Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 04/07/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

In cold water reefs, clam filters have been used for years with great success. I have only seen one place do this (biological marine life supply center in Gulf of Maine) but it's not to say it hasn't been used anywhere else.

Basically a clam filter is a wide and long, shallow refugium with clams piled up everywhere. Think of what an oyster bed looks like, a clam filter is similar. The clams were cherry stone clams (yes the type you cook with) if I remember correctly. Cherry stones are a cold water species obviously.

Of course this was a temperate reef with temperate clams, I haven't the slightest idea of how it would work in tropical reefs.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I have been using the Cherrystone clam in my reef for approx a year for filtration and they are doing great!!

Quote:
No one has really proven that they do any good at all. So how many is a complete guess.
My tank was proof enough for me - my nitrates were always 60ppm and above I feed my critters well so I know where the nitrate was coming from. I have changed nothing except added the cherrystones to my fuge 4 at first until the nitrates were down at which time I gave 2 away and the 2 that remain have kept the nitrates 0-5ppm for almost a year.

Last edited by dragonladylea; 04/07/2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:38 PM
Actiniaria Addict

I've tested nitrates in the stock tank with littlenecks several times since adding them and levels have dropped from 40ppm or so to around 10ppm with no other changes. They're all still alive in there and happily filtering away. The ones in my food culture tanks are still alive and happy as well, I don't test those tanks though. The ones in the 'fuge for the 75g reef are all dead but I suspect the big hermit crab that was banished down there of murdering them, when we find a home for him I'll try some in there again.

-Sonja
Old 04/09/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Love hearing everyones good results.

It looks like anyone testing their nitrates before and after have found them to be good cleaners!

I've got a brand new small empty tank set up. It's for anemone breeding, but before I move the anemones into it, I'll do a little test with the clams and some nitrate. Measure how long it takes 5 of them to reduce it.

I keep my display tank at 84+ degrees, which is warmer than most people. That could be the reason some of my manila clams have died. I have a dozen more in there now and they seem to be doing well. None died on acclimation this time.
Chris

RedSonja -
I've been playing WoW for the last 2 months- Its such an addictive game! Lvl44 hunter.

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonladylea
I have been using the Cherrystone clam in my reef for approx a year for filtration and they are doing great!!

My tank was proof enough for me - my nitrates were always 60ppm and above I feed my critters well so I know where the nitrate was coming from. I have changed nothing except added the cherrystones to my fuge 4 at first until the nitrates were down at which time I gave 2 away and the 2 that remain have kept the nitrates 0-5ppm for almost a year.
Old 04/09/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I've noticed that since I got into WoW, my reef spending has drastically decreased!

Then again, so has my reef maintenance.

(38 Druid, 22 Hunter, 16 Druid - Anvilmar server) lol
Old 04/09/2007, 12:01 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrismo
I keep my display tank at 84+ degrees, which is warmer than most people. That could be the reason some of my manila clams have died. I have a dozen more in there now and they seem to be doing well. None died on acclimation this time.
Chris

RedSonja -
I've been playing WoW for the last 2 months- Its such an addictive game! Lvl44 hunter.
I do think the higher temps stress them from my experience. But I'm happy with the job they're doing. I don't want nitrates to go to zero in these tanks as I'm using the larger one for bta propagation.

I should change my signature, I played WoW from closed beta test until the middle of 2006, got burned out, came back for Burning Crusade and played a couple of weeks and burned out again. Lvl 60 feral druid pvp ranked Knight on Durotan and several mid-40's on a dozen or so other servers. Right now I'm in the beta for LotR online and it's okay, but probably not going to part me from any money for a subscription. :/ Besides, I am starting a business, I need to spend my time on that instead of games (yeah like I'm not spending time on RC instead of tank maintenance now anyway)

-Sonja
Old 04/10/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Can all of you tell us what your water temps are lows and highs?
Old 04/11/2007, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

82-85 for me.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:06 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

For those doing this for sometime now, please give an update on how things are going.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:06 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

Old 01/11/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I lost my original ones to a Strawberry Hermit crab, but quickly replaced them - the originals were in the tank for approx a year or so before the hermit ate them. I feed my tank well and the cleaners do their job on keeping the Nitrates down to 5-10 so I will continue to use them.