Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2004, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Golden Slingjaw ...if at first you don't succeed.....

Hi all.

Just had to show off this bad puppy who's now in day 3 of her new home and settled in like the Pro from Dover.

Marrone caught my eye with comments about his Napoleon wrasse a while back, and the excellent links posted to those threads led to some serious investigation/reading on my part, which, of course, led to a trip to the local LFS.

While there, I ran across a small dark phase slingjaw that I couldn't (but should have) resist......the small size and reputed delicate nature of the fish led to an interesting, but short-lived and frustrating experience.

Last week, however, lo and behold!!!!!!!
A yellow phase (2 actually....I'm still contemplating the other) that was approaching 5".

At any rate, it has settled in well with some P. russellii lionfish, a couple of scorpionfish, an angler, a squirrelfish and a needlefish and has already become a major competitor for the FIRST bit of shrimp or fish that hits the water, and where the little 1 1/2" specimen was distinctly shy, this lady runs the mess hall, accepting anything and everything.

The feeding technique is completely fascinating, combining the mode of a seahorse and that of an anglerfish, if that can be imagined........in the photo the yellow line along the bottom of the jaw is actually the part that projects forward to create the "feeding tube" (visualize the whole head extending that far out in front of the fish, forming a slurpgun-like tube).

Since I'm "one of those" I'm open for suggestions for a good name......."Billy Bob" is the best I can do so far (Billy Bob=slingblade=slingjaw)...yeah, I know...Boo! Hiss!
Attached Files
File Type: doc refugium.doc (21.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 06/06/2004, 06:04 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Congradulations Mike! Thats a nice fish. Today i caught a triple fin blenny from the bay and put it in my tank, i wish he will start eating like your new addition. Unfortunately my chromis felt down the sump and died this night he was adding so much color to my tank. so one fish in, one fish out.

anyways, what about the name Jaws?

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 06/06/2004, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Sorry about the chromis...even the best attempts sometimes fail.
Earlier in the week, one of my lids made from plastic egg-crating for lighting sagged just a bit (1/2" for about 3" long) and sure enough, I found my little Maori wrasse dried up behind the tank.

Do you have a camera or photos of your triple-fin blenny?
That's not one I'm familiar with and would love to see it......is it a true blenny?
If so, try small pieces of raw, peeled shrimp and it should turn into a bottomless pit.

Jaws?
nope, but thanks...her mouth is a definite long tube......as a matter of fact, it's EXACTLY the same as an African Leaffish, only about a foot longer at length........now that I think about it, here's another beautiful example of parallel evolution!
Here's a shot showing her tank......an unlikely but perfect grouping!

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip cga320.zip (16.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 06/06/2004, 06:45 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

i do have a cam but this fish is very shy and small also can fit into any small hole. I only saw it once since i put in my tank. Thats not a your type fish Mike

I dont know if they are true blennies or not but i think they feed on pods. Their swimming and shape also resembles mandarins with a blenny tail.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 06/06/2004, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

You predjudiced little brat, you!!!

You'd be surprised what is my "type" fish....don't forget, I have a 6 gal. tank w/ a magnifying glass so I can see them!

Sheeeeesh!
Sounds like it might be either a juvenile or a dragonet.

Mike