Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Tiny Snails

I have started to find Tiny white snails in my tank. not just around, but on my larger turbo snails. they look like little cork screws. i lost a huge snail last week with no idea why, and just today i saw a couple of those little snails on one of my large turbos. i have heard that there are some snails that eat/kill clams, but i have not heard anything about little snails eating other snails? any help would be great!! Thanks!!!!!
Old 12/13/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Tathrella snails or rice snail they are considered a pest and poke holes in the mantles of clams eventually killing them.I've found them on my snails and manually removed them with tweezers. they also lay alot of eggs like 2 to 3 egg masses a day containing opto 120eggs they hatch in 10 days.They feed mostly at night. A Halichoeres melanurus aparently feeds on them.
Personally this snail is my enemy and has caused problems,I no longer ponder even buying a clam anymore,witch they hitchhike on.Get them out Now!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I have a problem with these to, I've just been pulling them out. Besides Halichoeres Melanurus, does anything else eat them.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

The six-line wrasse Pseudocheilinus hexataenia,will feed on Tathrella also the four line wrasse has been found to eat them in the wild (J.C.Delbeek).The only problem is the snail mostly comes out at night and wrasses tend to go to bed at night so manual extraction should still be taken.
For the extraction,I pulled my snails one by one and tweezed each one and scaped the eggs out of the tank abously. Also every time I put a new snail or Clam,Oyster in the tank I inspect for the little snail and it's eggs.And I have found them on snails. I've even found them on Vermetid snail on LR
Old 12/15/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

is there anything that i can have in the tank that will eat the snails, but will not compete with a madnrain for food? i know that the 6-line will.