Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/02/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

lets see your barebottom

TANKS....my friend suggested that i go without sand, just liverock, got any pics, any suggestions pros cons.. its a 60 cube, with 10 gal refuge, and 30 gal sump, thanks//Kevin
Old 01/02/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

bump???
Old 01/02/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't do it on a reef tank. Hell, I wouldn't do it on a FOWLR tank. You need the sand bed in order to filter the tank right. The only place for a bare bottom is in the quar. tank. Or if you are breeding Discus.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

wow...Newlin, you might have just started WWIII.
Do a search on reef central or google, and you will see plenty of BAre Bottom tanks.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Lol, I havent read anything about it. I can see the advantages of it being able to clean alittle better. But, I just always have seen that the sand bed is very usefull in a reef. And the remote DSB is even better. I guess I will learn something here, so I will stick around on this one .
Old 01/02/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

yeah BB is pretty common now, I run one. You would use a large skimmer and many use a RDSB and possibly chaeto. Its main purpose is to allow for greater flow for sps and keep detritus suspended so the skimmer can suck it out the water column.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:54 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by bj32482
wow...Newlin, you might have just started WWIII.

world war III if there was any merit whatsoever to his statements. but there isnt

BB tanks can handle high flow and set up well can handle much more feeding without issues that a tank with sand can. I currently run both although when it comes time to replace the sand in my DSB tank it will be going BB as well....

As far as needing the sand for filtration that is a bunch of hooey
Old 01/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Merit? You know what, some things are better left unsaid.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:12 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Newlin
some things are better left unsaid.
Your original brilliant post comes to mind
Old 01/02/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

i dont want to take pictures of my barebottom because the mods will shut this thread down..

seriously though, i tink BB have a nice look. i dont have it but the reason not was because of my goby/shrimp pair.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't want to appear as if I am offering advice on the biological pros/cons of the bb. That would be reef rookie suicide. LOL.
However mine is now bb mostly because I am running four Tunze 6100's and a wavebox. I love the flow offer however you can see it limits my ability to keep a sandbed.
I do have a fuge with chaeto and a DSB and no real troubles to speak of.
Good luck!!
Old 01/02/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

If you want an algae free tank and all your BB questions answered go here http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=164
The only thing you will get at RC is alot of contradiction and wise a$$ remarks. Thats why alot of us have moved over to the dark side
Old 01/02/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
world war III if there was any merit whatsoever to his statements. but there isnt

BB tanks can handle high flow and set up well can handle much more feeding without issues that a tank with sand can. I currently run both although when it comes time to replace the sand in my DSB tank it will be going BB as well....

As far as needing the sand for filtration that is a bunch of hooey
agreed. to say a sand bed is necessary is crazy. people who bash bb have never taken the time to set one up properly or have never had the experience of seeing a beautiful bb set up. I have had both and love my bb, will never go back.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

I have also done both, and had a recent bb tank that used a remote dsb fuge and had a thriving sps reef. My new 28 gallon tank is bb, no fuge or sand whatsoever. I also use a skimmer rated for a 150 gallon heavily stocked tank. I run undectable nitrates and phosphates. Plenty of sps reefers run bb, just check out the sps forum right now, there is a thread about those who run sps tanks with sand. Having a sps tank is considered as hard as it gets in this hobby, so saying that it is not possible to run a proper reef without sand is untrue. Not to stir up the pot or anything.....lol..
Old 01/03/2008, 12:57 AM
Dance 4 Life

This will help you in your quest.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Anybody else thinking Darwin Award?
Old 01/03/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

WOW everyone thanks a ton..
Old 01/03/2008, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

The TOTM (Dec 2007) is a barebottom and one of the most spectacular tanks I have seen.