Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

stores in pc

where are the good stores in pc i will only be here on saturday
so need help fast
Old 12/29/2007, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

I don't think there are any good stores in PC. My In-laws live there and I've made it a point to track down all the stores I could. I'm over there once a month. I know I missed one, and its suppose to be the best one but I'd say every other one I was at was at best a Reef Scapes but actually more along the lines of Ivey's.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

huh?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

If he means Pensacola then Aquaria or Waterworld.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

not p-cola, panama city...... what about fort walton still will be going through there on the way back
Old 12/29/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

here is the one out at the beach in PC. I've never been to it but its suppose to be the best one in town, whatever that means. It wouldn't take much to be better than the other ones I've been to.

Suncoast Aquariums
(850) 230-1070
7117 Front Beach Rd, P C Beach, FL 32407
Old 12/29/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

thanks i saw that one in the phone book so will stop by and i will let you know ....what ever happened to posidens reef
Old 12/29/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I was there years ago. The guys sold it and i think it is now Suncoast Aquariums, I think. I could be completely wrong though. It was a good store years ago when I stopped by. Your best bet is to stick with Progressive.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

oh i know , got some things from rich the other night , just like to look when out of town never know might come across a good deal
Old 12/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I just remember that I did stop by suncoast and wasn't impressed with it either. Let me know if it looks any better. Its been probably a year since I've been there.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I need to make another trip over to see Rich. The one good thing for me about that trip is I work in Daphne so I'm already half way there, but man is the traffic horrible between 4-6 over that way.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

When I lived in Panama City I remember the best being Panhandle Pet Supply over near Lynn Haven off of HWY 77 near the mall.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

give him a call he has some stuff coming in next week i think .
Old 12/29/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11477961#post11477961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MantisBrad
When I lived in Panama City I remember the best being Panhandle Pet Supply over near Lynn Haven off of HWY 77 near the mall.
How long ago was that. Thats the part of town my in-laws live in and Panhandle had maybe 5 saltwater tanks with about 4 fish the last time I went and they were all filled with algae. It was real bad. Posidens was clearly the best one I've seen in PC.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Man this was probably.... 5-6 years ago. They used to have a 400 gallon SW tank and like 8 tanks with miscellaneous fish. It's a shame they have went down in quality..
Old 12/29/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I think we are talking about the same place. I know there are 2 panhandle pets in that area, or it seems like the same area, My wife drives when we go since I don't know where anything is. My father-in-law has 3 or 4 freshwater tanks and said one of the panhandle pets doesn't have any saltwater stuff so we didn't even stop by that one. I'm not sure which one is which but the one we went to looked in bad shape.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

well talked to a local that does saltwater and he said that the stores here suck .. fort walton or p-cola is the best place from here
Old 12/29/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

I have been to Suncoast. I wasn't impressed at all. There was dry goods just laying everywhere on the floor. You kinda have to make your own goat trail just to walk around.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

You guys might have liked my old store. 6500+ gallons, 2200 of them saltwater, and everything quarantined for 6 weeks before moving out to the for-sale tanks. 120 tanks, most of them 30 gallons or bigger, and at least 500 species on hand at any given time as a matter of store policy.
Sadly, I found out the hard way that people don't care about service, selection and quality anymore; all they want is a cheap price. I did have some loyal and happy customers coming from as far away as Montgomery and Dothan and even Marianna and Milton, but not enough of them.
I still rent the building after all these years, simply because it's cheaper than trying to find enough storage shed space for everything.

A brutal biz, the fishy biz. If you ever wondered why nobody ever seems to want to do it right, then now you know. It's just not worth it.
I spent half my time cleaning up my competitor's messes, but STILL the idiot customers went right back to him. They'd pester the heck out of me all day, asking me questions they knew whatshisface could never HOPE to be able to answer, and then they'd go buy from him to save a few cents. Then they'd come crying to me to fix whatever went wrong as a result, and then the process would repeat itself. Maddening.

Last edited by AnOldSalt; 12/30/2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

wow, man this is getting more depressing by the miniute
Old 12/30/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

So wait, oldsalt, you are renting a building full of fish tanks but you aren't using it for a fish store anymore? That really stinks man, society stinks because all it cares about is convenience now.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Almost.
The tanks are long gone, but the racks and shelves and vats and a bunch of old junk and drygoods are still there, waiting for me to do SOMETHING with them.
The building is in a fantastic location, on a high-traffic corner, and it's freakishly cheap at $150 for 1100 sq feet + it's own parking lot. I keep kidding myself, thinking that someday I'll get it going again, but the odds of that get slimmer each year.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

$150 a month?!?! Wow, that is extremely cheap! Where is it located? You should get it going again, that would rock!
Old 12/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

vats,racks,drygoods and shelves? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.