Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2004, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

This forum lumps all of the anglers together.
Frogfish, Sargassum Fish, etc. They seem to have pretty similar habits with regards to feeding and potential tankmates.

My Sargassum Fish is a pretty active hunter. He doesn't ambush/angle much. He prefers to sneak up on his prey. He's not very good at it though, and the Damsels just swim away. He's a nice addition to the tank in that regard. I feed him a large frozen Silverside every 2-3 days. If he's being good (not nipping at my fingers during WCs), I give him a few small live Guppies every couple of weeks.

I picked him up at Jack's in Hilliard for $32. He was eating within 2 hours of getting him in the display tank.

I am thinning out the stock in his tank, ultimately he may have a 40g to himself. I'd like to put another predator in there, but am undecided on what will work. He hunts the damsels, but never gets them, and he ignores the Yellow Tang (currently QTd, might die). He will occasionally eyeball a snail or hermit, but has never made any move to eat them.
The only aggression he has shown is towards a 6" Serpent Star who was fighting him for a dropped Silverside. The Star won.

Both Byerlys' and Aquarium Adventure have nice Angler tanks (both 7g or so) for their Warty Frogfish. It's not like they need a lot of room to swim and play. Jack's occasionally gets in the Sargassum Fish for sale. Warties are tougher to find around here, and cost upwards of $100. I might try Marine Depot when it warms up -in another tank of course.
Old 01/06/2004, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Do yourself a favor if you are really interested in keeping a frogfish.......buy/borrow a copy of Scott Michael's "Reef Fishes," Volume 1.

There is a huge section in the book devoted entirely to frogfish. It will answer all your questions and then some. You will then be well-informed when purchasing your first frogfish. I, myself, am looking for a painted or warty frogfish as they stay small (about 4 inches)........Good luck and enjoy your new friend

Janey
Old 01/06/2004, 09:35 AM
VILP

I believe the terms "frogfish" and "angler" are pretty much the same. At any rate, to know the potential size of the fish, you need to know the specific species of frogfish. Only about two of them just get to about 4". Many of the others have the potential to get football sized. Distinguishing between some of the species is supposed to be tricky. Check out www.wetwebmedia.com/anglerfishes.htm for lots of photos and info. I have no idea if any of these guys can turn entirely purple, but many can make huge color changes to allow them to blend in with their environment better. I have personally had one go from entirely black to red/orange w/ sponge like markings in a very short period of time (about a week) to match the tree sponge I put in his tank.

Cheri
Old 01/06/2004, 10:21 AM
Professional somedays

How are they about not eating your fingers? They won't come out and try anything while your in the tank will they? Thanks for the website, I did a search on esca and lure and came up with some more information. I will read the book by Scott Michael. Does the clown angler only come in the two colors? B/c if so maybe I should get a little larger tank and go with the Giant Angler, A. commerson.
Old 01/06/2004, 10:29 AM
VILP

I've had two frogfish and often have my hands in their tanks. I also often gently and slowly pick my frogfish up and move them elsewhere in the tank if they are in the way of whatever maintenance I need to perform. I've never been bitten.

Cheri
Old 01/06/2004, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I've handled and moved my frogfish with ease.It just trys to swim away-it's no too good at swimming I might add.
Old 01/06/2004, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

It's not really that Elmer nips at my fingers, he's just trying to get my attention.
He actually swims to my hand, often getting in the way.

We have a funeral tonight for our Yellow Tang. He seems to have been struck with the fish equivalent of the Ebola Virus. He had a small spot, went to QT, 3 days later he lost fins, eyes clouded and he croaked.
I'm watching his tankmates very carefully.
Old 01/06/2004, 07:14 PM
VILP

Allimar - I don't want to alarm you, but what you are describing w/ your Yellow Tang sounds quite serious and may be contagious. I suggest you post a description (and picture if you have it) in the Fish Disease forum and see if someone knows what you are dealing with!

Cheri
Old 01/06/2004, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Found online:

Lots of good information here:
http://www.starfish.ch/frogfish/Behavior.html
Old 01/06/2004, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I already researched it.
The Tang, admittedly too large for our current tank (we have a larger one on the way) liked to swim in and out of the rock.
In doing so, he managed to scrape a small area of his side (8x8mm). Couple the injury with his affinity for the wrong type of food (he preferred the Formula 1, not algae-based food), and he left himself susceptable to a bacterial infection.
He hid out for a day in one of the larger caves, only coming out to feed quickly, then returning to the cave.
The next day, he stopped eating. Upon "flashlight" inspection, we noticed mucous building up on him =time to go to the sick tank.
He was in the sick tank for 3 days, undergoing Triple Sulfa therapy. Eyes became noticeably cloudy and bulged. The last 24 hours saw him losing his fins.
He died this afternoon.

Whatever got him was seriously fast moving, and seemed to take advantage of what should have been a minor injury.
I have been monitoring his tankmates for 4 days, no symptoms are showing, and they are all eating well.
It's a FO tank, so there's no super-sensitive inverts (unless you want to count the 'stars) to show us any glaring problems in our water quality.
pH -8.2
SG -1.024
Temp -76
Ammonia -0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate -<10ppm at all times. We do a 25% every 10 days.

Other animals do not appear stressed.
We hope that this was a freak occurence. It was pretty painful to watch such a beautiful and outgoing fish waste away in less than a week.
Lesson learned. QT and treat any injury as soon as it is noticed.
Old 01/06/2004, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

My frogfish seems to have a fast metabolism.I feed him 5 guppies and the next day his stomach is flat-the large guppies too,that are also pregnant.
Old 01/06/2004, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Anyone who wants to help a fellow frogfish lover go here
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...77#post2209677
Old 01/07/2004, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Exactly what inverts cannot be housed with frogfish? I know they will make short work of shrimp, but what about crabs and snails?

I was given a 29gal, with all the rock, but the rock is covered in bubble algea, hair algea and some brown. I don't really want to have to buy snails and crabs to rid this stuff, and just sell them back. And, I don't really know of any people around here that I can borrow snails and crabs from.

Thanks

Mark
Old 01/08/2004, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

crabs and snails are safe.
Old 01/08/2004, 08:32 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_OR
Exactly what inverts cannot be housed with frogfish? I know they will make short work of shrimp, but what about crabs and snails?
I personally wouldn't bet on a crab being safe. Scott Michael, in his Frogfish chapter of "Reef Fishes Vol 1" says that frogfishes consume "shrimp, crabs and mantis shrimp that approach too closely" in addition to fish.

Cheri
Old 01/08/2004, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I was wondering about the same thing.
I know that Hermits and snails are o.k.
I wanted to get a Peppermint Shrimp to assist me in a *small* Aipstasia problem. I figure that the shrimp will spend much of his time in hiding. Since Elmer prefers to swim and stalk his food, maybe there won't be any unfortunate encounters between them?
Old 01/08/2004, 09:12 AM
VILP

If I was a bettin' gal, I'd bet heavily that eventually your Peppermint Shrimp would provide your frogfish a tasty and expensive snack! Since shrimp are one of their natural food sources, I suspect Elmer will swim and stalk that Pepperment until he's lunch

If it is any help, I recently spoke with Anthony Calfo about the Berghia nudibranchs he's raising for Aiptasia control. He said my frogfish wouldn't touch the nudibranchs if I put some in there with him.

Cheri
Old 01/08/2004, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

I'll have to research the requirements of the nudibranches before I commit to anything. I don't want him to starve to death after the anemone are gone.
I'm killing them one at a time (as soon as they get large enough to swallow a syringe w/a few drops of lemon juice) for now.
Old 01/08/2004, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

We should make a list of the things that an angler definately won't eat, based on personal observation.
Here's my small contribution:

1. Turbo Snails
2. Hermit crabs
3. Starfish
4. Macroalgae (I know, I know, but then I have a Serpent Star that eats flake food )
Old 01/08/2004, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

I once caught Dudley stalking a fighting conch I had added to clean up the sandbed. The conch was large......about 2 inches long but I could see in Dudley's eyes what he had on his mind! I really have to wonder if snails are safe with all frogfish.

I've been waiting for the LFS to find a replacement for Dudley and I'm hopeful that starting tomorrow I won't be frogfishless anymore. My friend called and told me about a black giant (Commerson) that was available. It is from Hawaai which is unusuall and very pricey.......$295.00 wholesale The supplier has had it for 3 weeks and it's not selling at that price so they came down considerably ($130.00). They had several people interested at that price but I had first chance at it. My friend is not going to add her usuall markup to it because as it grows if I can't keep it she wants it Anyway I'm excited, and hopeful that it will come in okay. It will be at her store tomorrow between one and three so will know more then. He's eating thawed frozen food and about 4 inches long right now. Can't wait to see him......he's supposed to be a beaut! If things go well I'll be sending a pic soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Janey
Old 01/08/2004, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Cherie
If it is any help, I recently spoke with Anthony Calfo about the Berghia nudibranchs he's raising for Aiptasia control. He said my frogfish wouldn't touch the nudibranchs if I put some in there with him.

Cheri
You know, that was gonna be my next question...THANKS!

Mark
Old 01/08/2004, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Fishy thats so exciting. I hope youll share some pictures with us. I once saw a comersons that was as big as a basket ball. That would definately be a showpiece animal...
Old 01/08/2004, 07:32 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_OR
You know, that was gonna be my next question...THANKS!

Mark
Mark - I should probably have noted that just like with other fish, individual frogfish have their own personality. While the majority of them aren't likely to touch a nudibranch, Fishy1 had an oddball that was stalking a conch...perhaps that guy would have stalked anything that moved! Your frogfish's tastes may vary If you pay top $$ for some nudibranchs and you happen to have a rogue, nudibranch-eating angler, please don't blame me (or Anthony Calfo)

Cheri
Old 01/08/2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I'll send some pics tomorrow, Rachel Hopefully he'll be comimg home with me Be fun to see how quick he grows......

Janey
Old 01/09/2004, 07:26 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Sorry for the long delay in posting these pics. Been a little busy lately and hopefully, things are going to be a little calmer for me. So, here are the pics of the angler that's at the LFS near me. I'm only posting pics cuz I like anglers and haven't seen one this large at a LFS before, not because I'm trying to sell it, so plz, don't ask me to post the store name.

This little bugger is larger than a softball. While it's not too wild about being touched, it didn't try any rapid escapes while I moved it into position so I could grab a few pictures of it. I tried to include a few pictures with other objects around the tank that this fish is in to give you a concept of how large this angler is. I think the tank it's in is 12" tall just to give you an idea.

Large Angler Gallery