Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2004, 10:09 AM
yes it's my aquarium

miniature carpet anemone (macro pic)

This is the closest macro shot that I can get with my camera of Stichodactyla tapetum. This particular specimen is 1" in diameter and sitting on top of a maxijet powerhead. (Blue Linckia arm partially visible in foreground.)

Old 08/28/2004, 06:03 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Looking good!

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 08/28/2004, 10:25 PM
yes it's my aquarium

If you could only feel how sticky that anemone is, lebowski!
Old 08/29/2004, 01:22 PM
Moved On

Not to hijack or anything, but here is a pic of my mini carpets from a year or so ago. They were killed in the hurricane. Power outtage that lasted 2 weeks pretty much did the whole tank in. I am waiting for funds to buy some more or a trade to come through. I loved the coloration and the size. They are just great!

BTW, I do not remember who I got these from.
Old 08/29/2004, 02:22 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Kris- I thought you got them from me! I remember that pic. Your anemones were beautiful. Sorry to hear of the loss.
Old 08/29/2004, 03:02 PM
Moved On

Gary -

I might have gotten them from you. Its just been a long time and I can not remember. They were beautifull.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 08/31/2004, 04:26 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Kris- Sorry to hear you just got nailed with the remnants of yet another hurricane. I hope all is well.
Old 08/31/2004, 10:24 PM
Moved On

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately I lost power again for about 24 hours. I lost a blue tang and started to loose my clowns of 4 years and started to loose my carpet and rose. Luckily I packed them up in a cooler and went to a friends house. They are doing fine now, but I am sure they miss their home.

Sigh. Were suppose to get another hurricane again.. or at least a part of it. I don't think it will ever end. Then comes winter.

Oh well, well see how this next next one goes.

Thanks again.
Old 09/01/2004, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

How do you care for those anemones? Also how do they reproduce. Just kind of like mushrooms in a sense?
Old 09/01/2004, 02:55 PM
AEFW Assasinator

These anemones are very hardy. My one now has split five times since March of this year. I understand they do well under pc's. I have mine under mh and pc's as well.
Old 09/04/2004, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

are these the same ones as guy's? I was gonna buy a few, they look pretty cool.
Old 09/04/2004, 06:20 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Guy got his mini carpet anemones from me and I got my Tulips from Guy, so now both of us have mini carpet and Tulip anemones.
Old 09/04/2004, 10:31 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

I got some of the tulips and carpets from Gary. They are awsome.

Gary, How often do the carpets need fed? I have one that just wont eat. It's been 2-3 weeks since I got him. He is also trying to bury himself into the sand, but he's still on the rock. (If that makes any sence) Do I have anything to worry about?
Old 09/04/2004, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

I got both a mini carpet and tulips from guy, I love em both!

My mini carpet is ALWAYS ready to eat, I've had him for a couple weeks now, I can't wait till he starts to split

I'm about to start a 75g so I might have to buy a couple more to make sure all my tanks have a few Really are a neat thing to watch.
Old 09/04/2004, 10:54 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

What are you feeding them. My other two will eat just about any meaty type food. Same with the tulips.
Old 09/05/2004, 09:44 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by doody
I got some of the tulips and carpets from Gary. They are awsome.

Gary, How often do the carpets need fed? I have one that just wont eat. It's been 2-3 weeks since I got him. He is also trying to bury himself into the sand, but he's still on the rock. (If that makes any sence) Do I have anything to worry about?
Thanks for the shameless plug. I don't feed my mini carpets directly. I do "snowstorm" type feedings occasionally, and the mini carpets that are positioned in the right spot will catch food.
I wouldn't worry about the anemone that's burying itself. I'll bet it does just fine after it moves. There must be a reason it's hunkering down where it is.
Old 09/08/2004, 05:33 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

What so ya mean "snowstorm"
Old 09/08/2004, 08:23 PM
yes it's my aquarium

A snowstorm feeding is a random massive feeding of fine food particles intended to feed the whole reef aquarium- fishes, corals and anemones.
Old 09/09/2004, 08:06 AM
Hog Obsessed

I got 3 of them suckers from Gary and now I probably have over 100.
Old 09/09/2004, 09:45 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Baalz- Are the anemones in the same reef aquarium as your SPS corals and Regal Angelfish?
Old 09/10/2004, 07:08 AM
Hog Obsessed

Gary,
Yes they are.
I haven't seen the Angel touch them.
Old 10/30/2004, 05:25 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Anybody have fish that attack their mini carpet anemones? I have a large black Saddleback Clownfish that will eat stray 'floaters'.
Old 10/30/2004, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Thats a cool pic thanks for sharing
Old 11/18/2004, 10:28 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Thanks, prodman. I'm surprised to find a lot of people that have never heard of these anemones. They're perfect for nano tanks, BTW.
Old 11/18/2004, 10:33 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

nice, how big do they get???
he is sitting on PH??? no worried that he might get sucked in?