Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

kewl... we actually have a very similar setup but using an ACJr at the momment (but also with DC8, DC4HD and socket expansion).
Old 03/08/2007, 07:44 PM
g0t fIsH

i think will always work better at full power with having to dial them down, just point flow to diiferent area, the way my tank design is 2 CL on 1 4-way OM each on sequence 5800SEQ, also did loc-line total 16 pc's 3/4" 8 on each, since my tank is 48"W design it with little amount of dead spot, on each segment one foot was installed, here general idea how my tank was drilled..diagram only shows back of tank but in the front bottom is 4" where other 4-way was drilled...

(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/08/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

delayed double post
Old 03/08/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

CB are those holes at the bottom? I didn't drill the bottom for CL under my tank -- I'm scared it might leak. Just like one of my overflow box which is leaking in the fitting for my return. To fix the problem I have to drain the overflow box -- I won't wanna do this in the main tank.
Old 03/08/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

CB do you have a build thread for your tank?
Old 03/09/2007, 02:15 AM
g0t fIsH

no yet will soon my tank is due friday 3-9, today. i will post up soon as i see the tank and that it's problems free. yes i did drilled holes on the bottom of tank, but i have also ordered all haywood sch 80 heavy duty bulks all around, besides my whole setup will be in garage..i been working for about a month on it but have been saving all pics, was waiting to post tank on front page than follow the rest. i think estimated on my system will be 1300gal total. it should be nice by gathering all info from all sort and guys building here to put together the ultimate setup.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/09/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hi CB, I say wooowwww that is a very big volume of water to manage. You gonna have a lot of fun aquascaping your tank. I used sch80 bulkhead only in my setup too. I didn't like those black thin sch40 bulkhead; they easily breaks base from my experience.

I just rework some of the fittings last night to take care of the water leaks and it looks fine now. Though there are still a couple spots were water still leaks but it only leaks like 1 drop per 2 hours or less. Not really worried on that. I'll probably gonna fix it when I got the time. Rightnow, I need to concentrate my effort on getting up the canopy and lighting.

I also fixed the noisy overflow by extending the 90deg elbow on the durso high enough so that water level on the overflow is pretty much at the same level with the prefilter slots on the overflow.

Tomorrow will be a big day. I'll be replacing 100g of the water in the tank with an equivalent amount of water from a friend where I'll be buyin his livestocks. His livestocks will be move to my tank on that same day too. This includes the palan, purple tank, foxface and 12" blue spotted giga clam.
Old 03/09/2007, 02:17 PM
g0t fIsH

patience my friend and make sure everything is in order, that's the route I am taking so I had preorder all items down to last ball valves and gate, I used all heavy duty fittings from hayward everywhere so no leak or mistake of having to redo, because a system this large in size can't have any room for error, and yes i will have alot of fun doing this..haha hehe waiting for fedex right now.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/12/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I didn't got the chance to put the livestocks that I planned, but instead I stock the aquarium with livestocks from this thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1067442

So, my tank now have his tangs: yellow, hippo, desjardini (sailfin) tang. I also bought his pair of japanese swallowtail angel fish.

I also bought a neon green carpet from a local LFS.

I would probably add the other livestocks from my friend's tank this Tuesday.

Last edited by xinumaster; 03/12/2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03/12/2007, 06:15 PM
Here comes the Gators

Any full tank shots?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 03/12/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

looking good Perry... you are braver than I am with that green carpet nem
Old 03/13/2007, 12:18 AM
g0t fIsH

you going with bare bottom, looking good there and angels are great
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/13/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

55, I'll post picture of the full tank after I mount the canopy tonight. You can go back to page 4 and there's a full tank shot there with out the canopy.

CB, time to try BB. I used to have DSB in my old tank but I always have problem with cyano. But if I need to switch to DSB it should be easy, but not the other way around.

Here is picture of my skimmer when I turn it on last Thursday. Note this skimmer is a euroreef CS12-1 with too pumps sedra9000 and sedra5000. However, I only turn ON ONE pump which is the sedra5000 and yet it is already skimming.

Old 03/13/2007, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Looking good Perry... we had similar experience with our skimmer once we finally turned it on.. since we had run the tank for several weeks with a seriously undersized HOB skimmer (still better than nothing).

Looks like you are skimming pretty wet there ? I forget, do you have it gravity fed ? I set ours to skim pretty dry only because I had trouble adjusting the gravity feed to be consistent. Can't wait for the FTS of your tank
Old 03/13/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tom, I don't use gavity. the pumps just sucks the water from the sump.
Old 03/13/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Ah, gotcha.. thought it was maybe one of the recirc models from ER. Personally I like gravity feed, since it usually results in higher skimmer efficiency, it is just that right now our plumbing is configured for a different skimmer, so it is not so "tuned" for our current skimmer (hence our flow consistency issues).
Old 03/13/2007, 04:56 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Looking nice Perry! How's the Giga doing?
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 03/13/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Hi Jerome, Didn't got the chance to pick up the giga, I was in Daly City over the weekend and i didn't have time to install the MH. Hopefully, I'll pick up the giga this Saturday after I install the MH.
Old 03/15/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

As requested here is the full shot of my tank. One think I didn't like about this setup is that I can see the water line. That canopy was not able to hide it.

Shot from another angle

And here another addition to my livestocks list. A more than a foot long giga clam.
Old 03/15/2007, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xinumaster
As requested here is the full shot of my tank. One think I didn't like about this setup is that I can see the water line. That canopy was not able to hide it.
Perry, I have similar problem for my new tank and canopy. The waterline is to high and touches the tank bracing. If I lower the waterline, the canopy can not hide it.

Are you going to leave it that way or you will do some fixes? From the picture, it seems it's impossible to lower your canopy.

That giga is huge!
Old 03/15/2007, 12:17 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Very nice Perry. The clam looks so huge! The canopy can be lowered more if you like. Just take the wood stoper around it and move it higher so the canopy will sit lower.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 03/15/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Hi Albert, Nice to hear from you. I didn't know you were following my thread. I might probably just cover the water line with black thin acrylic. By the way how is your new tank?

Hi Jerome, The canopy can't be lowered. The canopy uses the lower edge of the side wall of the canopy to act as the wood stopper itself then they added a 2"x3/4" molding on the side that hide the top of the tank. One think I could probably do also is add an additional 1" wide of wood molding to hide the water line. Problem is that I'm not a good carpenter.

Last edited by xinumaster; 03/15/2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03/15/2007, 02:46 PM
g0t fIsH

i think you would do better to modify the inside before adding anything on the outside due to looks
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/15/2007, 02:52 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Perry,

Maybe you could talk to WM and let them fix the issue.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 03/15/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Hi jerome, yah I talked to WM today he said it was me who told them to cut the overflow prefilter (slots in the overflow box) 2" high. the reason why I want a 2" prefilter slots is so that I can us the wavebox. They said that the only way I can fixed the problem is to cover a 3/4" of below the slots behind the overflow box so that the water will rise. Unfortunately, if I do that I won't be able to use my wavebox.