Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

FS - pair of swallowtail angel

I got a pair of healthy swallowtail angel for sale -- $80 for the pair. They're been in my tank for about 8 month now.

Female

Male - strips are not fully develop yet but it will get there.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Are they reef safe, do they nip either clams or corals?
Old 11/01/2007, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

They should be fine with your livestock Spencer, but I don't know about your tank size though. I don't remember their min requirement (much less for a pair).

Why are you selling them Perry ? and do they stick together as a true pair ?

We had a single swallowtail some time ago but it developed a swim bladder condition and didn't make it . Really pretty fish too. Too bad you are so far from us, I would consider giving them a home in our tank (If Spencer wasn't first in line in front of us that is ).
Old 11/01/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Tom, I know even my 120 gal can't beat the size of your gigantic skimmer let along your monster tank, but I am sure they will be very happy under my care, and you are always welcome to come by and visit the 2 . $80 for the pair is just too good of deal to let go.

Perry, please let me know if there is no taker in front of me, I am in north SJ, which is quite close front where you are.

Spencer
Old 11/01/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Spencer they're reef safe and does not pick on corals nor clam. I'm selling it because I just bought a pair of Bellus and a male watanabe angels. And probably later I be adding a female watanabe if I can fine one. These genus Genicanthus are the only sure reef safe that I know.

I live a few houses from Hyacinth "aka Alan".
Old 11/02/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

damn...i would totally take them if all others fall through...gorgeous fish!
Old 11/02/2007, 02:28 AM
Tailspot Blenny

beautiful pair!

where did you get your bellus from if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11/02/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Got my bellus from Liveaquaria. The watanabe I got from aquaticbliss.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

nice fish.
Old 11/02/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Perry, can I pick up the angels tomorrow afternoon say around 2ish. I live a few blocks from you and Alan near Oakland Rd.
Spencer
Old 11/02/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Great score Spencer. Please do post some pictures of them once you get them acclimated. I will say that typically swallowtail angels pictures rarely do them justice once you see them in person.

P.S. Those frags we got from you way back when are all doing great. That "deepwater" one that we talked you out of a little frag of has grown and colored up pretty much a match to our Tubs Horrida. You really had a nice selection. Thanks again . You will have to let us know when you decide to sell any more frags... it would give us a good excuse to stop by and chat again !!!
Old 11/02/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Perry, you should see if you can hit Spencer up for frags instead of $$ .

Here is that coral that you called "deepwater" when we picked up a frag of it from you. It is under an ATI Aquablue Plus (12k I think) T5 bulb.

Old 11/02/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Hi Alan, thanks for the complement. Got you email too.

Hi Tom, What I need now is cash to help me save for a new skimmer that I'm thinking of getting next hear -- it might be a BK300, reflo 250 or the ATB normal.

Spencer, 2pm is fine with me. I wish I could see you tank too. I like to have some corals but until I got a new skimmer I might have to wait for now.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Perry that sounds great I will see you then. Good luck on saving up the money, but sounds like you will have a long way to go for an ATB or a BK getting $80 at a time . Nevertheless, I think it will be great to see a fellow Bay Area reefers and pay a visit to your reef since I see you here all the time giving good advises.

Tom, instead of selling my frags I think we should trade with each other, because you have the ability to tag any brown acro with LE lineage after sitting in your tank for couple of months . Are you sure the deep water acro in the photo was from my tank, I can't recognize that since it looks too good and too different from the one I have. I will pose some photos and compare notes later on.
I am really interest in your bozooka joe, perhaps I can cut a piece of nathen green for our first trade , either way it would be great to just see you, your wife and the baby girl.

Spencer
Old 11/02/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by africangrey
Perry that sounds great I will see you then. Good luck on saving up the money, but sounds like you will have a long way to go for an ATB or a BK getting $80 at a time . Spencer
I already save about $1k just for selling my other reef equipments that I no longer need.

-perry
Old 11/02/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Spencer,
I am 99.9% sure that is the coral we got from you, and if that is the case then it is the one you called a "deepwater" coral. It was towards the front left in your tank and you had only just gotten it from an LFS a short time before we were there last. We started it out on rubble on the bottom of our tank and once it encrusted onto that rubble we epoxied the rubble piece onto our rockward where we wanted it. Maybe we just blasted it with more light than where you had it in your tank ? I don't know, but it is already one of our favorite pieces.

As for hte bazooka joe, we really want to let it grow out alot more before we start carving it up. It was a fraction of this size when we shelled out $175 for the frag back the first of this year. We really want to enjoy it rather than carve it up (but it will be fragged, given time, no worries on that )

Perry,
If you have that much already, scott was working on a smaller version of the Volcano Skimmer (more or less in answer to Reeflo's new Dart Skimmer). You should see if you can get one from him and compare features and pricing to the manufacturers you already listed.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Tom,
I might check out Scott small version of his volcano skimmer. As long as it fit under the tank cabinet -- it has 33.5in clearance. Anyway, I'm not really in a hurry I time to shop around and to check out new technology in skimmer.

Okay, time to start catching that angel.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Perry, good luck with the fish trap and let me know when those two take the bait.

Tom, not sure if this is the one you were talking about, someone calls it Karl's Candlelight but I am not so sure.

This is the picture I took back in May which exibited some pink hue on the body.

A frag of it placed very high undermeath 400Watt XM20K but lost it's pinkish body.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Hi Spencer,

I still have no luck trapping those angels. They don't seems to go down the bottom were the trap is. Sound like it is going to take me a while to catch them. All my fish are getting fatter now because of the extra food that I been dropping just to lure those angels into my trap.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Spencer,

That doesn't look like the kandlelight to me. But it is a nice looking coral none the less

Perry,

What trap are you using ? Does it have a feed tube ? Try using a cleaning magnet pair to hold the trap up on the glass, off of the sandbed.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tom,

Yes it has a feed tube but not a clear tube though. It would be nice if it was a clear tube so they can see the feed inside the tube decending down into the main trap.

Good idea about the magnet but I don't think my 6200 magnet would fit inside the fish trap. A suregrip magnet might work. Let me see if I can find one in my garage.

Last edited by xinumaster; 11/05/2007 at 01:45 PM.