Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like your fine from above and will be able to keep all those plugs out of the way. What's your plan for water storage (ro/di) and salt water mixing? It might be more cost effective if you went to straight DI for preparation of water. I saw a guy somewhere on RC who used a system like what's used in dialysis centers to prepare water, basically 2 or 3 scuba tank sized containers of DI resins that ultimately maintained 0 PPM and no water waste. The company comes in and changes out the resins based on his usage. I would think up in ND your water temps will be pretty low so the wastage from a RO membrane will be pretty high unless you heat the water somehow.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

matt & pam: yeah, I believe that was on Steve Weast's thread when his tank crashed recently, someone posted their high capacity DI system, will try to find it.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Yes, you are absolutely correct!! I will have the lights turning on in pairs, rather than one big "BANG"!! One way to limit failures is to maybe run the MH lights off 220V (something I have installed in that room).

When I was talking about Steve's 5800W, I just meant lights as well. I think I will probably will be running 4-5 400's or 6-8 250's like you suggested...I just worry that 250's won't reach the bottom. I guess I could use a combination of both. Thanks for the help!!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I have an in house DI system that i have 2-12 gallon holding tanks...I can get up to 2- 100 gallons. I have that DI line run into the fish room. I will also have a seperate compartment in the sump for mixing saltwater and slowly added to the system.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

That's interesting. I didn't think water from a DI system was recommended for residential consumption - most of the systems I've seen have the sediment filters/carbon/RO membrane. Do you use any DI filtered water for consumption?
Old 12/13/2007, 02:07 PM

Di water is fine for consumption but it is dead water. no minerals etc. and very unstable. Because there are no buffers in it, the flavor turns bad rather quickly. The is a re-mineralization process for drinking water, coffee making etc.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Opps, my mistake...My water system is RO/DI with 2-12 gallon tanks.
Old 12/13/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

What an incredible design on the room and tank.

The asthetics are rather remarkable, details of the room are perfect. The molding around the tank, along with the rest of the room are very gentle and pleasing on the eye, but don't overpower the shear impact of the tank.

We are in the process of doing something such as this but on a less remarkable scale, otherhalf said that I could have a fish viewing room. We have a formal living room thats pretty much useless so we ripped out the carpet, installed harwood flooring, installed crown moulding and included 2 huge, leather wing backed chairs that are centered on the tank (215g starphire)
The room is totaly dedicted to viewing the tank, thats why I appreciate the detail you have included in your design.

My tank will also be a mixed softy and LPS tank as I love a tank that has lots of movement, things swaying in the flow.

I look forward to following this project, once again, simply incredible design!
Old 12/13/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the nice comments!! I have taken this process slow so I can adapt to suggestions and comments that I feel might make the system better and more effecient. There is a long way to go, and I can only hope the rest goes as smoothly.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:05 PM

Funny thing, I did my reef first and still haven't done the viewing room.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

My wife likes to have dinner parties and such so finishing the outside of the room was a first and must for her
Old 12/13/2007, 06:26 PM

no doubt. My wife doesn't go down to the man-cave very often anyway...it's scary!
Old 12/13/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I have two other projects (Bar/Entertainment built-ins) going on in the basement as well (with a 12 seat theatre in the near future)...It is enjoyable to see how the basement is coming together as a whole.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow. Give us a pic tour when the basement is done. Sounds incredible. I thought having a reef tank and a wood shop in the basement was cool, but your's sounds over the top.

Matt
Old 12/13/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Wood shop doesn't sound bad either!! My wife and I love to entertain and our house is designed for that purpose. she designed and space planned the entire house and it seems like nothing went unoticed. Once I have it all done I invite anyone to make the arctic trek to Fargo and come and see!! $5 admission of course...
Old 12/13/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

hehe, part of my deal was that I would install the flooring in the viewing room and then redo the formal dinning room as well and then I could have my new tank and finish my sound system collection....Martin Logans electro statics Ascent i's that would also be added to the viewing room, total package, visual, sound and comfort....life is good
Old 12/13/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

If we are ever in the area, might take you up on the offer...
we did the same with our house, house was designed around the pool and interior courtyard....Next house will be designed around the "tank"....

If your ever in Vegas, drop on in.....
Old 12/13/2007, 08:51 PM

My neighbor has a cool theatre. I opted to put my tank in the wall I was going to mount a wide-screen.
Old 12/14/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

I am a big poker player so I come out to Vegas about one every 3 months for my "fix"...I will get in touch with you the next time I'm in the area. Once I get this tank done I am going to have a theatre with an ocean theme (sunken pirate ship, large corals, gigantic fish)...only time will tell what my wife will dream up and design.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

That'll look nice when its done. Where in Fargo do you plan on getting your livestock from?
Old 12/14/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I plan on going to Minneapolis/St. Paul to get all my livestock. I think i will buy dead rock online and cure it for a few months. I have about 200 lbs of 3 yr old rock in another tank to seed it with.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefaquariumnut
I have two other projects (Bar/Entertainment built-ins) going on in the basement as well (with a 12 seat theatre in the near future)...It is enjoyable to see how the basement is coming together as a whole.
any pics?
Old 12/14/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

I will post pictures when the bar/entertainment center is done beginning of Feb. My theatre only has carpet and lights....I am thinking that should be done sometime mid-summer.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

sounds good, that will be quite a room when it's all done
Old 12/14/2007, 02:49 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefaquariumnut
I plan on going to Minneapolis/St. Paul to get all my livestock. I think i will buy dead rock online and cure it for a few months. I have about 200 lbs of 3 yr old rock in another tank to seed it with.
You could just hook up with marcorocks.com if you want dry and dont want to travel. You tell them the dimensions of your tank, and what you are trying to get for looks, and they will hand select rocks for you, even send you pics of the 'show pieces'.
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=14

Ive always been happy with the Eco-Rocks from 2-part solution, but I dont know if they have rocks large enough for what you need.
http://www.twopartsolution.com/index...ed780ac594917c

What are your considerations for the rock though? Just sit it on the sand/bottom, or do you plan on making a rack to elevate the rock off the sand? Racks can be PVC, acrylic, egg-crate, etc. You can cover them with aragacrete, great-stuff covered with arag, etc. Im trying to keep all the rocks in my tank elevated like this... it prevents pockets of dead flow and sediment buildup. It prevents things from dying and just being 'lost'.