Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Inverts Do & Don'ts

My LFS has a $5 sale going on the following products. I wanted to run it by you guys before buying them. Please let me know what and how much should I buy for my 125 FOWLR tank.

PEPPERMINT SHRIMP ~ 2 for $5.00
ASTREA SNAILS (TURBOS) ~ 4 for $5.00
SALLYLIGHT FOOT CRABS ~ $5.00
PISTOL SHRIMP ~ $5.00
FLOWER ANEMONE ~ $5.00
EMERALD CRABS ~ $5.00
BULLDOZER LOBSTERS small ~ $5.00
FLAME SCALLOPS ~ $5.00
Old 12/21/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Everything on that list is fine as long as the fish you have won't eat the shrimp, etc. Also, don't get the flame scallops, they are VERY difficult to keep alive long term in captivity. They slowly starve to death and rarely last longer than 6 months.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Assuming that you don't have fish that eat inverts I'de say go with 2-3 peps, 10-20 snails (astreas are great glass/rock cleaners), 3 emeralds and leave it at that. Everything else there will die without specialty care and/or strong lighting (I'm assuming low lighting because it is a FOWLR). or will be harmful to your tank. You could go with a pistol if you want, but they are pretty secretive wihout a goby companion (and they won't always just pair up with any goby). Also, if you get inverts you can't use ich treatments like copper (deadly) and if you have used copper on the tank in the past they may die.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Copper will not harm inverts with exoskeletons (i.e. crustaceans). I had a fish only for years that also had crabs and shrimp and stuff and treated with copper all the time. No problem.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Is it worth getting the snails because I just re-established my tank about 2 months ago. I bought premium rock so it has TONS of good algeas on it. I have 3 peps in the tank right now.

I am not trying to solve any prolems with them but this is more for avoiding a new problem and mostly visual purposes. I like little creatures walking on sand and glass.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Snails won't harm your "good"algaes (I assume you are talking macro algaes that you like). They will just eat up debris and bad/microalgae that will be growing in your tank.