Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2007, 02:52 PM
saltwater in my veins

My new fish trap:

Take any large clear water bottle, cut the top off and remove any plactic wrapping, then attach it to the inside of your aquarium with two magnets (use a magfloat, any safe magnet) near the surface. I attach it from the bottom of the bottle to the side of my aquarium. Feed inside the bottle (turn the pumps off if they are strong) for a day or two.

Watch fish swim in to eat after it is trained and acclimated to it, quickly block the front with anything, and remove the bottle.

I have caught a bunch of fish in 1 day (One day feeding inside, ctach the next day once it is acclimated) with this. No hassel at all, just set, feed for a day and grab.

Im sure it could be improved, I just use a piece of acrylic like a trap door to block the front quickly.

Last edited by HBtank; 05/04/2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05/04/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShipMate
Here s one that worked for me: (Learned here on reefcentral)

My sumps are in the basement
I use a U shaped length of fexible PVC in the 55gal refugium tank with a bunch of small holes on the inner part of the U shape, the bubbles come out gently through the holes, the opening is near the surface. No microbubbles, no salt spray.

For the bigger 100 gal sump i use a coiled length of 1.5" pvc, no bubbles...
Very interested.. I kind of get what you are saying. Can you give a little more detail or a picture? Thanks
Old 05/05/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Woops... Didn't realize this post was from like 1988.
Old 05/05/2007, 10:27 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
Too funny!

I'm always amazed when a really old thread gets dredged up. How do they find them???

But this one is an all time great ... good to see it pop back up.
Old 05/05/2007, 10:45 PM
Moved On

hey you can clean your glass with windex.
Old 05/06/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

adjustment to fish trap-- after cutting the top off, invert it into the "body" of the bottle as if making a funnel into the bottle. Fish will swim in but can not swim out. Make sure the size of the hole is size specific according to which fish you want to trap. I've caught a few aggressive damsels in that manner. Sometimes instead of using food as bait, you can use another damsel as the more aggressive one will try to attack the one in the trap and thus trapping himself.

parameters:
78-79F
alk 7dKH
sg 1.026
pH 8.2
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium 400
Old 05/07/2007, 07:21 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
This is a thread that I'm always happy to see revived in my subscription list. I hope it never closes...every time it gets revived a new set of newbies will have days of reading, and us former-newbies can still benefit from it too!

So by all means...explain away.

--Fizz
Old 08/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Moved On

back up for a classic
Old 08/07/2007, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

not sure if this ones been mentioned yet but my salt mixing bucket used to be a super-dirty mess. now instead of just putting a powerhead in i've attached a quickfilter and my water and bucket are always sparkling clean. it's kinda funny how we spend all the time and money on procuring clean water and then just add a bunch of dirt into it with our salt mixes...