Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/11/2004, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Spawning Preparations of Pterois russellii

Since I've made a full description in Frank's spawning forum, I'll make this much shorter......while watching our two P. russellii last night, we observed the smaller fish placing its head directly on the bottom in front of the larger, spreading his pectoral fins and literally vibrating them.
For the past month, we've noted that the larger fish that we suspected as being female (now confirmed by the shape of the descended egg tube), has been "blushing", that is, becoming pink with darker stripes, unlike the normal white body base color.

If their behavior parallels that of the Fuzzy Dwarf, we expect them to actually spawn tonight, sometime between sunset and midnight, and have put red lights on the tank so that, hopefully, we'll be able to photograph both the actual spawning and the egg mass afterwards.

the only discouraging part is that out of 25 spawns with the Fuzzy Dwarfs, we've still not been able to keep the fry alive past day 9, but a separate tank has been set up for the eggs, just in case....with our spring (sorry Yanks......hang it there! **grin**) approaching, we hope to have large plankton blooms shortly and are going to continue the wild plankton feeding for older fry in hopes of finally raising at least a few.

This is the female that barely survived the UV sterilizer short last summer, while we lost all three adult P. volitans that were in the same tank....we have a very black adult female P. volitans at this time and are currently looking for a suitable male in hopes of breeding them as well......keep your fingers crossed!

Mike
Old 02/11/2004, 02:05 PM
Insane Reefer

Hey Mike,
Please keep us posted.
That's a nice looking fish. How is the banded cat in the background?

I still haven't been given a move location from work, however I recently interviewed for a position in Miami. I'm not holding my breath, but we may soon be neighbors (by state anyway).

Wish me luck, I'm crossing my fingers,
Ed
Old 02/11/2004, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

We'd love to have you for a neighbor Ed, and if it should pan out you're welcome to the guest room and garage (for storage **grin**) should it be helpful in the move.

The little shark's doing fine...other inhabitants in the tank are a Papuan Scorpionfish (Scorpaenopsis papuensis), a False Stonefish (Scorpaenopsis diabola), a keeled Needlefish, two species of smaller anglerfish, a squirrelfish and a Spanish Spiny lobster.

Mike
Old 02/11/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Hope all goes well this time around... And if you don't get the pictures then you will never be forgiven!
Old 02/12/2004, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

At the end of night one (or is it two?) the score sits at fish:1, Mike:0 . We sat up, camera in hand, until 2:00 am with no activity other than noticing that P. russellii are very attractive under red lighting and active as well....do they ever sleep?

Concerns at this point are 1) the 125 gal. may have insufficient height to allow them to rise in the water column to expel and fertilize the eggs, 2) they may be similar in habits to Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish, only on a different time table, 3) she had a headache, or 4) (this is the scary one) they've gotten together and decided to wait until I fall over from lack of sleep then do it and laugh their fins off.

Mike
Old 02/12/2004, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau
3) she had a headache

Hopefully, she'll come around...
Old 02/12/2004, 11:32 AM
Insane Reefer

Don't give up Mike.

Sleep is over-rated, and we get enough after we die.

I love the headache part. Try crushing two aspirin into powder and sprinkle it in the water.
If the male looks at you and winks or comes to the surface for a high five (fin to hand), you know you guessed right.

If that doesn't work you can place your stereo speakers in the water and play some Barry White.

Good Luck My Friend,
Ed
Old 02/12/2004, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Hey Ed.....I considered what you said, thought the headache was the most likely solution, and crushed two "fishyprin" for her.

You were right...he came to the top for a "Hi'Fin"!

Gotta hate a fish with a sense of humor......ever think about "Hi-Finning" a lionfish?

Mike