Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

What skimmer

I know this has been asked before, but I can't get the search to work. So what type or brand of skimmer would you recommend for a 75gal. mixed reef ? Or what ones would you not recommend? Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 12/07/2007, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

How much $$ are you wanting to spend?
Old 12/07/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Maybe around $200 - $300....
Old 12/07/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1266158
Old 12/07/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I run a tunze 9010 and my tank loves it.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Stay away from Remoras, seaclones and anything by CSS.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Then I would consider a Euroreef RS80.
PA has free shipping now.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...gory_Code=EURO

Last edited by wrott; 12/07/2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I have a Kent Marine Nautilus EX24 that I love. I used an ETSS downdraft skimmer for years, and it doesn't even compare to this Kent that I've got.

my $0.02
Old 12/07/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a 60 gal pred tank w. a volitan, dogface puffer, clown and 2 damsels. I have a Prizm delux but am not overly pleased-bubbles and noisy. I have had it for a while and it does do the job but am considering an upgrade. I do need a hang on....That Pet Place is having a sale and I can get a Berlin hang on -23"-w. pump for $ 160.00. Any opinions?? When I was in sales in this industry, I used to be of the opinion that Berlin's were overpriced for their performance. If not the Berlin, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Please don't tell me I have 2 many fish....they are small and I know will soon outgrow the tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I have an ASM mini G. I really like it. Best skimmer I have ever owned.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:29 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
Stay away from Remoras, seaclones and anything by CSS.
I love my CSS.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:52 AM
Registered Member

It basically comes down to the old Ford vs Chevy debate. If you are willing to spend that kind of money for a skimmer on a 75 you should be able to get a nice one. Read the reviews and get a good name brand with a nice pump. I have a Euroreef that I got used for $170,it has been a simple pleasure,I never mess with it at all and it pulls out a cup of coffee a week. When shopping you need to consider the footprint of the skimmer with regard to where you plan to put it. Its ok to get a used one as long as you add in the cost of a new pump,most skimmers have very few working parts so the only thing that ever breaks down on them is the pump,so the worst case with a used one is that it needs a new pump. Generally with pumps it is only the impeller that goes bad. Dont be afraid to get a skimmer that is overrated for your tank,if you ever want to get a larger tank you wont need a new skimmer. I was skimmer hunting right around your price range and it was down to a ER and AquaC-EV,NOT Remora or if I couldnt get a decent price on either I was going for an ASM which are basically a knockoff of ER. Good luck hunting,check the buy sell boards here and at other places Im sure you will come up on a deal.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwschoon
I have a 60 gal pred tank w. a volitan, dogface puffer, clown and 2 damsels. I have a Prizm delux but am not overly pleased-bubbles and noisy. I have had it for a while and it does do the job but am considering an upgrade. I do need a hang on....That Pet Place is having a sale and I can get a Berlin hang on -23"-w. pump for $ 160.00. Any opinions?? When I was in sales in this industry, I used to be of the opinion that Berlin's were overpriced for their performance. If not the Berlin, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig.
Get a bermuda rogue, no brainer
Since people mentioned some hobs, I say get the bermuda rogue
Heres a post luke33 used the rogue on his 125 and it pulled nasty crap out. For the price of 300~ it works really well.
Heres a review on it too
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1258666
And discussion thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1258666
Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Here's what my skimmer has done in the last 24hrs. Its pulling to much out and its to light for my liking, so i'll be adjusting it soon. Nearly 6cups of this stuff.

Although i have to say my tank is looking very very nice. Especially with two skimmers going.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help!!! I will do some reading...

Stephen
Old 12/08/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shootist
It basically comes down to the old Ford vs Chevy debate. If you are willing to spend that kind of money for a skimmer on a 75 you should be able to get a nice one. Read the reviews and get a good name brand with a nice pump. I have a Euroreef that I got used for $170,it has been a simple pleasure,I never mess with it at all and it pulls out a cup of coffee a week. When shopping you need to consider the footprint of the skimmer with regard to where you plan to put it. Its ok to get a used one as long as you add in the cost of a new pump,most skimmers have very few working parts so the only thing that ever breaks down on them is the pump,so the worst case with a used one is that it needs a new pump. Generally with pumps it is only the impeller that goes bad. Dont be afraid to get a skimmer that is overrated for your tank,if you ever want to get a larger tank you wont need a new skimmer. I was skimmer hunting right around your price range and it was down to a ER and AquaC-EV,NOT Remora or if I couldnt get a decent price on either I was going for an ASM which are basically a knockoff of ER. Good luck hunting,check the buy sell boards here and at other places Im sure you will come up on a deal.

Good advice! Thanks!
Stephen
Old 12/08/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Isnt it more like a GM vs BMW debate? I mean Euroreef skimmers, Bubble Kings, Tunze, all your really paying for is international shipping and import, plus the deficiency of the dollar vs the euro. As long as your looking at models of similiar caliber your going to pay up to two or three times as much for the import model.

Ya feel me?!
Old 12/08/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

All good reviews on the Burmuda but $300.00 may be a bit much for me...Only a few mean fish, no coral...is the Berlin hang on that bad ? At $ 160.00 the price is good IF it does a 1/2 decent job.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Get something used. I spent 300 and got a Precision Marine Bullet XL1, 24G refugium, 2 SEIO 1100's, a PC refugium light and an Iwaki 40RLT. All I had to do was clean the stuff up with some white vinegar and I'm in business. I went from a Prizm to a Prizm Pro when I started out and from what I've seen from the other HOB skimmers, I'm wouldn't spend the big money for one. That Prizm Pro was very effective. The prizm was good for maybe a Nano. They do require constant adjustment though, and that's probably why they get such a bad rap.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

My prizm pro is ok, for what it is and the load on my tank is not that severe BUT...it is noisy, needs to be adjusted too much. Don't want to buy used...Burmuda gets great reviews but will cost $ 300.00.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Definitely look used. I just parted together a Remora Pro w/ the pre skimmer box for $120, so you can find good deals out there.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

anyone actually USED the hang on berlin?
Old 12/08/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

EuroReef.