Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Equipment List For a 75 Gallon Reef

Ok everyone. I am looking for opinions/critiques on the equipment list for my 75 gallon reef. Nothing is purchased, and nothing will be purchased for quite a while, (saving up) so everything is open to change. I am trying to do this on a budget, but understand that there are some areas that you cannot skimp on. If there is anything which you think is cheaply made, or anywhere where you think a more inexpensive item would do the job just as well, tell me.
It's going to be a mixed reef, with SPS in the future. Fish choices aren't really going to affect equipment selection, but I'll list what I've decided as of now.

First fish added will a pair of ocellaris clowns. About a year or so down the road, a mandarin. I have no clue what else, and even though this is not the right forum, any suggestions would be welcome.

So, equipment.

Tank: 75Gallon Reef Ready. Haven't decided glass or acrylic for sure. Probably glass though.

Sump: 30 gallon glass aquarium I have lying around.
It's going to be plumbed:
Skimmer>Return

Return pump: Eheim pump. What model?

Skimmer: Octopus NW Medium skimmer. I forget how that corresponds to the numbers.

Lighting: Aquatinics 5 bulb 48 inch fixture. (Unless anyone knows where I can find Icecap retros that can be shipped to Canada?)

Water Circulation: Two Korilla #? Suggestions? Or maybe one more?

Stand: Homemade: Plans TBD

Controller: Aqua controller Junior
I know I don't NEED a controller, but I feel that have pumps on alternating patterns is better for the tanks inhabitants. And the controller can PH and Temperature as well, so its not much more expensive than a wave maker, a digital thermometer and a PH monitor. Plus its more reliable than the heaters thermostat.
I chose the ACJ over the RKII because of the lunar cycle stimulation. I think its neat.

Two little fishies phosban reactorx2 (carbon and phosban.)

Um, cant remember the name of the Refractometer I'm getting but it has good reviews.

75GPD RO/DI unit from thefilterguys.

Um, did I forget anything?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Looks pretty good.

I'd go with the Eheim 1262. And the Aquactinics is probably just as good if not better than the IceCap retro.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:57 PM
Master of Funk

sounds like a decent plan so far.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Looks good.

With a 30 gallon sump you could divide it up nicely and make a refugium portion for Chaeto/DSB/LR rubble. Great frow growing pods and helps with nutrient export.

Eheim is good. I like Mag's and have a Mag 9.5 on my 75g.

Korallia 3's would do nicely.

Best wishes,

Prayer is Protein Skimming for the Soul
Old 10/24/2007, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

I've got an Eheim 1260 for my return in my sump. My tank is a 75g with a 29g sump. You should figure out how much head the pump will have on it and then decide the exact model you want.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I have the #4 korelias. your sump you may think of a pc for it. I have a 30 gal. tank with a 2 96 watt from aqutraders 99$. And becuse its for a sump the 24" light will work nice too, and even less $.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Eheim is a good choice, either a 1260 or 1262. Use the headloss calculator on the main page to determine what size return pump you need for you individual circumstances. You can always go a little larger and use a ball valve on the return line to throttle it back a little.
I suggest two #3 Hydor Koralia's pointing across the tank at each other for display circulation. I'm not sure if Koralia's are the best choice if your planning to use the controller as a wavemaker. I get the impression they won't hold up well to starting and stopping all the time. Maybe consider a SeaSwirl on the return line or a different set of PH's to be used as wavemakers.

I'm not sure that you need the Phosban reactor right out of the gate. Maybe an add on later.

You may want to consider a dosing pump set up for Kalk or a 2 Part solution.

I like the RODI choice. Maybe an Auto top off system is in order

It looks like you have a well thought out system and i'm sure you will have great success. It's funny because i'm currently accumulating equipment for a 90gal build and it's pretty darn close to your equipment selection

I went with the Eheim 1262, a Euro-Reef 180, 2x #3 Koralia's, 2x SeaSwirl, Aquatronica Controller&dosing system, 1/4hp dropin Chiller. I will be going with an IceCap T5 Retro kit and a filterguys RODi system. You might want to try www.reefgeek.com for T5 retro kits. They claim on their website that they ship to Canada.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

those powerheads arn't made to be used on a wave maker just so you know. but everything else looks great. also i agree add in a fuge to your sump.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Definately add a fuge.
Old 10/25/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I have the Aquatinics Solar Flare fixture on my 75G, and it is great. The light is really intense!!

I would get the legs for your fixture, or hang it from the ceiling. I have my light sitting directly on the tank, and I do have some slight issues with heat.
Old 10/25/2007, 01:09 AM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

Very well thought out. I agree on the fuge,a 30g tank is plenty large enough to handle one. Keep a good eye on the used equipment forum here and in your local aquarium groups website. That is the best way to save money. Another good way is to find a good dry rock supplier such as marco or eco rocks, then seed it with some live rock. Same goes for your sand, buy dry, seed with live. Also dont rule out a 90g, it has the same footprint. Keep us posted!
Old 10/25/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

If you are seriously looking into the mandarin also, read.

3rd, 4th, 5th the fuge. Even think about getting a HOB or In-tank fuge if you can afford the space. That's the way I run my system. Tank > sump > refuge in sump > return section > in tank refuge > tank. I have LR rubble of some home made rock in each refuge. Made some really nice porous rock. And cheap to. More porous than you can get real LR. Check the DIY section for ultimate DIY rocks and check that out. I used 3 parts rock salt to 1 part cement and once in the water, I can take out a piece that measures about 6" square and it will drain water for about a minute.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

i would say 2 koralia 3's would be perfect for your tank
Old 10/25/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

i would spend a little more and get a euro reef skimmer i heard some nasty things about the octopuses
Old 10/25/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Ok. Sorry, the line that says sump will be Skimmer-return, was a typo. It was meant to be skimmer-return-refugium. It will have a chaeto and maybe some LR rubble.
The korilla's aren't meant to be used on a wavemaker? Oh, didn't know that. Where can these Sea Swirls be purchased?

With the octopuses, it's really confusing. It seems that there were two versions of the Octopus circulating. It seems that the bad version was only from one of the US suppliers?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

As for used equipment and local aquarium clubs. Non-existent. There isn't a club here, and on the Canadian reef forum, all the classified adds are in Eastern Canada, and most are not willing to ship.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Try aquacave for SeaSwirl and Reef Geek for the T5 Retro kits. Both sites ship to Canada. I've heard only good things about the Octopus skimmers, I would be willing to give them a try.

www.aquacave.com
www.reefgeek.com
Old 10/25/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

i have a reef octopus on my 90, so far no issues, and i have seen several that have been in use for over a year and they seem fine, definately would recomend one. have you thought of tunze for your circulation pumps, or even the vortec, alot more costly but amazing to see in use.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

koralia's have gotten pretty good reviews from what i've seen... im getting 4-koralia 4's for my 210 gallon tank
Old 10/25/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Can't find the SeaSwirl. Is it listed under a different name?
Old 10/25/2007, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

It's listed under WaveMakers as Sea Swirls by Aquarium Currents
Old 10/25/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Oh. That explains it.