Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2006, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

The Oceans pH Level Is Falling

Not good news at all.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/b...y-Levels.xhtml
Old 07/06/2006, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

OMG! All this unchallenged evidence from the scientific journal USA Today. From 8.2 to 8.1 in only 206 years! What ever will we do? If someone took the time to write it down it must all be true. No use looking at any other evidence or causations.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Dear lord, please safegaurd our passage to the other side for we are all doomed.

Amen

MIke
Old 07/06/2006, 03:36 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by MCary
OMG! All this unchallenged evidence from the scientific journal USA Today. From 8.2 to 8.1 in only 206 years! What ever will we do? If someone took the time to write it down it must all be true. No use looking at any other evidence or causations.

Dear lord, please safegaurd our passage to the other side for we are all doomed.

Amen

MIke

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 07/06/2006, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Good now I don't need to use so much buffer to keep my tank just like the oceans.
Old 07/06/2006, 03:54 PM
See if you can pingaso it

"OMG! All this unchallenged evidence from the scientific journal USA Today. From 8.2 to 8.1 in only 206 years! What ever will we do? If someone took the time to write it down it must all be true. No use looking at any other evidence or causations.

Amen

MIke"

Wooohhahahahahahahhahaha
Old 07/06/2006, 04:21 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

This is taking into account that the pH of our oceans was also lower at certain points in time. Just one potential problem in an a literal ocean of potential problems--95% of which have little real evidence behind them (or none, for that matter).
Old 07/06/2006, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Amen

MIke
Well why don't you publish your theories on the subject. I am sure your expertise is much more than NOAA's. 20 years ago people like you scoffed at the report that a hole in the ozone layer had appeared over the south pole ..... that is until they got satellite imagery of it. Now, skin cancer rates for Patgonia are 3 times higher. Glaciers are disappearing all over the world. Areas in Antarctica that have been covered in ice since recorded history are now without any snow cover at all. Amphibian populations are going extinct. 206 years is a blink in geological time. It may not have a major impact on you personally, right now, but 50 or a hundred years down the road..... Just look what ph and temp changes can do in your tank. Unfortunately, the short sided attitudes such as yours is going to reek havoc on this planet. Yours, and the governments, attitude is that you have not been shown any direct link. I expect you will still deny global warming even when the ocean is lapping at the base of the Lincoln Memorial and Antarctica is the new summer vacation spot.
Old 07/06/2006, 04:36 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

I know I wasn't really scoffing at the concept--it could certainly be the case. I think, however, we should look at these things more objectively, in that we should look for other potential causes, immediate problems, and other theories. At the very least, we should await more information on things such as this before we assign it as a real problem, etc. It is just too early in this particular instance to give it too much credit.
Old 07/06/2006, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Well why don't you publish your theories on the subject. I am sure your expertise is much more than NOAA's. 20 years ago people like you scoffed at the report that a hole in the ozone layer had appeared over the south pole ..... that is until they got satellite imagery of it. Now, skin cancer rates for Patgonia are 3 times higher. Glaciers are disappearing all over the world. Areas in Antarctica that have been covered in ice since recorded history are now without any snow cover at all. Amphibian populations are going extinct. 206 years is a blink in geological time. It may not have a major impact on you personally, right now, but 50 or a hundred years down the road..... Just look what ph and temp changes can do in your tank. Unfortunately, the short sided attitudes such as yours is going to reek havoc on this planet. Yours, and the governments, attitude is that you have not been shown any direct link. I expect you will still deny global warming even when the ocean is lapping at the base of the Lincoln Memorial and Antarctica is the new summer vacation spot.
Oh, get over yourself. Quoting all your doomsday scenarios. I could counter your statements with facts such as, Antarctica's ice which is 95% of the worlds ice is increasing at a rate of 27 gigatons a year based on side scan radar measurements, or that the western shelf is showing a reversal of a 6000 year old warming trend, or that alpine glaciers are remnants of a mini ice age during the middle ages and melting is expected. But the dogmatic believers wouldn't listen anyway. The dooms day cult called global warming has an agenda. So lets just say this:

Global warming or Global climate change as its now called is not a moral debate. It is an engineering one. There is absolutely nothing anyone of us can do about it. Only new technology will save us, if the theory that global warming is anthropologic.
I am not going to destroy the planet by grilling a ball park frank on my back yard BBQ. The world population is now 6 billion people. In 50 years it will be 9 billion. Unless we plan to see to it that most of the world stays impoverished, these 9 billion are going to have high energy needs. All the fossil fuels are eventually going to get burnt. Prevention is not going to help. Choosing more green stuff isn't going to help.

So lets get of our moral high horse, fire up the SUV, and enjoy life without all the unnecessary guilt trips.

Mike
Old 07/06/2006, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

PS. I thought you might be interested in seeing a weather chart of the closest city to that Antartica place that is supposed to be melting.

Old 07/06/2006, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

The fact remains that reefs are retreating or completely dying off all over the world. Whether this has anything to do with global warming (and by extrapolation the lowing of ph) we do not know.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with man at all.

I for one, would like to know the cause. If this pH drop is in fact true, I hope they follow up with some real proof.
Old 07/06/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Mike - What is your careless attitude doing to remedy the situation besides mocking individuals who try to bring topics of discussion to those who are supposed to care the most about the state of our oceans and our planet in general?
Old 07/06/2006, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

And I hope that no one has a careless attitude towards the retreating of coral reefs.

Furthermore, whether global warming is real or not ( I have yet to be convinced) has nothing to do with whether you should act callously toward the environment.
No one should be saying: "there's nothing I can do to stop it, so I'll just resolve to make it worse."
Old 07/06/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

And there it is. Because you care, you're morally superior. If you buy a hybrid car because its green, your the savior of the planet. If I buy one to save money on gas, I'm just a republican. All the world problems will all go away if we just "care" ooooooooh "feelings, nothing more that feeeeeeeeeeeeelings, trying to forget those........feelings"

Let me tell you what my careless attitude is doing to remedy the situation. Exactly as much as your caring attitudes. And I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy to worry about things beyond my control.

Mike
Old 07/06/2006, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Today I feel like responding to a post like this.

Quote:
And there it is. Because you care, you're morally superior.
Yes.
We are all beings with the ability to reason rationally, and use our mental powers to correct a problem provided it is possible to correct.

Quote:
If you buy a hybrid car because its green, your the savior of the planet. If I buy one to save money on gas, I'm just a republican.
Or you might buy one to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. There are many good reasons you might buy a hybrid car. If you bought one to help the security of our nation so we wouldn't have to keep paying money to people who dislike us I would applaud you as well.

Of course maybe you haul heavy farm equipment all day and you need a large car. Fine with me. Even if you just like driving a big car. That's cool too.
Just don't go around ridiculing people for driving a small car.

Quote:
All the world problems will all go away if we just "care" ooooooooh "feelings, nothing more that feeeeeeeeeeeeelings, trying to forget those........feelings"
That is a childish comment.

Quote:
Let me tell you what my careless attitude is doing to remedy the situation. Exactly as much as your caring attitudes. And I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy to worry about things beyond my control.
We are all busy. I want the working class and business people to keep doing what they are doing that makes this country great.
But no one is too busy to help the environment, or our country's security in some small way. It's very simple and easy to do. It makes a lot of economic sense most of the time.

Last edited by physicslord; 07/06/2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07/06/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

If people doubt global warming then they are wrong - it definitely is occuring, in fact without it the temperature of the Earth would be 34 centigrade cooler. What scientists debate is whether the pollution that humans generate is contributing to increasing the greenhouse layer of gases, or whether its impact is minimal and the fluctuations in the Earth's temperature are caused naturally (there is solid evidence that the temperature of the Earth changes in a cycle - just as there is evidence that the Earth has periods of ice age and warmer interludes that cycle constantly).
Old 07/06/2006, 07:10 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Flobajob
If people doubt global warming then they are wrong - it definitely is occuring, in fact without it the temperature of the Earth would be 34 centigrade cooler. What scientists debate is whether the pollution that humans generate is contributing to increasing the greenhouse layer of gases, or whether its impact is minimal and the fluctuations in the Earth's temperature are caused naturally (there is solid evidence that the temperature of the Earth changes in a cycle - just as there is evidence that the Earth has periods of ice age and warmer interludes that cycle constantly).
You hit it right on the head for me. We aren't that far from the ice age in earth terms. I believe we are heading back to the days of tropical climtaes. The corals will move to areas more suitable for them to thrive in.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 07/06/2006, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

I think it's the 7.9 you should be looking at. In any case, it's pretty mind boggling when you think of the volume of Sea Water on the planet and think of how much of anything you would need to add to the water to lower the pH by .1

Quote:

Amen

MIke
Old 07/06/2006, 08:20 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'm sure in 1800 they had great pH measuring capabilities I bet.
Old 07/06/2006, 08:22 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrstangx
I'm sure in 1800 they had great pH measuring capabilities I bet.
It's measured by taking ice core samples.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 07/06/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

If you take in to account that the Earth has survived this long and every thing has evolved to what it has become now. Species have used the old termanolgy "survival of the fittest". Meaning species capable of handeling what comes it way survives and then flurishes and mate and many years down the road we get a new species! That is how the world has evolved for many many many many years. Yes we need to take care of our planet but do not scare everyone half to death.
Old 07/06/2006, 09:19 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopestar075
If you take in to account that the Earth has survived this long and every thing has evolved to what it has become now. Species have used the old termanolgy "survival of the fittest". Meaning species capable of handeling what comes it way survives and then flurishes and mate and many years down the road we get a new species! That is how the world has evolved for many many many many years. Yes we need to take care of our planet but do not scare everyone half to death.
*sarcasm on* Ummm, excuse me? Sir? Pardon me. I would just like to point out that, well, your planet is having some problems. Maybe you would like to look at the data...oh, I'm sorry, you look to be very busy. I'll come back later. *sarcasm off*

The fact is that this stuff IS pretty scary. I personally don't want to live through a mass extinction (which we already are, unfortunately) and make humanity wait a couple million years for evolution to take its course.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 07/06/2006, 09:19 PM
Nature is my valium =)

I'm waiting for the day this planet exterminates us. Couldn't say I'd blame it... you don't see any other animals exploiting it as well as we do. And before I get jumped on... NO I'm not out hugging trees. I should be but I am not. Just a little Cherokee heritage showing through with my belief that some things are more important than the fate of humanity... survival of the fittest... we shall see, we shall see.

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 07/06/2006, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

It's scary when I wonder what is going to survive these upcoming generations after many plants and animals get *snuffed out*
It's going to be all the scrappy animals (I'm thinking roaches, weeds, and such?) that were able to live and thrive in less than optimal conditions.
Gone will be the days of the giants like elephants and whales.
Old 07/06/2006, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

DOH!
Sorry, I didn't mean to put that smiley in there...