Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 03:45 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I was just wondering. For all you demanding your right to know what Sanjay's research turned up. How much did you pay Sanjay to produce this study for you? Did he promise you a specific deadline for releasing the material? I would be interested to know what he charged you for doing this light study. I know he does most of the work after he is finished with his day job. I'd want at least time and a half of my normal salary for doing that. What does a PHD earn nowdays?
Old 10/21/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Most PHD's bag groceries or work at Walmart these days.
Couldn't resist.

SanJay doesn't owe the public anything, its his livelyhood. It is probably time for more grassroots data anyway. I could never understand why Sanjay would test a reflector 6 inches from the bulb and various other stuff.

I like the way Grim tests bulbs, much more practical for the Hobbiest.
Old 10/21/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Lay off guys,

If you go see Sanjay speak he makes it clear that doing all this testing out of his free time gets to be a burden. He doesn't have to do it, he is a busy Professor of Engineering after all, he also has a family and a reeftank at home (and we all know how much work that is!) and he helps maintain the University reef tank--which is large.

Maybe someone who saw him speak recently at MACNA or elsewhere could chime in and share what Sanjay presented about his T-5 testing so far? I'm interested also, but not enough to push Sanjay out of the the work he has done for free to benefit all hobbyists.

James
Old 10/21/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

lol... phd earns you min. wage these days.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

I don't see anyone demanding that Sanjay post his results. Quite the opposite - we all know he has a demanding schedule and are very appreciative of everything he's done. Obviously this is of interest to everyone and we are anxious to hear how things turned out.

Personally, I'd rather hear what Sanjay has to say (when he's ready) and not everyone else's opinions on what he's thinking. If he plans on releasing the results in a week - fine. If it's six months, that's fine too. If he says 4 weeks and it takes him 12, we understand things got busy in life and that's the way it goes for volunteer work. If he says that he's never releasing the results - so be it.

Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rEd86
I don't see anyone demanding that Sanjay post his results. Quite the opposite - we all know he has a demanding schedule and are very appreciative of everything he's done. Obviously this is of interest to everyone and we are anxious to hear how things turned out.

Personally, I'd rather hear what Sanjay has to say (when he's ready) and not everyone else's opinions on what he's thinking. If he plans on releasing the results in a week - fine. If it's six months, that's fine too. If he says 4 weeks and it takes him 12, we understand things got busy in life and that's the way it goes for volunteer work. If he says that he's never releasing the results - so be it.

Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
Agreed. No one is demanding anything.