Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What type of Tank did you have before you started your Saltwater Tank?
Cichlid 34 36.96%
Planted 12 13.04%
Goldfish 10 10.87%
Other, please post what kind. 18 19.57%
None of the above, this is my first! 18 19.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/16/2004, 11:44 PM
Have grits... will travel

Everything from the obligatory 1g goldfish bowl (over 35yrs ago) to planted/breeding discus and angelfish to outdoor ponds.

Like waterkeeper, my first SW was a 5g dwarf seahorse tank back in the early 70's... lasted about 6 months.

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!
Old 06/16/2004, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Still have a 20 long with 2 neolamprologus multifaciatus (shell dwelling tanganyikan cichlids).

I almost feel bad now that I pay so much more attention to my new 10 gallon SW nano. They get fed and weekly water changes still but I barley sit and look at that tank anymore like I used to.

Tim
Old 06/17/2004, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I had 2 ciclid tanks, one african and one south american. I loved my south american untill one day one of my big oscars spawned and decided to kill everything in the tank... bad news but i've moved to saltwater now. I also keep a small tetra tank for my sister that I got her for her birthday a while back (she says its her tank but I still do everything for it).
Old 06/17/2004, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

Ive had guppies and cichlid tanks. Cichlids always ate live plants...so stuck with the fake stuff.
Old 06/17/2004, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

I had nothing before. I've always had only saltwater.
Old 06/17/2004, 06:42 AM
Moved On

I had a tank full of guppies that I was trying to breed as food for some fish I was going to put in my 55g. Never got around to setting up my 55g for FW and it became SW. I worked at Petsmart and I fell in love with the Needle nose fish. I wanted to make a brakish water tank with bog wood and plants. Here is a pic of the fish I was talking about. If you see this thing eat, it is amazing!!!

Old 06/17/2004, 07:53 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I voted other because I have had pretty much all of the above and then some. I have had aquariums since I was 12 years old (23 years and counting). I had community tanks most of that time, but also had large oscar/SA cichlid tanks, African cichlids, discus, angels, arowanna, Fancy goldfish tanks (Ryukin, Lionheads, etc.), rainbow tanks, killifish, tried my hand at brackish water for a while (archers, gobies, scats, etc.). I still have 2 outdoor ponds. 1 is ~3500 gallons with koi (9 koi from 18" - 26"), and the other is ~1300 gallons with Sarasa comets and Shubunkins. I have contemplated tearing down one of my reef tanks and going back to the planted tank with discus. Of all freshwater fish, I think I like them best.
Old 06/17/2004, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

I had just a goldfish bowl. One black goldfish had him for like 8 years i think. he lives with my sister now, still going strong.
Old 06/17/2004, 10:06 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

I went from an 20gallon Amazon- tetra tank to a 30gallon community/gourami tank to a 55gallon Tanganyikan tank- into a 120gallon Blue Ahli breeding system (of which i still have kept about 45) to today a 100gallon reef with now a 40 gallon sump and a 20 gallon fuge- dream is a 3500gallon octagonal tank/ or a shack on the beach in queensland (G.B.R.)

Josh

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 06/17/2004, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Had a 29 tall with tropicals that i donated to a school. I just sold a 55 Gallon Malawi Setup with a breeding pair and some others for 200 bucks and bought a 55g with a sump and figured that I could get out by spending another 200-300 bucks on a salt setup Here i am at least a thousand bucks later and i still have much to spend. It's funny how quick you get addicted, but the coolest thing is that my new girlfriend knows more about this stuff than i do, she is always helping me with my tank. Now who can deny, a cute girl that doesn't mind spending a night toying with the tank is more than a man could ask?
Old 06/17/2004, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

charlesgage thats pretty funny, i thought the same thing, "i already have the tank, stand,heater and light how much could it cost to go salt" $1000 and 3 months later i think i'm almost ready to add a mushroom
Old 06/17/2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Always wanted one and finally got the time, money, and chance to do it.
Old 06/17/2004, 03:16 PM
Moved On

Discus, 4 breeder pair, 6 30long grow out tanks. Way to much WORK!!!!
Old 06/17/2004, 04:24 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Anyone want to hear about my FW shark tank. I really didn't know that bull sharks needed to get some salt water once in awhile.

Tom
Old 06/17/2004, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I had some Red Bellied Pacus and absolutely loved them. They just got too dang big!
Old 06/30/2004, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

i started out with some bala sharks, then clown loaches and a pleco...then i lost the loaches and started a cichlid tank. ended up with one murderous red devil...traded him in at the lfs and never looked back!

donnie
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
Old 06/30/2004, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Started with soem Severum then went to Fei Feng..then to f/w stingrays and now im a salty!
Old 06/30/2004, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Lets see, I started with a Goldfish tank right after I got married. It lasted for awhile untill I accidently spilled too much food in the tank and since I did not know enough it went badly.

Next I converted it to a tropical tank and everything was going ok. Then I started adding more aggressive fish and befor long I was left with a 29g occupied with 2 large catfish, 10" & 11", one Tiger Oscer, 9" and 1 Pleco, 14". I started getting pink slime bad enough to require a complete tank cleaning avery few days. Did not know the problems of using tap water and anything about bio-load. The fish were given to a LFS and I gave the tank away.

Eight years later I am now taking care of a 10g nano reef that is doing nicely and I know more then I did before, and that there is always more to learn.
Old 06/30/2004, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

It all started as a SW 29 tank used to keep bait for fishing. The minnows became mullet, searobins, lookdowns, stargazers, pufferfish, pompano and whatever else I could catch. That was 25 years ago. I still keep a bait tank every summer.
Old 06/30/2004, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

1971, 10AGA with BILLIONS of swordtails. Over next five years my bros and I picked up used 75's until we had 5 tanks all over the house, all marine, all stuff we collected ourselves. Moved from Miami in '81, planted FW S.E. Asian, Malawi Cichlid, planted Congo River, 40 long/breeder SWFO/macros, later got MH and added condies, mandarinfish, first available LR (worked LFS) which came from FL by pickup truck overnight and had all kinda cool stuff on it!
Old 06/30/2004, 09:49 PM
RC Mod

Tried several fw setups, most worked and the fish lived, amazing considering how ignorant I was about fw fish needs.

Agu