Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Thank you Paintbug Glad to hear your frag is doing well!
Old 08/17/2007, 09:04 PM
Member of SEA-T

i only tell the truth i will see you guys and gals tomorrow!!
Old 08/17/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Boy, the first swap I could actually go to and looks like I`ll be taking my 90 down and selling it all off.
Can we put the swap off till I get my new house I can only fit so many frags in my other tanks

Agreed Donnie has some nice stuff to trade!!!!
Old 08/17/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mike So you are building your house? Yay! Bummer you have to tear down that beautiful 90 gal reef
Old 08/17/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Doni,
Getting ready to soon. Dropped daughter off at college at EKU this week so starting to prep house for selling in future. Keeping smaller tanks but taking down the 90 so we can paint and re carpet. Will frag and keep some of what I have but selling off all the rest.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Anyone know where I can get a tuxedo urchin in the Raleigh area? I know Fishworld has them, but I got an emerald crab from them the other day and the SG of the water was like 1.018 and it took me forever to acclimate to 1.026. I know their tuxedos are in the same system. Anywhere else?
Old 08/18/2007, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Mike - Ahhh.. are you keeping the 90 gal set up in storage or selling it?

Trmiv - wow. Did you tell them? That is way too low for inverts. They must top off with fresh water and all of the bagging they do when they sell livestock apparently removes too much saltwater. They should top off with saltwater with a medium salinity range to compensate for evaporation.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:02 AM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Doni

Trmiv - wow. Did you tell them? That is way too low for inverts. They must top off with fresh water and all of the bagging they do when they sell livestock apparently removes too much saltwater. They should top off with saltwater with a medium salinity range to compensate for evaporation.
Every SW animal I've bought from FW has come home with that range salinity (and pH around 7.5 too, after less than 30min in the bag). On the refractometer it's been 27 PPT where I keep my tanks at 35 PPT. Same experience with a few other LFS. Permanent hyposaline to keep disease down, maybe?

-Sonja
Old 08/18/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

I could understand a low salinity in the FO systems but not in the invert systems.
Old 08/18/2007, 08:12 AM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
I could understand a low salinity in the FO systems but not in the invert systems.
Yup. Turbo snails I got from there a few weeks ago, peppermint shrimp in the past, same deal. Dripping for hours gets old but to give them credit, all six snails are still alive *knock on wood*

-Sonja
Old 08/19/2007, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Doni,
Nope it all going to go. As you know plans for new house have 1 larger tank and maybe keep my 29frag going.

Probably will start parting it out in next few weeks.

Anyone interested in a nice GEO package? Going to lump my 6x12 Calcium Reactor, GEO Nielson Reactor and GEO media reactor into one deal with all pumps, tanks, controllers, media and etc.

Last edited by Phyxius; 08/19/2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08/20/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Mike - Ahhh.. are you keeping the 90 gal set up in storage or selling it?

I haven't been back there since I bought the crab. Yea, that is way too low for inverts. They were in the same type of tanks as their fish, so I have a feeling it's all on a common system. Luckily the emerald crab is still alive, but I had to acclimate it for 5 hours, which gets a bit old.
Old 08/20/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

A big THANK YOU to Kevin & crew at Down Under in Garner for a very fun time Saturday! The food/people/frags... everything was great!
Old 08/20/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyxius
Doni,
Nope it all going to go. As you know plans for new house have 1 larger tank and maybe keep my 29frag going.

Probably will start parting it out in next few weeks.

I understand the preparations... ouch!

Wow.. that stand and canopy are beautiful. It is almost worth down grading from my 120 to a 90 to get it
Old 08/20/2007, 06:51 PM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
A big THANK YOU to Kevin & crew at Down Under in Garner for a very fun time Saturday! The food/people/frags... everything was great!
ditto!! the highlight was getting a tank tour of Doni's gorgeous tank (THANKS FOR THE INVITE DONI!!) and getting a call that i won 2nd place in the raffle so i guess i have to go to the next swap to pick up my fish . Thanks Kevin and the staff for putting on one of the best swaps i have ever been to.
Old 08/21/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to say thanks to Down Under as well, I arrived late, but still managed to get some nice frags at a great price, it was my first time there, looking forward to the next frag swap.
Old 08/28/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

so, as i forgot about this site, im still needing to get rid of my LR... I still have 140 +/-. Need to get $300 for it, picked up of course.

This is super cheap rock, its mostly figi, some indo, some old coral, and a huge piece of marshall.
Old 09/04/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Hey all,
Where you guys go to get acrylic sheets around the Triangle? Preferrably close to Chapel Hill.
Old 09/04/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

It's my understanding that Piedmont Plastics is the only place to get stuff like that.
Old 09/04/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that there will be a frag trade at Aquacade, in Raleigh on Saturday the 22nd and one at Down Under, in Garner, on Saturday 10/20. I'm planning to be at both of these with tons of frags to trade. You can view my frags here:
http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...pic.php?t=2045

Hope to see everyone there. PM me if you want to do any trading.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I've posted this on NCfrag group but need to here also I guess. Moving and taking down 180 FOWLR and 120 reef. They have been up 2 and 3 yrs. Still have some nice pieces of rock in FO tank but waiting til more of the corals are gone in reef to get rid of that rock. Some of the top rock has stuff I can't get off so those might be good pieces($2lb plus a little extra for whats on there).
The FO tank has all mature medium size fish: Emporer, Annularis, Scooter Blenny, Miniatus Grouper, Yellow & Regal Tang, Niger and Humuhumu, Blue Spotted puffer(toby). Reef fish are spoken for. Would sell the whole tank and everything for $900 or do a group price on the fish. If anybody needs a 120 with nice oak canopy and half decent stand once its down $350. But I do need to get rid of these corals very soon or else they'll go in the FO tank I guess. I'm usually always available except these next few days, Thurs & Friday evening after 6 I'm free then most of the w/e and next week. I'm in Cary.
Old 09/06/2007, 02:17 PM
ostensibly normal

Does anyone here have any Duncans (Duncanopsammia axifuga)? I'd like to find a frag to add to my mostly LPS tank.
Old 09/10/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

To many Frags

Hi guys and gals,
Been a while since I posted here so I thought I'd say and post some pic's of my frag tank and the frags in it. Its a 20g long tank and a 10g it seems to be doing so good that now I'm doing another 20g/l and a 10g. Hope you enjoy the pic's and if you see anything you like give me a shout. Dave E

Old 09/10/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Dave- I like a few of your frags. Where do you live?
Old 09/10/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlwright
Hey Dave- I like a few of your frags. Where do you live?
I'm in greensboro