Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Henry C Schultz III
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/16/2004, 02:19 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
An Abstract ID Question

While I'm fairly certain there is no readily available answer, each time I've watched one of several television specials on marine thermal vents there is usually to often a clip showing a white fish that looks for all the world like a white convict goby swimming amongst the shrimp and tube worms.
I was just curious, if you've had a chance to view one of these programs, if the fish resembles the Pholidichthys leucotaenia as much to you as it does to me?

Mike Dandaneau
Old 01/16/2004, 03:24 AM
Moved On

hehe, no, i can't say i have seen the program you are referring to, mike. with 2 jobs, a full-time student, RC and RK, and still finding the time to have a social life, TV doesn't find its way into my schedule. perhaps someday i will be retired and get to watch the discovery channel

might i recommend for you to listen for the name of one of the researchers or the laboratory doing the exploration next time. a quick e-mail to them would certainly get the ball rolling in the right direction. or perhaps try www.discovery.com (or whatever cable station you watched the show on) and look for more info from there. a lot of times you can ask questions about certain programs at their website.

HTH

henry
Old 01/16/2004, 03:40 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the quick reply....don't rush on the retirement, as it's not all it's cracked up to be.

As to Dicovery.com and such, no luck there......trying to find a way to actually comment or ask a serious question is similar to many other commercial sites or the phone menu you now get when trying to contact a real person (if it weren't for the traffic, I'd almost think telephone aswerers were an endangered species)

Mike
Old 01/16/2004, 04:25 AM
Moved On

how is clearwater nowadays? my sister lived there for about 10 years or so. i loved to visit clearwater, ur, i mean my sister. i've seen most of florida and clearwater remains one of my favorite areas.
Old 01/16/2004, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Surprisingly, still pretty nice.....probably because almost all developable property IS!

Over the last few years, more and more tropical species are showing up, and at low tide it sometimes becomes a veritable bonanza.

The bad part is that there are so many species that no-one ever seemed to bother about that even the Florida Aquarium in Tampa hasn't been able to assist with ID's, which can be very frustrating.

There's always a guest room open if you're ever down this way and don't mind a house full of aquariums!

Mike