Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Now are clams best kept with their mouths facing up towards the light or on their side?
Old 10/19/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbtwo4
Now are clams best kept with their mouths facing up towards the light or on their side?
By "mouth" do you mean the mantle? Yes the mantle should be facing up towards the light. The clam may turn itself to get the most benefit from the light. But yes it should face up not be lying on its side
Old 10/19/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Oooooooooooooh ok mantle
Old 10/19/2007, 11:32 AM
clams are your friends.

Croceas are always found embedded in solid rock in nature, but they seem to be fine in the sand as long as there is a rock below that they can anchor to. Many people use cup shaped shells, as suggested, but i've seen everything from plastic cups to small terra cotta plant saucers used.

I think Maximas are often in rock, but not always, and Derasas and Gigas are often free living in sand to with loose attachments to buried objects.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:45 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Yes clams feed on the food given to them by ther Zooxanthellate. But when the clams a small , ther mantel is not big enuff for the Zooxanthell to sastain them a lone! Phytoplankton MUST be given the for them to live.

please read my previous post

------------------------------------------------
Old 10/19/2007, 01:00 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbtwo4
Boy do u guys have my attention on this one. Got a question however. Are clams better suited on the sandbed or on rocks?

in our aquariums it really doesnt matter if they are placed on the rocks or the sand as long as the lighting is strong enough to meet the clams needs.

now if your talking where you will find them in the wild, you will be surprised that all the tridacnid species are most commonly found up on the reef(rocks). some species can be found on the sand but thats not where they are most commonly found. somehow over the years this turned into "this clam is a sand clam and this one is a rock clam"

this thread talks about it some clam X prefers sand is bunk!

i wouldnt bother reading much past the first page because the thread get hijacked way of topic

Old 10/19/2007, 01:24 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MalHavoc
I have never heard or read any scientific paper that definitely proves that a clam benefits from being target fed, at any age. There seems to be substantial evidence that a clam will consume nitrate in the water, but that's through water passing through the coral in a passive manner, not through target feeding.

And let's be realistic - despite all of our advances in filtration technology, we're still woefully far away from having the sort of low nutrient levels found in sea water in nature.

clams have the ability to absorb nutrients right through there mantles using specialized structures called "pinocytosing microvillous epidermal cells"

Old 10/19/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Rbtwo4, yes trun off power heads first. Than use an eye droper. Than turn power back on 20 min later. malhavol weres canada? Is that the 51 st. state or somthing? crocea are found stuke in the rock work, most others are from the sand. taillonjohni you have some brown stuff on your nose! The master must of stoped short a gain! Yes Rbtw04 mantle up allways. tilly do you now the way up?
Old 10/19/2007, 08:11 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Rbtwo4, yes trun off power heads first. Than use an eye droper. Than turn power back on 20 min later. malhavol weres canada? Is that the 51 st. state or somthing? crocea are found stuke in the rock work, most others are from the sand. taillonjohni you have some brown stuff on your nose! The master must of stoped short a gain! Yes Rbtw04 mantle up allways. tilly do you now the way up?
I don't even know why I'm replying to a post that was so obviously written by someone who has never passed a grammar test in their whole life, but....

Quote:
malhavol weres canada? Is that the 51 st. state or somthing?
Canada's bigger, and we're on top, and our dollar is worth more. If this was prison, you'd be my *****.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 10/19/2007, 08:21 PM
Team RC Member

Old 10/19/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, mbbuna for putting some of these myths to rest. Though it seems some still want to argue with scientific study and documentation. Go figure.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Yes, we can either believe what one person swears is true, or actual documented research. . .I know my choice. Thanks for all the info by the way, mbbuna. It sounds like you've done your homework on the subject.

-Mike C.
Old 10/20/2007, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Mbbuna, I appreciate the scientific approach, that is the nice thing about rc, there is so much info

craig
GO LSU! #1
Old 10/20/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Canadas bigger canadas melting so fast in ten years it will be smaller than iceland! A nd your so called dollar, is realy called a LOONE, you would now that if you ever had one. If this was a prison? It is a prison! Thats y you have to PAY to go to the U.S.A.! crow my research is my clam in my tank! Seeing is beliveing!
Old 10/20/2007, 02:48 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
croceas need the highest light of all of them, look into a squamosa or derasa like MalHavoc suggested. I had a squamosa in my first 12 gal NC DX and it did great. I gave the whole setup to a friend when I moved about a year ago and he says it's still growing and looking good.
was that with the stock lighting? where was the clam placed?