Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2005, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Need information on a 40gal setup...

I am planning on buying a captive sun deluxe retrofitkit from marinedepot the one that I am going to buy is the 24in with 2 powercompacts and 1 MH bulb. I am going to screw it in my canopy. I want to have a SPS and some LPS hard corals. I will have a wet/dry filter with a overflow box. What pumps and how many should I put in my 40gal inorder to keep my SPS and LPS thriving?
Old 09/13/2005, 01:45 AM
TRC Leader

I'd ditch the wet/dry if I were you. They will only cause trouble down the line. Let your live rock, skimming and use of a refugium (water changes too!) be your filtration.

How many GPH are you getting from your return pump?
Old 09/13/2005, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

It is the Rio 1700. I already have the wet/dry it has a protein skimmer and also uses bio balls. I am thinking of doing bare bottom tank or should I use sand?
Old 09/13/2005, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

most dont like bioballs, something about nitrates. people also seem to hate rio anything heh. but not like people dont use both items succesfully.

that last question is a bad question to ask. Ive read for literally dozens of hours in countless threads here; and what Ive gotten is that its up to you lol. whatever you think looks good. for bb you need a powerful and correctly oriented circulation setup.
Old 09/13/2005, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Yea, I know i will have to use powerful pumps and if I do go BB I will not have a fuge so I will not have any sand in the system at all... Will this be ok? Also I see a lot of people use thing that one particular water pump in the tank it hang on and it looks like a fan. I see it all over the forums but what is the name of it and where can I buy one? ahah
Old 09/13/2005, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by S4-1
Yea, I know i will have to use powerful pumps and if I do go BB I will not have a fuge so I will not have any sand in the system at all... Will this be ok? Also I see a lot of people use thing that one particular water pump in the tank it hang on and it looks like a fan. I see it all over the forums but what is the name of it and where can I buy one? ahah
you might be talking about the tunze streams, you can find them all ove on online shops, not too sure about lfs, mine doesnt carry them

as for the sand bed vs bb, its really up to you, as stated above bb you need alot of flow, but if your doing a sand bed you want a dsb probably, although some seem to think that no matter what a dsb will crash after a few years, a small 1/2" or so sand bed will just need to be cleaned constantly to keep nitrates and phosphates down, i too have a 40gal setup, i have a few pics in my gallery and you can see the issues im having with about a 1" sand bed and algae, but i will never get rid of my sand bed, before you decide one way or the other do alot of research to make sure u set either up properly(if there is such a thing), my issue is, not a deep enough sand bed, and the fact that the grain of the sand i used is too large... as for a poor skimmer.. i too have that issue, which isnt helping my algae problems, but as i stated before, do alot of research on both dsb and bb and decide which would work for you best

hope this helps, sorry for rambling

Andrew
Old 09/13/2005, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The PH that looks like a fan is either SEIO or Tunze, it's widely available at most online suppliers.
It's up to you to go with BB or sand. Either way, get a good protein skimmer. You can use the wet/dry as a sump, but ditch the bioballs, as they trap detritus and eventually raise nitrate levels.
Old 09/13/2005, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I am thinking of buying the SEIO pump for my 40gal SPS tank. What GPH do I need for my SPS 620gph, 820gph, 1100gph, or 1500gph? Oh yea what does DSB stand for? sand bed? haha
Old 09/14/2005, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Anyone know what GPH i need?
Old 09/14/2005, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I am thinking of buying the SEIO pump for my 40gal SPS tank. What GPH do I need for my SPS 620gph, 820gph, 1100gph, or 1500gph? Oh yea what does DSB stand for? sand bed? haha
DSB stands for deep sand bed, usually a sand bed exceeding 3+"

I dont know much about SPS, but you might want to discuss you lighting with someone who actually cares for them, it might not be sufficient enough.. but again.. id ask someone who knows