Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/11/2008, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

4' x 4' x 2' build

Hi all

I've been running a 4 x 1.5 x 2 for a year now and loving it. Especially with the information and help I have received from firstly Reef Central, and also MASA, it really enhances this fascinating hobby in which I have had a passion for 20 years now (mainly freshwater).

Here's the plan:

I plan to run it ssb with rdsb.

Skimmer: Tunze 9010 skimmer

Calcium reactor: Tunze Automat

Phosphate reactor: Phosban

Lighting: 3 250w MH's with lumenarc mini's

Flow: 2 modded tunze 6045's, a 6101 and a 6201.

ATO: gravity fed from large bin outside. (very high tech!)

Pictures shortly. Thanks for looking.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

New tank: 48" x 48" x 24" with internal overflow in corner.

Sump: 36" x 14" x 18" tank.

RDSB: fine silica sand in a 65litre crate.

Stand: Simple bare bones wooden stand. My father is a cabinet maker. We plan to install decorative removable panels on the outside of the stand soon.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Finally after a couple of months of ordering things like new lights, tunze pumps, a tank and stand, and more salt, my big tank arrived!

Damn this thing was heavy. Took 5 of us to carry the thing inside. We had to turn it on its side to get it through the doorway.

I also ordered a simple stand to put the tank on. I requested it to be 1 metre high, for easier viewing, and easy access to the filters etc underneath. My father is a cabinet maker. Together we are going to add some panels to the outside of the stand to make it look 'pretty'. Going on the rest of his furniture it should come up a treat when finished.

Well here are some photos. Enjoy.

My father and I talking cabinet options. My daughter and 2 smaller nieces in the foreground.

The stand is 1 metre high, allowing for easy access underneath, and a really good height to view the tank.

I placed some based rock in the tank straight away. Just getting ideas for aquascaping. I plan to have a fairly open aquascape. I love the look of the space. Inspired by invincible569 which is amazing.

More shortly. This will be a quick build as i have everything waiting ready to go.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Very nice looking. Suspending the MH from the ceiling or building a custom stand for them?
Old 01/11/2008, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. Suspending from the ceiling on a metal frame, similar to my current 90g
Old 01/11/2008, 12:57 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I read you plan on putting silica in the RDSB... bad move. Silica is glass, and therefore it doesnt breathe very well at all like aragonite. Also, the glass may seem fine and soft on our skin, but its murder on fish gills, as well as any other organisms that have to live in it. Also, the acids that develop in a DSB/Plenum allow phosphates to bind with the calcium in aragonite: without the aragonite, this wont be possible and you will have a phosphate factory.

So I would suggest two things...
1. make the RBSB from aragonite, perhaps a coarse grain for about 3", and then a screen on that and topped with a finer grain (not sugar arag though, but .5-1.5mm arag) on top for 2-3".
2. make it a plenum. research is showing that in the long term, DSB's act as nutrient sinks, but when they fill up, they can backfire. The reason is that they lack the large open anoxic zone of a plenum. So get out the eggcrate! The two DSB's I ran were both plenums, and the cool thing was that I had a pipe running under the plenum with a valve to drain it. This was cool because once a month or so I could drain off a bit of that foul water from in the plenum, detritus, etc... to keep it from clogging up. I only did maybe a gallon at a time, usually 1/2 that, but Im sure it kept the plenum in much better shape because it prevented buildup.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Is that rock staying in the tank?
Old 01/11/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Is that rock even for a reef?
Old 01/11/2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I read you plan on putting silica in the RDSB... bad move. Silica is glass, and therefore it doesnt breathe very well at all like aragonite. Also, the glass may seem fine and soft on our skin, but its murder on fish gills, as well as any other organisms that have to live in it. Also, the acids that develop in a DSB/Plenum allow phosphates to bind with the calcium in aragonite: without the aragonite, this wont be possible and you will have a phosphate factory.

So I would suggest two things...
1. make the RBSB from aragonite, perhaps a coarse grain for about 3", and then a screen on that and topped with a finer grain (not sugar arag though, but .5-1.5mm arag) on top for 2-3".
2. make it a plenum. research is showing that in the long term, DSB's act as nutrient sinks, but when they fill up, they can backfire. The reason is that they lack the large open anoxic zone of a plenum. So get out the eggcrate! The two DSB's I ran were both plenums, and the cool thing was that I had a pipe running under the plenum with a valve to drain it. This was cool because once a month or so I could drain off a bit of that foul water from in the plenum, detritus, etc... to keep it from clogging up. I only did maybe a gallon at a time, usually 1/2 that, but Im sure it kept the plenum in much better shape because it prevented buildup.
Thanks for the advice. However I've seen Dr Ron Shimek recommend fine silica sand for in tank dsb's. Not that I don't believe you but I've used one before with silica and it worked well, and I'm happy to trust Ron.

Last edited by mxett; 01/11/2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by customclimates
Is that rock even for a reef?
Well I personally 'collected' these rocks from rock pools areas at a beach I was holidaying at in December. They would have been weathered by the sea in those rock pools for hundreds, thousands or millions of years so I think they have cured pretty well. If mother nature put them there I am sure they will work in my tank.

Besides, they are 'base' rock. I am going to put lots of my current tank live rock all over them. They are only there to add structure.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I dont think that rock will hurt, but it does not look porous in the least, so it doesnt seem like it will do a very good job of biological filtration. but that said, its not gonna hurt anything either. The one other suggestion I have is not going with the Tunze 9010, you need waaaaay more skimmer than that. Did I mention you need more skimmer? Kidding aside, I have one on my 125 and it is way undersized. Unless you are doing fish only Id look to other options for your skimmer.

Love the tank otherwise tho, those dimensions are very cool, I'll be interested to see how this one unfolds.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/12/2008, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
I dont think that rock will hurt, but it does not look porous in the least, so it doesnt seem like it will do a very good job of biological filtration. but that said, its not gonna hurt anything either. The one other suggestion I have is not going with the Tunze 9010, you need waaaaay more skimmer than that. Did I mention you need more skimmer? Kidding aside, I have one on my 125 and it is way undersized. Unless you are doing fish only Id look to other options for your skimmer.

Love the tank otherwise tho, those dimensions are very cool, I'll be interested to see how this one unfolds.
Thanks.

I believe the tunze 9010 is rated for around 200 to 250g. Having said that, I also realise that most people over-spec their skimmers. I plan on keeping the tank fairly open, aquascaping wise, so I think it should handle a 200g lightly stocked with no problems. I also plan to be pretty consistent with medium to large water changes so that should help.

If I find I need more skimming power I can always upgrade later on.

I also take your point about the rocks. Yes they are not the most porous option but a lot of base rock sold I have seen is not. As I have said, I will be adding about the same amount again in LR, as well as having a fairly large rdsb, so I'm confident that should handle a medium to light bioload.

The tank is slowly filling with ro water as we speak. Shouldn't be long until its full. I have leak tested the overflow and associated plumbing and all is good. I don't intend to do anything fancy plumbing wise, as all of my flow is from tunzes in the tank, so I'm happy to go fill the tank (almost) without the sump in place yet (as I haven't got it yet)

Here is a picture.