Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2003, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Non-Aggressive Predators

Here's a photo that may help dissuade some from automatically thinking of triggerfish as tankmates for larger lionfish in the future, and one of the best examples of an illustration of the difference between predatory and aggressive that I've seen yet.
For size comparison, the P. russellii in the photograph is almost 12" long.
Two flowers of the sea, neither of which does well with rough fish as tankmates in the long run.
We were extremely fortunate in being able to aquire this magnificent basket star for $19.99.
Old 12/16/2003, 10:14 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Does the basket star move a lot?
Old 12/16/2003, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Surpisingly, the answer is yes, at least for that type of an animal.
It will often crawl into the cave at daybreak and remain there folded and asleep, although the occassional arms will swing out if it senses food in the water, but in late evening it crawls up the cave front to the top where it really opens to its full extent.
So far, it's surprisingly easy to feed....prepared phytoplankton and live/frozen brine, plus we grind up commercial marine flakes into a fine powder and add them to some water from the tank, making a soup which is then slowly poured down over the animal.
Primary food collection seems to occur on the arm ends, and when a sufficient quantity has been captured the arm rolls up for transfer to the mouth.
At present it's in the 125 with the lionfish,scorpionfish and squirrelfish, but if it shows signs of continued growth may have to be moved to the 300 at a later date.
I've attached a photo showing the arm tips transferring food to the mouth.
Old 12/16/2003, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Very neat critter. Being you live in Florida there must be lots of good deals just waiting for a guy like you.............not to mention the critters you collect. Must be nice..........snowing here right now and was -20C the last few nights.

Dave
Old 12/16/2003, 03:25 PM
Super Bowl Champ

Awesome....I like unusual stuff.
Old 12/16/2003, 03:36 PM
10 & Over Club

Mike:
Great looking basketstar....
surprisingly easy to feed? I will add that you may be seeing food capture but whether or not the animal is feeding maybe debated. Again (IMHO) these stars are the ultimate in difficult, while i don't have access to ocean water and wild planktons like you, my luck w/ these stars has not been so good. It has been established that basket stars are particulate feeders, and worse they actually taste foods to recognize whether its worthy of consumption. so if your getting the basket to actually eat thats fantastic and a complete rareity. I have read over at another board, a member who had a smaller version of a basketstar be quite successful in his reeftank.
I know if anyone here is capable of keeping said starfish it would be you Mike, but I will only point out that these stars should be left in the ocean, as they have a horrific failure rate in the home aquarium.

W/ that said basket stars are nocturnal feeders and place their appendanges in the current to capture correct sized particules of food, depending on the species; food may consist of plankton or debris of fish or inverts. During the day they roll themselves into tight balls and remain stationary until the next feeding time, totally cool critters.
Old 12/16/2003, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Frank....actually, we've attemped to keep these in the past, with "attempted" being the operative phrase, and our results pretty well matched all that you recounted.
The real reason we purchased it, of course, was because it is an unusually large and magnificent specimen (plus already there and very inexpensive, again for the reasons that you noted) and I had a hunch that, so far, appears to have some merit....... sometimes bigger IS better!
As an experiment, while feeding the fish whole bait shrimp today, upon removing the carapace, the internal organs are in a messy, gooey little mass right at the base of the tail.
I removed this and offered it to the basketstar, who accepted it with as close to gusto as be achieved from a filter feeder.
As suspected, due to the huge size, the organ mass slides easlly into its mouth (times 12 for today) and is consumed without hesitation.
As you said, time will tell, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
By the way, I fully concur that these SHOULD be left in the ocean and have fallen victim to the "wounded bird" syndrome more times than I can remember, with failures far outnumbering successes.
Old 12/16/2003, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Mike, quick question off topic. What is that fish in the last photo? Is it a type of Squirrel fish? And if so is it very active during the day?

Dave
Old 12/16/2003, 10:32 PM
10 & Over Club

well i won't speak for mike, but that squirrel fish apears to be one of the more common ones.
IME these fish once acclimated to your tank become very bold and especially so during feeding time
looks lik a nice fish.
Mike-glad to hear the basketstar is eating and as we say in Texas "bigger is better"
Old 12/17/2003, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

As a matter of fact, I DID learn that in Texas Frank (**grin**)....also that it's the best state in the union to order breakfast (those folks know how to eat! )
Yep, the squirrelfish is one of the more common types, F. samarra (?) and over the years has become the most active fish in the tank, not having bothered to seek shelter in a cave for the past two years that I've seen.
When small, it was quite shy and secretive, but as it grew it became first in the chow line, without fail, and eagerly wolfs down the same fare as the scorpionfish and lionfish that have always been its roommates.
Although I was warned about the jaw/cheek spines long ago by local anglers, it's just recently become common knowledge that many of these have a little surprise for the unwary as well, thus is in an appropriate tank.
Old 12/20/2003, 12:42 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Basket Starfish

Hey Mike,

It's Kevin "the plumber" up here in Port Richey. I just acclimated a beautiful basket I purchaed at Mini Reef on US 19 in Port Richey. I should have known that the string about some this unusual would be yours.LOL

I haven't spoke to you in a couple of months... hope all is well.

My basket is much whiter than the ones pictured... and not that big... it was $25. But, it may be the most curious thing I've seen in a long time.

Merry Christmas,

hagplumb
Old 12/21/2003, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Ditto on the Merry Christmas.
Best of luck with the basket star...they are very tricky to maintain for any length of time (our record so far has been about 6 months) but we're hoping to do FAR better this time.
Old 12/21/2003, 06:59 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Feeding Basket Star

Hey folks,

My new basket star seems to be eating well. It feeds at sundown... I have light timed for three stages.

It readily accepts San Francisco Bay Spirulina enriched brine shrimp and SFB Plankton.

It has, however, moved behing my pulsating Xenia... which I hope does not bother the Xenia too much. THe Xenia closes at sundown... so I doubt there is too much to worry about.

So far I am trilled with the basket... very freaky looking critter.

Happy Holdays,

haggplumb