Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 10/16/2002, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Your opinions on what lighting I should get.

So here is the deal. I have a 55G right now with only 4x65W PC's. I want to put two of the 65W PC's over my new fuge, and get two MH"S for my tank. I want to do some SPS, LPS and softies. Basically, I want to be able to keep pretty much whatever I want. I am starting out but I know the PC's are not enough. So I was talking to someone at one of the better LFS's here and he suggested that I go with 250's as opposed to 175's. I know that the whole watts per gallon thing is a bunch of bull, so what do you guys suggest. I have a friend who just purchased a sunlight supply ballast from oceanencounter.com and I really like the design, it just looks and feels sturdy. I am thinking 10K bulbs for MH and leaving the remaining two PC's which are actinic over the tank. Any suggestions on bulbs and ballasts or whatever else you think would be appreciated
Old 10/16/2002, 10:33 PM
RC Staff

You could get a 48" AB Aquaspace Light with 2-150 watt 10K DE HQI bulbs. It would light your tank quite nicely and save some electricity...

JMO,

Ryan

These pretzels are making me thirsty...
Old 10/16/2002, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

If you're using 10K or 6.7K bulbs (2) 175's would be fine. You'll probably want a couple actinics in there too because the 10K's make everything really white (doesn't bring out all the colors), and the 6.7K's are really yellow (get the 10k's). You be the judge though - but 2x175W over a 55 is fine unless you want to go with 13K or 20K bulbs then go with 250's as they have less PAR and are visibly much less intense.
Old 10/16/2002, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

I have 2x175W AB w/IceCap and 2x110W VHO w/IceCap on my 90g and I have everything growing like crazy. Soft, SPS, and LPS.