Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society (NFMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2006, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

How high is your stand and why.

Well before I make my final cut on mine, whats yours?
Old 04/09/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

I built mine to 34" high. The next one will be 38" to 40" after seeing robs sps frag tank stand. The added height allows me to see the tank w/o having to bend down and it allows me to stick a taller skimmer under the stand, however I am going to go with a sump room when I get a new house.
Old 04/09/2006, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

36" so I can easily see the contents without bending over. I also like the appearance of the aquarium setup as a whole with a taller stand. While it affords more room for equipment under the tank, it makes it more difficult for vertically challenged people like myself to do maintenance in the tank. A fair trade-off I think.
Old 04/09/2006, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

I built mine 39'' tall. With a 30" tall tank and I'm 6'0. Makes viewing for me just right. Along with the 39" stand, it makes more room for equipment underneath, but I still need a small step ladder to do work inside of the tank. Of course the percentage is viewing and not diving.
Old 04/09/2006, 01:08 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

There is definitely a trade off. I built my stand 30" tall and my tank is 30" tall. I wish I had gone taller for viewing but the trade off is having to be on a step ladder everytime you want to do anything. I'm 6'3" so @ 60" the top of the tank is at armpit height. Means I can do some things like feed or glue something at the top but anymore than that and I'm my little folding scaffold.
Old 04/09/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

One is 46" tall, cause it used to be a window between 2 rooms. It looks cool but is difficult to manuever. My other tank is 40" tall and to me it is the perfect height, you dont have to bend down to see everything.
Old 04/10/2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

My 225 fish only is on a 42" stand. The tank measures 96" L x 30" H x 18". It's awesome for viewing but a ROYAL PAIN to do anything. Anything & everything has to be done using a step stool. I also have to remember to TURN OFF THE CEILING FAN. OUCH!!!! My 210 reef is on a 36". Have to use a step stool only to the reach bottom & for cleaning.
Old 04/10/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

And the winner is 40 inches, I will have to get a step for the very bottom back but thats a small trade for the view.
Old 04/10/2006, 04:46 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

Hey Dave, good choice!! Just a thought, this is the step platform I got at Costco for work in the tank. I like it better than a step ladder cause you have a little bit of room to maneuver if you need to. Plus it's got the tray that hold stuff so you don't have to get off and on so much. Thought I'd share.

edit: That may not give you enough heigth.
Old 04/11/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks GS i'll take it into consideration