Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

we agree with you lance.....as long as it is fun, you can enjoy the hobby....

liz and alan
Old 12/15/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Its still going to be fun even if we do have some sort of structure. It will enable us to open up to many things...and maybe one day sponsoring some events.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/15/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Lance, Liz, and Alan, please come to the business meeting. We need differing views to help ensure that everything stays balanced. The original reason for a meeting was to have everypne vote on if they even want changes. If the majority of people at the meeting do not want some of the changes that have been suggested, then I don't see them happening right now. I too am concerned about keeping the club fun. I hope everyone will voice their opinion. These are suppose to be suggestions and opinions. I don't think anyone want to bully the others into something they don't want. Besides, the more of you that come the more motivated I am to finish building my stand. Now where were those doors...
Old 12/15/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

As far as I see there is really no need for the feeling and structure of meetings to change. And as far as status I would prefer to just leave Doc as our general spokesman(or prez if you prefer) as long as he is willing to be in that position. The single biggest reason for a small bit of organization is for our group to be recognized as an entity by others for the benefit of the membership as a whole. If the web site goes up and we can put a simplistic charter up with a membership list then that alone will give us something to direct businesses to when trying to negotiate group buys or any sort of bulk pricing we may be able to get. If we don't require dues(which I do not support) we can just ask for donations if and when money is needed for a group project and this will negate the need for any club treasurer. This, to me anyway, can be a very simple thing that can bring benefits to the group or it could be blown up into a whole lot more. I hope we can find a way to benefit and keep things simple. I think it will help us into the future and keep things fun for all.

Rich
Old 12/15/2007, 01:03 PM
Spine Straightener

I like Rich's ideas too. I see the website also as a means for folks who may want to form a little business of buying and reselling locally to do so. You can't do that on RC but you could on our own club website.

I'm in favor of simple, general, non restrictive club documentation. If you get a chance, take a look at the Mid-Coulmbia Saltwater Aquarium clubs site, http://mcsac.org/, and let me know what you think.

I also agree with Heather. I think that those of you who oppose organization should come th the business meeting too. I'd like a club that will benefit all, not just some.

One thing that I do like about a more formal club is that with club officers, there are several members to help out with organizing meetings and activities. If the perx isn't able
Old 12/15/2007, 01:06 PM
Spine Straightener

Ops, hit the wrong button. There is more than one person to run the show so to speak. In the past, the club has just sort of passed from one person as the spokesman to another. This way it can move from one group to another and actually allow more individuals to have a chance to lead (so to speak).
Old 12/15/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I checked out that site Doc. Some things look good, others not so sure about. They have their club set up a little stringent for my taste. I do agree that we should maybe have some more people that can act so that you as our "Spokesperson" aren't feeling like you have to head everything up, but I would like to see others fill in and take an active interest in heading things up. Maybe we can come up with a person to head up each project or group buy so that it does not always fall on one or the same people. I think a lot of the decisions could be made solely by an online poll.

One of the other things I would like to do is create some sort of flyer that we can post at some local stores to generate attention toward the club and maybe broker a deal with the local stores for a 5-10% discount for members. Won't be anything big but anything is a bonus. Maybe if nothing else we can talk them into a couple orders a year at cost just for the club membership.

I will always willing to give up some of my time for the club for whatever reason if I have it.

Rich
Old 12/15/2007, 03:10 PM
Spine Straightener

I think that you've got a great idea and I think that an organized local club might just be able to get a deal at some of the LFS's.

I threw out the link to Mid-Columbia as a starting point as far as Charter and Bi laws are concerned. As far as I'm concerned, we can cut them up and reassemble them any way the members want. If anyone has any others that they think would be easier to work with that would be great.

I would like to see some type of Charter and Bi laws that we can work from to develop something suitable for us. If we could come up with something we want to work from. It might make setting up an organization easier to do. If that's what we choose to do.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

I agree with you totally Doc, I too see their Bylaws a little stiff.

But they are mold-able.

Also we can get LFS stores to advertise on the club website, and in turn they pay a small fee for banner storage.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/15/2007, 04:06 PM
Spine Straightener

If any of you folks see bylaws that seem better of a charter or mission statement that you like please let me know. We do need a starting point.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Some of you are worried that a little more structure will lead to a loss of fun, but this is not the case. Aquarium societies exist mainly for the purpose of promoting fun and enjoyment with the hobby, after all.

Yes, the charters and bylaws you read do seem to be very stiff and stuffy, but they have to be. The members of the clubs with these charters aren't feeling oppressed by them. They're too busy enjoying the fun that these rules ensure.

If you want the benefits of being a club, then you have to be a real club. The informal arrangement currently enjoyed is nice, sure, but limiting. Right now we're just a bunch of like minded individuals hanging out together, and while that's fun, it doesn't get us any ability to effectively make big things happen.

How would you like to host MACNA someday? Okay, that's a bit extreme, but only a real club can do that. Want to have a fish show? It's a lot easier for a real club to do that than a random collection of people. Want to give a big public presentation in some public place to stir up interest in reefkeeping? Well, a club will have an easier time of making it happen.

B the way, fish stores aren't exactly going to be happy with the formation of a local club. Clubs are competition, and sources of information leading to other competitors. I don't know if you know this, but the fish biz is brutal, and most stores are barely hanging on much of the time. Don't expect them to be thrilled to buy adspace and webbanners, or to give discounts to club members. They will likely view any requests for such discounts as implied blackmailing. That won't stop them for complying, mind you, but you won't make any friends.
To get around this, the club has to offer the stores the only thing that a club can offer a store that the store would find useful--> the cultivation of new hobbyists. A loose pack of individuals can't do much to grow the hobby in an area, but a formal club CAN.

That leads to club dues. Nobody likes dues. However, if a club actually wishes to accomplish anything, it has to be able to pay for it. Having annual dues gives the club an idea each year of just how much money it will have to work with, and as such an idea of what it can do. It also allows for other long range planning based on more than a wild guess. Dues paying members also tend, I think we'll find, to be more active and committed members than those with nothing invested. You get what you pay for with dies. The bills are paid, the club functions, the club grows, and with more members, the club's clout grows as well. This leads to more great benefits like guest speakers and group tours and/or discounts otherwise unavailable, and with a reef club, more available FRAGS!

Okay, so now that money is involved, we'll need a structure of officers to make sure that money is safe and spent wisely. That's what the Board of Directors are for, and controlling them is what the charter does. It's not a big deal, honest, and it just makes everything work for US.

I don't think you guys have any reason to worry, and plenty of reasons to be excited!
Old 12/16/2007, 10:57 AM
Spine Straightener

Thanks Old Salt! This is exactly what some of us see. You've done a better job of expressing it than I was able and for that I thank you. I sincerely hope that you are able to make the January meeting. Get with Griff and you guys take turns driving.

Also, those of you who are opposed to organization or uncertain, please attend. I'd like to dispel any fears that you may have that organizing may be a bad thing. Your presence may be even more important to the formation of an official club that those who are in favor. Your input is valuable as part of the system of checks and balances to make sure that things don't start going the wrong way.

Old Salt is right too when he says that LFS won't be happy with the formation of the club. They won't! Why would you want an educated customer who is difficult to sell to as opposed to someone who knows nothing? Who do you think you could sell more to?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Trey has spoken a lot of points, I have been trying to hit. Great post Trey.

Old 12/26/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I know I'm a stranger to you all, so let me introduce myself. My nickname is "Scooter" (it's a long story) and I live just north of Pensacola. I'm fairly new to RC and to this portion of the site. I like the idea of other hobbyist in the area forming a legitimate group.

Personally, I'm more interested in frag swapping and learning tricks from those with more experience. I wouldn't be one to attend monthly/quarterly meetings and cast votes...etc, but I would be there seeking bargains. If establishing a formal group would provide me with better prices on goods and services, then I'd be glad to chip in a few dollars to make this happen.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:29 PM
Spine Straightener

Welcome scootman! As a general rule, our quarterly social gatherings (meetings) normally involve frag swaps. You're welcome to attend any/all/none of our meetings. The choice is up to you.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Scootman,

Welcome to Reef Central!

First meeting is in January 6th, which should be a Sunday and the meeting is a 2 o'clock at Heather's house...

Second meeting is on February 3rd, 2 o'clock at the Gulfarium on Okaloosa island.

There will be threads about directions and stuff to come!

Old 12/27/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I shouldn't have too much trouble with the Feb 3 meeting, but Jan 6 is looking mighty tricky. 2pm on Sunday is a tough time for me since I work at night and 2pm is the "middle of the night" for me. However, I'm trying to get my schedule changed. Even if I can't make it, I'll try to contribute whatever I can online.