Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates

Old 01/05/2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

question on shrimp is this normal?

hey i have a question pretty new to aquariums ive had my 20 g setup for about two months and recently i added a yellow coral banded shrimp and i already had a cleaner shrimp in there...i woke up this morning and theere exoskeltons where lefthanging on rocks both of them . i thought they died till i saw them in the rocks they dont fight at all i s this normal?
Old 01/05/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Yes this is normal, they shed their skins to grow, it just so happened that they did it at the same time and was coincidence that you had just added the other. Any invert with an exoskeleton will do this.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Also, most shed around the cycles of the moon, usually right before or right after the full moon, so it is also normal that they shed together, I have 15 assorted shrimp and twice that many hermit crabs. they all shed within about 3 days of each other.