Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

last minute gift ideas

I need get a little something for my ex-husband and his wife. They are wine dealers and restaurant snobs so I can't afford to get them anything decent along those lines - only want to spend $20 or so. Over the years, I've gotten them wine accessories and cheese platters and wind chimes and I'm just totally out of ideas.

I need something that my hubby can pick up on Monday Oh, and we'll probably give the same gift to hubby's ex and her husband.

Any and all suggestions (I think) appreciated.

Cheryl
Old 12/22/2007, 04:20 PM
All will be well.

Gift card to the book store? $20 at least gets a CD or something...
Old 12/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Not sure if they'd like what we do for all our extended family? We just go to Hickory Farms and buy a few of their sausage and cheese things, not sure if you have one of them around there? There was one in the mall in San Fran so I know they're not just local here. Easy and fairly cheap, and just about anybody enjoys them. If they don't like sausage type meats they have ones that have different stuff in them, lots of different types of cheeses.

I forget where it was from (I don't think it was a HF one, might have been though) but one year we got this big thing of like ice cream stuff. It didn't have any ice cream in it but it had all kinds of "seasonings" and stuff you could put on ice cream - like carmel, and fudge and all kinds of fruit sauce toppings. We thoroughly enjoyed that too .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/22/2007, 04:54 PM
Team RC Member

Gas cards will always get used.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Chia herb garden =)

or a cheap fondu set so the richy snooty people could enjoy there cheese and whine

Last edited by mrferrit; 12/22/2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:08 PM
Team RC Member

Best wine deal I know of might be available if you have access to a winery: there's a little 10-20 dollar deal with a rubber cork and a hand pump that will keep a partial bottle corked and vacuum sealed for a fair number of days without it going bad. In this house, nobody agrees on what wine they like, so we often have an open bottle of a particular type serving over 3 days---no problem. No flavor loss, no vinegar. We have given them to all sorts of people who entertain and it is very nice to be able, after a party, to recork a nice bottle so you aren't faced with the choice of tossing expensive wine or slugging it down when you've already had too many. THey also sell extra-stopper kits.

I double checked: Target has 2 of these types. The 10.95 one is great. Get them two.
http://www.target.com/Vacuum-Pumps-B...3%3A%240-%2424

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:13 PM
Reefer

Gifts for an ex. Who'da thunk it.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Rat poison

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/22/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

My mom always bought my dad a gift until i was 18 lol

What about pitite fours? (sp) i know hickory farms mall thing has them. little tiny cakes usually assorted flavors

couple presents are hard. what about an event gift? two tickets to the zoo, or the planatarian, aviary.. somthing strange... or movies...

edit.. i keep thinking of more. lol blockbuster or hollywood video you could do the popcorn tub with a giftcard inside or somthing. I already fergot the other one (doh)

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/22/2007, 06:53 PM
Friend to Vallonia

Candies and cookies are always good

A few years ago someone gave me a microfiber throw, which is nice to have around for cold evenings, and they're not expensive.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:00 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Let's see, your hubby is going out on Monday to buy a gift for your ex.....I think I'd buy him a flaming sack of dog poo, but that's just me.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Maybe a Cracker Barrel gift card.... Kill em slowly.. By the way you should be canonized...
Old 12/22/2007, 07:42 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

A Great Dane.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

lmao

my dad bought two dobermans and put them in the house thinking my mom wouldent be able to get in... they gave he bunches of kisses when they met.

silly people. doncha know is easiest to just get along? (esp when kids are involved)

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/23/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Let's see, your hubby is going out on Monday to buy a gift for your ex.....I think I'd buy him a flaming sack of dog poo, but that's just me.
Doc, I've been buying his ex gifts for years from "the girls" - mother's day, birthday, christmas, etc., so he owes me this one!

Well, I was a CVS and bought them a Blockbuster card, and my son says when I get home "dad and Elin don't rent movies."

Well, they will now!

Thanks for the ideas, tho. Especially that wine bottle thingy Sk8r mentioned - I'll look for that for next year!
Old 12/23/2007, 09:47 AM
On "The List"

weird sounding or not, I think it's great the the extended blended ex & step families can & do get along well enough that that they feel a modest gift exchange is appropriate for the holidays

I see so many families torn by divorce that are fouled with a bubbling pit of animosity, that this is refreshing to hear/read

kudos to all of you for being good parents & showing your kids that whatever the problems were that lead to the divorce, they can be put behind & everyone gets along (at least at christmas)

years from now the kids will see this as an important part of their upbringing.

"hey sis/bro, remember when mom & dad & stepmom & stepdad used to........ , that was pretty great of our folks, wasn't it?"

you're making great memories & teaching good lessons about how the value of family outweighs the bitterness of divorce

ok, off of my soapbox

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/23/2007, 09:51 AM
On "The List"

or you could go with the ever popular CHIA BART!

Old 12/23/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I have a friend who called me last night, they had a party with some other friends and she ended up with a chia pet for a gift...she was not amused I however laughed my rear end off

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/23/2007, 09:58 AM
On "The List"

was it the chia bart?

I'll take it off her hands!

Old 12/23/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart

you're making great memories & teaching good lessons about how the value of family outweighs the bitterness of divorce
Bart, you would have loved my son's HS graduation party. My family, my ex's family, his current wife's family, my current hubby's family, and we even invited HIS ex since she's watched my son grow up. Dan Quayle would have shuddered with our "extended" family.

Trust me, there have been days when hiring a hit-man to take care of our ex's has crossed our minds, but at the end of the day, we all get along pretty well for the kids' sake.

Now, my ex-MIL is another story...
Old 12/23/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

What about some kind if wine art or wine poster to decorate around the house? Something maybe from art.com. Maybe going out side the box . . . Like coffee ? they big coffee drinkers, nothing hits the spot like good cup of gourmet coffee on a cold winter morning.