Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions

Old 01/02/2008, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Post Count Won't Change

I would like to be able to post an add in the FS section. I've been a member since 2005 and recently upgraded to a paid membership. I don't post a lot generally but since I've noticed that I need 50 posts to use that forum I have been trying to participate more. Problem is that my post count does not change to reflect anything beyond 9 posts. It should show 20 posts at least.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:02 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
not all posts count.. lounge posts dont count for example

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 01/02/2008, 05:26 PM
Moderator Clone

Posts in the Polls forum and the selling and trading forums don't count either. You have 19 total posts. 9 are in forums that don't count.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

I noticed that after I made the previous post and my count went up. Seems like incentivizing people to post just to build up post counts but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere? It does seem kind of counter intuitive though. Do you also have to be a "supporting member" or is it just the number of posts?
Old 01/02/2008, 06:21 PM
Moderator Clone

Just number of posts. Selling is really just an extra perk for the folks who participate in RC's mission - the exchange of information regarding the saltwater hobby. Selling isn't the main reason this site exists (although some folks treat it like it is). You'd be surprised how many folks get removed from this site because they can't seem to follow our commercial rules (ie, they want to run their business on RC). That 50 post rule keeps most of them from just registering another name and continuing the business.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 01/02/2008, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Allright. I will work on my participation and try to contribute more. Generally, I'm afraid my questions will seem ridiculous to people with lmore experience and so I tend to use the site for searching out the answer more than posting.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:35 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

What's more ridiculous to you? Asking what might be a silly question and getting the information you need, or not asking the question and having a tank crash? The only ridiculous question is the unasked one.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 01/02/2008, 08:50 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

And to add what "MalHavoc" said, you have to remember that a large amount of us were in your position once.

As the old saying goes, the only stupid question is the one never asked.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:28 PM
Reef Chemist

Just remember, it is much better to ask a ridiculous question than to give a ridiculous answer to someone else's question.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:32 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513713#post11513713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Just remember, it is much better to ask a ridiculous question than to give a ridiculous answer to someone else's question.
I read that in a fortune cookie

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/05/2008, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513713#post11513713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I wish more people on here could read that!
Old 01/09/2008, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Well, you have to admit that some questions are rediculous enough to have a little fun with.

I mean, how serious can one be when someone asks why it's not good enough to just test water temp and salinity using a finger to taste the salt or see how cold or warm the water feels on the finger and save all that money on silly and expensive testing kits.

I don't think the suggestion to buy a pet rock with the offer of written instructions on the care and feeding of the little pebbles when they come along was really appreciated.