Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 01/08/2008, 09:44 AM
Geek

Clownfish eye has spot?

Hey all. My latz has been doing amazing since I got her in October. No signs of any parasites etc or anything. However, I am not sure if its the angle in which I'm looking at her or my eyes or if there's something really there but I am seeing just a tiny opaque spot or two on her right pupil.

What could be causing this?

She's getting a varied mix of nori, mysis, prawn eggs, formula 2 (food soaked in garlic and zoe marine). There is ich in the tank but it is dormant and not showing on anyone. I am a little concerned that it could be this just showing in her eye but I'd think it'd clear or show in other places.

Not sure what to do for the gal or if I'm even seeing what I am.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member.

wierd i remember a while back other people with them expierencing the same thing and it got progressively worse until the fish went blind.

Some ppl speculated light but its hard to say either way

hopefully this isnt the same thing but it sure does sound like it
Old 01/08/2008, 02:01 PM
Geek

I'm wondering if I should try something like pimafix - she swims, eats, follows me begging for food without impedence to her eyesight so far so I'm hoping its not the same thing.

I've read they need vitamin A to keep their eyesight healthy so i make sure she gets a lot of veggies and can even supplement her food with something like broccoli if i had to (a good source of A for human diets at least and not unheard of for fish?) but i'm just not sure what to do
Old 01/11/2008, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Hi - I'm glad I found this thread! I bought a pair of false clowns a couple of weeks ago (traded in my damsels for store credit) and I wish I'd taken a closer look before I made the decision...because one had a missing left eye (looked more like a healing wound rather than a birth defect, and it continues to improve as times passes).

The other has a small "crimp" (for want of a better word) on the bottom of its tail - the bottom corner looks like it was folded up and is stuck to the rest of the tail. This looks like a congenital issue but it doesn't appear to limit its swimming ability or activity level at all. However, I have noticed that it's eyes look somewhat opaque and there are times when I drop the food pellets in the water and it appears to not notice - whereas the one with the missing left eye goes right for them every time.

The other issue I'm having is that the one with the "opaqueness" has now for the third time jumped into the pump chamber of my 14G Biocube...the first time it happened I thought it was due to me reaching into the tank and startling it, but the last two times it has done so independently, and it makes me wonder...if in fact it can't see, is it possibly coming up blindly against the obstacle of the chamber wall and then jumping over...???