Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 12/20/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

need help with some plants

I've lived in FL for 11yrs now, and I have lots of experience with fish and inverts but now I want to set up a plant tank. I've been reading the threds, but no one seems to keep the plants I'm trying, would like to know if it is because they aren't available or at this time not able to be maintained, or some other reason, anyone out there please chime in.

The tank I'm planning on using is a 54 gal pie shaped with reef style set up and metal halide with VHO atinic. Water will be ocean, so parameters will be whatever sea water is. The tank has a 5 inch base of fine sand with live sand mix about 50/50 and some rubble and ground up shell, store bought, but very similar in appearence to where I find the algea. I have a FOWLR that has some motile inverts and never been treated with any form of medication or copper. It is about 5 years in the same location so I plan on using the sand from it so I have some sediment, many of the other threds talk about having well aged sand bed. What do some of you think, or recomend? Fish would be few and only a scource of nutrients for the plants.

Now for the plants

I have seen in the keyes several macro algea and the one I am interested in is the pine cone algea, Rhipocepholus phoenix. I have collected it in the past, but only half heartedly tried to raise them, ie flourescent lights and not much care put into it. Any suggestions for keeping this sp? This will be the center piece/main specie in the tank.

The other plant I want is pink calcerous algea, I have seen it listed under many different scientific names (P. Humann uses the genus Galaxaura, but one that looks the same is ID'd as Neogoniolithon in MARINE PLANTS OF CARIBBEAN). When I first encountered this plant I thought it was a coral by look and feel.

Also interested in the mermaids wine glass Acetabularia. They are common on the roots of the mangroves by my house.

Sorry for the lengthy questions, but any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

philter,

I have a Rhipocephalus that came in on a piece of FL live rock. I was surprised, because I thought they were substrate dwellers....but the rock isn't very thick, so maybe it's growing through a hole. It died back initially, but now is growing again, getting its second/third ring of leaves, about 1-1/2" tall. Unfortunately I can't get a decent pic of it, coz the rock is surrounded by shoal grass.

As for the Neogoniolithon, is that the same thing as http://www.reeftopia.com/Sea_Anemones211.html, scroll down to "Coralline Algae Starters?" I would think they would be easy to keep, but (I'm guessing) probably more sensitive to Ca levels.

Acetabularia I read somewhere is easy to keep, but have never found any to try

How much light on your tank? WPG is only a rough measure, but I have 6 wpg, and have shoal grass, manatee grass, turtle grass (keeps fingers crossed that it will continue to grow ), as well as many macros.

If you go ahead, please keep us apprised of your progress....and pics would be great!

-Robert
Old 12/22/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

All the Rhipocephalus I have ever seen were attached to small pieces of rock. I couldn't get to the link from your post, but the Neogoniolithon looks like a bright pink birds nest coral. Is that the one the link is directing me to?

As for lights I have a 250w 14K bulb with 24 inch atinics on it.

I will post photos when I get it planted. What about the sediment in the substrate, or should I just use "new" live sand?
Old 12/22/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Oops, the link doesn't work with a comma on the end! But yes, looks like a small pink birdsnest. They are pretty cool...when I order from Reeftopia in a month or so, I'm going to get a couple.

Sounds like you are all set, lighting-wise.

I used a mix of sugar-sized sand and Caribsea refugium mineral mud for the first 2" or so, then on top is all sugar-sized sand. I seeded it with some live sand. The mud was just for the seagrasses, so you should be fine with live sand.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion about Rhipo living on rocks vs. sand.

Good luck & have fun!

-R
Old 12/31/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Any one else with some advice? The tank is up and running and I plan to go to the keyes the weekend of the 19th to collect so if you think there is something I should or should not do, let me know.

I'll take photos of the trip and the plants I bring back, my camara has underwater housing, but I'm not that good at photo's. Plants don't usually try to hide on me though! LOL