Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Oceanic Bio Cube 29g VS. Current Aqua Pod 24g

I'm thinking of either putting an AquaFuge2 PS on my 29g long tank i currently have or doing a complete overhaul and buying either an Oceanic 29g Bio Cube or a Current 24g Aqua Pod with a stand to keep all of my fishy stuff in (the wife hates that i have fish equipment cluttered in a corner around my tank) as the stand i have now isn't really made for a fish tank and doesn't have any storage capacity. What are the pros/cons of these cubes? Is one better then the other? Any info/opinions would be appreciated!!!
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
2 Hydor Koralia Model 1's
Old 10/19/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

come on people...bump!
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
Old 10/19/2006, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Have you seen the new tank from REDSEA?

http://www.redseafish.com/max.asp

also same problem with my wife next tank must have a stand with doors.
Old 10/19/2006, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Rumor has it that those RedSea units are $800 wholesale. I presonally like the looks of the oceanic. Have no experience with them but they look cool.

Joe
Old 10/19/2006, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Anyone know if you can pre-order the RedSea and what website?

Does it come with stand?
Old 10/19/2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I've heard the only problems with the AquaPod/BioCube's are that you can't fit a skimmer in them unless you go topless which kind of takes away from their cool, everything inside hood feature.
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
Old 10/19/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

bump
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
Old 10/19/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Tunze makes a skimmer that will fit a 29g biocube but you have to make some minor alterations. You can still keep the top on with it also. You will need to trim a small area on the top for the skimmer cup to fit but the lid will close and the structural integrity is not affected. You will also have to remove most, if not all, of the bio balls in the center because that is the only place the skimmer will fit.

I have the 29g biocube and the reason i picked it was (in my opinion) the fit and finish was a little better than the 24g aquapod. I also liked the notion of the 5 extra gallons of water. I have not fixed it up to run a skimmer. I am just running it in the stock configuration. There are pics of it in the nano forum, and a couple other biocube users in that forum including one with pictures of his biocube with the Tunze skimmer.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saltwater Kid
I've heard the only problems with the AquaPod/BioCube's are that you can't fit a skimmer in them unless you go topless which kind of takes away from their cool, everything inside hood feature.
I have an Aquapod and a Nanocube. I run both skimmerless. I had the Fission skimmer but it never worked properly so I took it out. The Nanocube was my first tank and the space I have for it was very limited and an all-in-one tank was really my only option. The back chambers on the Nanocube are larger and easier to access, and it has a remote ballast for the lighting which cuts down on heating issues which I have with my Aquapod. I need to add an additional fan to the hood which I understand will eliminate some of the problem. Both tanks are nice, but I think I like the NC the best.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

rlm2005...you keep saying nanocube, is that the same thing as Oceanics Biocube or something different?
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
Old 10/19/2006, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saltwater Kid
rlm2005...you keep saying nanocube, is that the same thing as Oceanics Biocube or something different?
The Nanocube is made by JBJ, not the same as the Oceanics one. It was one of the first all-in-ones on the market. Unfortunately there were issues with them cracking, though I believe the new ones are being made with thicker glass.
Old 10/19/2006, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

i have a bio cube 29 and love it. looked at the jbj and aqua cube but the ocaenic is far better made and now that nano tuners is making upgrades for it, life is good. i am going to put the tunze skimmer in mine. good luck
Old 10/25/2006, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Wink Aqua pod VS Bio Cibe

I have had my Current Aqua Pod set up now for about 4 months and I'm looking in to the Oceanic Bio Cube!! The back "filter chamber" of the aqua pod is not very impressive, very limited space. I have talked to Ike at current-USA several times and he is very helpful at helping with modding questions and at one point he even sent me free stuff ie 40watt light bulbs at no charge. But over all I'm not overly impressed with the Aqua pod and also the Nano Fusion skimmer! I have been skimmer since the first week of operation...
Maybe I'm asking too much out of a nano aquarium? But when you spend that kind of money on a tank and stand I think you should get something that works.. All that is in the back "filter" of my aquapod is the heater and the pump that I had to upgrade!!!

Any questions on the Current-USA Aquapod just IM me and ill tell you!!
Old 11/16/2006, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

I have already replaced the hood on my Oceanic once and will have to replace it again. The lights keep screwing up and the actinic bulb goes out. Not the actual bulb, the fixture itself is going bad. So two down and hopefully Oceanic is fixing the problem.
Old 11/16/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I don't think I could ever bring myself to purchase a tank that had a red sea brand skimmer built into it, especially since it looks like a prizm from the the diagram..

Old 11/16/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

The BioCubes are nice little tanks for the price.

aquaman222, make sure to tighten the screws holding the remote ballasts on the BioCube together, I've heard rumors of them coming loose due to shipping vibrations, and then shorting out after running for a bit.
Old 11/16/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaman222
I have already replaced the hood on my Oceanic once and will have to replace it again. The lights keep screwing up and the actinic bulb goes out. Not the actual bulb, the fixture itself is going bad. So two down and hopefully Oceanic is fixing the problem.
is it the ballast? isn't it external?