Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2006, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

fireworms

I have a problem with fireworms in my 125. As I am transferring to the 180 I would like to keep as many as possible from makeing the move. I have tried various baited traps (nylons, inverted bottles) to no avail. Any suggestions?
Old 02/21/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

get a 6 line wrasse or pseudo chromis. I haven't even seen one in my 12 gallon after I put my 6 line in there. The only problem is he went carpet surfing & to that big ol toliet in the sky about 6 months ago but I haven't seen one in the longest time except at the LFS.

I am not sure if I like the store(probably because the prices are too high) but aqua imports has a very good looking splendid pseudochromi. Its the first time I've ever seen one but for $70, I'll hold off.

I'm sure feeding often will get the big worms attention w/ the pseudo and he'll do the rest
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 02/21/2006, 09:24 PM
XenMaster

If there are no corals attached to your rock, leave the rocks out overnight. I've done that in the past w/o any detrimental effects to the rock. It'll flush out the bristles, even some of the really big ones, like 7 inches and 1/2" wide.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 02/21/2006, 09:25 PM
XenMaster

BTW...Bristleworms are always more plentiful than meets the eye.. Break open a rock and you'll see how many are truly in your system.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/21/2006, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Yikes!! So here is my plan, six line wrasse (was already workin on that!) All rock without attached coral out for a night, off to the garbage disposal for anyone that crawls out, and hopefully that will readuce numbers.

Are you certain that leaveing the rock out for a night wont cause a spike in my tank??
Old 02/21/2006, 10:22 PM
XenMaster

Never has for me. But how cold are your nights? I should add that I was doing this during the summer when the nights were warmer. A 40 degree night time temp would kill off stuff. As an added precaution, maybe just do 1 to 2 rocks at a time or just leave them out for a few hours say 3-4, of course the longer the more worms will exit. The choice is yours. Get your toothpicks ready... BTW, even overnight, the worms are still very much alive, just sorta lethargic.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/21/2006, 10:25 PM
Got nothing

Are they true fireworms or just Bristleworms? I think there is a difference but a lot of people still call B.worms F. worms but I could be completely wrong, it has happened once this year so far.

I wouldn't worry about Bristleworms at all.
Brian
Old 02/21/2006, 10:29 PM
XenMaster

Aren't bristleworms called fireworms because the sting of their bristles feel like fire? Either way, you can touch them to make sure, I see anything red/purple with white bristles on the side, I'm sticking a toothpick or chopsticks to it.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/21/2006, 10:41 PM
Got nothing

I'm not sure about that but I never had any issue with bristleworms, they help keep the tank clean IMHO. It seems like I remember hearing about fireworms being different but it could be that just everybody screws them up but I am really not sure.

I think Arrowcrabs will also eat them if you are really dead set on killing them.
Old 02/21/2006, 10:54 PM
Got nothing

It seems like it goes in phases, first half of the year they are bad then everybody say they are ok. What am I missing? What is so bad about bristle worms? Not to sound like an arse but I would really like to know. Is this coming from the "I found a bristle worm eating my Tang" type of post? That might be better then the typical "hermit crabs killed my Tang" post. Hopefully you know where I am coming form.
Brian
Old 02/21/2006, 11:00 PM
XenMaster

As I've stated in another bristle/fireworm forum. They are beneficial being detrivores. They just sting you if you happen to touch them which makes them a nuisance. In all honesty, I do have them in my refugium, and I'll sit there and watch this bright red 3 incher working away in the sand. But when I see a 7incher, that's when I freak..as I'm sure alot of people will..lol. I'm only trying to give advice to someone who does want to get rid of them. I am not saying "kill them all"..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return