a used item. Second, keep in mind most hobbyist are not professional packers or your average UPS expert, this just sounds like you expected too much from a hobbyist that’s all. This is why you pay the extra for Customer Service and Support from a retailer, don’t expect that from your average hobbyist, not that it’s not possible to get this from a hobbyist, it just shouldn’t be really expected, or you might be let down, that’s all. Other than that the hole experience doesn’t seem too pleasant, and I am sorry your out 15 dollars, that is not good even if it was one dollar, sorry you had a bad experience with this guy, just try not to expect too much when buying "USED" equipment. Hope it all works out for you!
You are out of your mind?
Old 11/07/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member.

Elaborate....
Old 11/15/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SENSIREEF
I will elaborate.
When I buy something used, I expect it to be as the description states. It is very plain and simple, if it is broken when I get it and it wasn't listed that way, the seller very well make the deal right. Not 3 weeks later and $15 dollars short. Plain and Simple. It does not take a UPS expert to properly package anything, it takes common sense. If the seller did not have an adequate method of packaging this product then he could have had UPS package it for him. To me, now this is just my opinion, it sounds like he recieved the money, then spent the money prior to shipping it out then had to scrounge to ship it out. Hence the reason why it took so long to ship and inadequate packaging and so long to refund the money.

Quote:
just try not to expect too much when buying "USED" equipment
Excuse me........ I expect it as described. If it is not working or broken, it better very well be in the description. Once again, plain and simple, and common sense.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:25 PM
Genius

Quote:
Originally posted by hoyta
So, you lost 15.00 out of this whole thing?
This really isn't worth posting this- If you got all your money back except 15.00, you are doing good. You hear all the time where someone never gets their money back...
It's not about the money. I know $15 isn't that much... but for people who understand, the hassle of 2 months and then losing anything is ridiculous because it was all his fault.

Hoyta and everyone else who thinks $15 is nothing, please send me $15 to my paypal account. I'll take care of it for you.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:27 PM
Genius

Quote:
Originally posted by pogona
I will elaborate.
When I buy something used, I expect it to be as the description states. It is very plain and simple, if it is broken when I get it and it wasn't listed that way, the seller very well make the deal right. Not 3 weeks later and $15 dollars short. Plain and Simple. It does not take a UPS expert to properly package anything, it takes common sense. If the seller did not have an adequate method of packaging this product then he could have had UPS package it for him. To me, now this is just my opinion, it sounds like he recieved the money, then spent the money prior to shipping it out then had to scrounge to ship it out. Hence the reason why it took so long to ship and inadequate packaging and so long to refund the money.

Excuse me........ I expect it as described. If it is not working or broken, it better very well be in the description. Once again, plain and simple, and common sense.
That's exactly how I feel. There is risk, but there shouldn't be much if any. I know I would never do this to anyone else - because I am nice and also not stupid.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I will be sure to send you the 15.00 right away. ..I'm just blown away that you had the nerve to call someone a terrible person in your post over 15.00. I understand its aggravating, but this really isn't that bad. Kinda overreacting
Old 11/19/2007, 11:20 AM
Moved In

Hoyta I suggest you quit posting in this thread.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/19/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoyta
Wow, I will be sure to send you the 15.00 right away. ..I'm just blown away that you had the nerve to call someone a terrible person in your post over 15.00. I understand its aggravating, but this really isn't that bad. Kinda overreacting
Are you new, did you not even read the entire first post?

I think she is calling this person terrible beacause

#1 Paid $340 + shipping, took seller over a week to ship, he should have shipped it out the very next business day or atleast the same week especially if she PAID for shipping.

#2 Packaging was shotty, appears to have been just thrown in the box with the parts all over the box.

#3 Arrived Damaged due to POOR packaging.

#4 Took seller 2 months to reimburse, even though it still wasn't the full amount.

As a matter of fact, I don't think that danskim would be complaining, if the seller shipped imediately, properly packaged it, but still got damaged in shipping (this does happen), then refunded the money promptly not 2 months later in increments.
Old 11/19/2007, 01:03 PM
Moved In

Let's not add fuel to the fire here....

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!