Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2005, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Starboard Reef is up and running

This thread was split due to performance issues. You can find the previous portion of the thread here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...31#post4559131

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 03/19/2005, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Tankslave,
Can you post a pic of your tank? I have a 58 gallon BB tank and have two penductors I'm not using because I thought the tank wasnt long enough at 3 feet.

Nick
Old 03/20/2005, 03:45 PM
yes it's my aquarium

unbelievable!

A thread that hampers RC's performance issues.
Congrats, Jerel!
I might as well ask my question here:
what is the large purple gorgonian growing in 'Starboard Reef'?
(It looks like one of those commonly called 'Purple Blades'...)
Old 03/20/2005, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Re: unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Thread
Today at lowes I saw 2'x4' sheets of pvc pegboard...they were about 3/8" thick...anyone think that would make a good starboard? the little holes would give place for bugs and stuff to hide. It was about $11.96 per sheet.
I'm also curious about something like this....What about that styrofoam type stuff that is put on the outside of houses? Would that work?
Old 03/20/2005, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally posted by rtcpenguin
I'm also curious about something like this....What about that styrofoam type stuff that is put on the outside of houses? Would that work?
I wouldn't use any material that isn't safe for potable water use or wasn't UV resisant. You would need to find out what it is made of.

Starboard is readily available, so why not use it instead of trying to reinvent the wheel?
Old 03/20/2005, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Is starboard sold in any B&M stores?
Old 03/20/2005, 05:13 PM
*----Reefer----*

holes don't sound like a great idea. I would expect them to trap D.
Old 03/20/2005, 05:17 PM
*----Reefer----*

look for HDPE at plastic companies. Starborad is just a name brand.
Old 03/20/2005, 05:18 PM
*----Reefer----*

This stuff is also sold as cuttingboards.
Old 03/20/2005, 07:12 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Tankslave,
Can you post a pic of your tank? I have a 58 gallon BB tank and have two penductors I'm not using because I thought the tank wasnt long enough at 3 feet.

Nick
My tank is exactly 36" long. The two penductors are the only outlets for my Iwaki 55RLT which pumps up from the sump. Its the only circulation I have, but that Iwaki can really charge up those penductors! I wouldn't do it with sand in the tank. It blows everything all over the place. Guess that's the idea. The fish freaked out at first, but they got used to the fast flow. The penductors cause some pretty chaotic flow, but they are very directional, so don't put anything directly in front. I have it set up so that the two streams cross, but don't collide with each other. The tank has a sort of figure 8 flow pattern now, with some turbulent eddy currents where the streams cross. The SPS seem to like the mixed up flow patterns. Im still fixing my SeaSwil. Once that is up and going again, im going to put the penductor on the left on the sea swirl and have it rotate back and forth. That should really mix things up, and blow some of the detritus out from behind the rocks. Anyhow, here's the pics:

[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...Penductor1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ht_3:20:05.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ft_3:20:05.jpg[/IMG]

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 03/20/2005, 08:21 PM
Mackerel

Bomber,
Your RTOTM years back was one of my favorites of the pre-RK period. Have you submitted your present tank for RTOTM? It would be a more coherent foremat to present your current husbandry than a thread that winds for pages and has become cumbersome to pick through - too cumbersome for me. It would seem worthwhile, just from the standpoint of the number of people who seem to have changed their husbandry from your (and simularly minded older-reefers) influence.

Do you ever worry that the "starboard reef" method will be taken as a panacea and when it does not solve all of a person's problems, they will take it against you personally?
Old 03/20/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

I want to use the starboard on my tank, but I have 3" bracing running around the bottom of the tank. Is there a problem with running the board right up to the side over the bracing . I wanted to know if anyone has done this. I don't want to keep it 3" away from the glass but I'm worried about it not being flush with the bottom.
Thanks Bob
Old 03/20/2005, 09:52 PM
Moved forward

Quote:
Originally posted by piercho
Bomber,
Your RTOTM years back was one of my favorites of the pre-RK period. Have you submitted your present tank for RTOTM? It would be a more coherent foremat to present your current husbandry than a thread that winds for pages and has become cumbersome to pick through - too cumbersome for me. It would seem worthwhile, just from the standpoint of the number of people who seem to have changed their husbandry from your (and simularly minded older-reefers) influence.

Do you ever worry that the "starboard reef" method will be taken as a panacea and when it does not solve all of a person's problems, they will take it against you personally?
I think you have to be nominated and not submit yourself . There also might be something to not being TOTM twice . Although the tank is so different it shouldn't be considered the same tank .

Does anyone know who to PM to nominate some one ?
Old 03/20/2005, 09:58 PM
Moved forward

Hey tankslave ,

What do your overflow or flows consist of that can handle a iwaki55 ? I'm setting up either a 58g or and 80 wide . both are 36" long and seem to come with only one 1" drain .

Thanks
Joe
Old 03/20/2005, 11:04 PM
Leopard in training

Quote:
Originally posted by joefish
Does anyone know who to PM to nominate some one ?
You can PM either Skipper, JohnL, or other members of the staff with nominations for TOTM.
Old 03/21/2005, 03:06 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by joefish
Hey tankslave ,

What do your overflow or flows consist of that can handle a iwaki55 ? I'm setting up either a 58g or and 80 wide . both are 36" long and seem to come with only one 1" drain .

Thanks
Joe
That's right, its a Lifereef on crack. Yea, it came with 1" pipe. That didn't cut it. Now it has two u-tubes and 1.5" drain pipe in a modified Durso on the back. Pushes about 900gph...

[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...lowTopView.jpg[/IMG]

You can see the original 1" drain at the bottom, now capped off. The new drain comes out the side so that the minimum water level in the rear box is higher than the bottom of the second u-tube, so as to maintain the siphon even if there is no flow.

Old 03/21/2005, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

nice bit of reef engineering there TS!

Nick
Old 03/21/2005, 04:15 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Thanks Nick!
...I think I'll go by TS from now on, has a good ring to it...

Old 03/21/2005, 04:01 PM
Moved forward

Thats cool TS ,

I like the way you didn't except what it would do .

I did think it was a reef ready tank , at least from the first set of pics .

I like the crack comment too .....

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03/21/2005, 06:56 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

TS, How will you put your penductors on a seaswirl? First concern is that you would have to clear a path from any coral being in it's path (yours probably arent as powerful as mine considering 900gph/2 to my 3000/4 but you know they are hazardous to a coral's health if in stationary position). Second would be how to physically attach it to the seaswirl itself. I've been thinking about a way to do it myself but have not figured a good way to overcome these issues. My new thought is to fasten a seio (cheap tunze like pump) to a seaswirl or maybe just an osculating fan mount diy of sort. That would be somewhat of an eyesore though.
Old 03/21/2005, 09:55 PM
How many is too many?

I know your not suppopsed to put any kind of back pressure on a SS. If you try it let me know how it works out!! Thatll be awesome if it works well long term
Chris
Old 03/21/2005, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

New to reefs and am setting up a new 75. Originally I was going DSB but after reading this thread(all 141+ pages) I am going starboard, the tank is drilled but had no overflows I built one in one corner but now think I may need one in the other corner to handle the flow. now would be the time since I am still building and plumbing. ??Shoud I go with two overflows and put my return over the top??
Old 03/22/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Just do the one overflow and use a closed loop to supply the rest of your flow needs.....

Nick
Old 03/25/2005, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

bomber, what kind of rock do you have? (fiji, florida, tonga, etc...)
Old 03/25/2005, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

bomber, what kind of rock do you have? (fiji, florida, tonga, etc...)