Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Petco 1$/ gal sale

Hi, does anyone know when this sale is usually held? Or does anyone have some insider information about specific dates?
Old 11/25/2007, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Tell you the truth I dont buy or will I buy anything for my saltwater tank from PETCO. Until they know how to take care of there tanks. BUt to answer question. I havent heard anything about that.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:07 AM
68 dead fish and counting

Quote:
Originally posted by usmc121581
Tell you the truth I dont buy or will I buy anything for my saltwater tank from PETCO. Until they know how to take care of there tanks.
Stepping up onto soapbox:

I'm pretty tired of so many people painting with such a broad brush. I buy most of my fish from Petco in South Bend, Indiana because it's one of the BETTER stores around. And no, it's not that every other store is VERY bad.

When I first moved to the area I did my usual tour of all the fish stores, looking at the condition of their tanks and fish, and asking the employees my "test" questions to see how knowledgable they are. The Petco people had reef tanks at home and knew their stuff. I've even sold them (the employees as tank owners, not Petco) some of my coral frags.

I've seen many bad fish stores, some of them Petco's, but many of them not. I can tell you that the most atrocious conditions I've seen are never in Petco's, but always the smallish corner fishstore. And this Petco at least, and likely more, doesn't deserve your bad rap.

Nothing personal here. I see the "I don't like Petco" thought quite a bit, and this thread just happened to be the one I responded to.

Getting down off soapbox.

Last edited by Hal; 11/25/2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Last I remember it was during the final days of summer into fall that they run that sale. It also only applies to tanks they have on stock and up to 55G ( I think) Though you could probably argue the 75 they wont have any 125's in stock. If your looking for a 55, there is always someone trying to get rid of one for under $50.

Hal, people are going to have a strong hate for petco and it is mostly well deserved. One store supplying healthy fish does not make up for the other 95% of the stores. IMO Petco deserves the bad rap they have. Your Petco is only good because of the people involved not because it's Petco. I would praise them instead of defending the store name.

Your lucky, the rest of us have ICH, Black ICH, Brook, and Flukes to choose from. The yellow tang I made them give me had all 4 and was the only one of 20 yellow tangs in a 20L tank to survive...

Then there was the really informative sales guy. This NO T8 bulb is great for anemonies....... One is all you will need.

My second favorite. "Yo dude that fish is sick.... it's going to die." Oh (puts sticker on the glass in front of where the fish is currently swimming/flopping) "We will mark him not for sale" and walks off.

And now my new favorite

Sorry I had too.....
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 11/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Nano Reefer

To actually answer your question:

It was a couple months ago. They usually do it at the end of the summer...
Old 11/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

racer, nice tshirt, glad i stirred u guys up. im looking for a AGA 30
Old 11/25/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

hal, buy the way, are the duck eating the fish?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

when i used to work at petco they ran a sale that if you purchase the stand they will give you the tank for free. one of the managers had them order a 120 tall and stand i think with his discount it came to like 200 bucks. i got a 90 gal tank and stand for about 125 bucks. they really got screwed on that sale and i am sure that they wont run it again.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rivdog
racer, nice tshirt, glad i stirred u guys up. im looking for a AGA 30
=P Thanks, Sucks you missed out on the sale, saving money is always key.

Post in the used equipment board, im sure someone around there has one in their fish closet... I know I do.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics