Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

queston about my zoas help (pics)

ok one colony of my zoas have been acting wierd the last few days. there not all opening up there was a digitate hydroid on there rock i got rid of it the day i saw it but only some of them are opening up now and the rest havent opened for like 4 days now. today some more of them seem to be starting to open up. all my other zoas colonys are all opened and perfectly fine. what should i do give them time or should i FW dip? if FW dip how long? do you think they got stung by the digitate hydroid? do they look dead or anything?

heres how they were yesturday

and now today

--------------------------------------------
Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Others with more knowledge than I will have more to say, but dipping at this point seems excessive. How do your water parameters look? I had a calcium drop a few months back in my nano tank and my zoos didn't open up for a few days , then did great once I fixed the problem. And it took days for them to return to normal, almost a week, I think.
Old 12/17/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

my water parameters are:

ph 8.3
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10
calcium my test is out so i havent been adding any because i cant test for it.

i did do a wc yesturday witch i do every saturday. so doing that the salt might have added some calcium in. i uselly dose seachem reef calcium advantage but im afraid to dose it without testing the calcium. about a month ago there was one of thoes digitate hydroid and it was making them close but once i got rid of it they opened right up again.

Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 04:47 PM
got montipora?

for now i would move them to lower light. most the time zoos stay closed for a few hours after dips in freash water only, so by moving them to lower light you will see them open faster. how long have you had the zoos?

-jesse

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
Old 12/17/2006, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

i didnt fw dip them yet. i have had them for about 4 months and they have been growing really good.when i first got them there was only like 5 on the rock and now theres like 15-20

Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 05:20 PM
got montipora?

do a FW dip, sometimes there is somthing on the rock or living in the near by rock that is bothering them. dip them and move to the sand bed. make sure you check the dip water after your done for anything bad.

-jesse

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
Old 12/17/2006, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

there is a small bristle worm or 2 in there rock but i havent noticed it bug them before. how long should i fw dip?

Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 05:43 PM
got montipora?

i do them for 15-20min and shake them alot before placing back in the tank. when you do you will see alot more then the two worms.

-jesse

-Aristotle
Old 12/17/2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

do you think the bristle worms are whats bothering them and will the bristle worms die from the fw dip? also do i just get the water to temp and the ph the same as the tank?

Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 05:53 PM
got montipora?

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm1978
do you think the bristle worms are whats bothering them and will the bristle worms die from the fw dip? also do i just get the water to temp and the ph the same as the tank?
no the worms are fine and if you can get them off before you dip thats great. other then that everything on there but the zoos will die. and yes you need the match the temp and pH.

-jesse

-Aristotle
Old 12/17/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

ok i dipped them did it for 15 mins and i shook them a few time for 1 minute each time then i shook them again before i put them back in the tank. all that came out was some pods and one bristle worm but i didnt get the whole worm out. if there is anything like more worms in the rock that did die and that didnt come out of the rock is it gonna cause any problems in my tank?

Steven
Old 12/17/2006, 07:41 PM
got montipora?

no problems, make sure you put them back in low light and give them some time to recover.

-jesse

-Aristotle
Old 12/17/2006, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

i put them on the sand some of them are starting to open up allready. should they be in the shade or is on the sand ok? should i run just my actincs for the rest of the photoperiod tonight?

Steven

Last edited by sjm1978; 12/17/2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12/17/2006, 09:19 PM
got montipora?

just put them on the sand, being that far from the light alone is good. just run you lights like normal.

-jesse

-Aristotle
Old 12/18/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

ok the zoos still havent opened up are they goners or what?

Steven
Old 12/18/2006, 07:56 PM
got montipora?

no, give them time. if they are goners you will see a difference in the way they look closed up( i.e. almost transparent and rotten looking). if they start to die off, bring them to me and ill hold it for you and try to stop it. plus i will give you a few nice healty zoo frags for your troubles.

-jesse

-Aristotle
Old 12/18/2006, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

ok they still look the same but there closed. they dont look dead or anything.

this is from yesturday and they are still the same today

Steven
Old 12/19/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about them until theystart to actually show signs of decay. these are animals we are dealing with and they have off days too. I notice that sometimes for reasons of their own mine just close up for a few days. Usually mine go through some great growth after these "events" so I don't know if it is a "getting-ready-to-multiply" thing or what. JMO

Ed C
Old 01/18/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

How did they turn out? Mine are doing the same thing. Great looking red/orange for a year and now all closed and shrinking everyday.

Let me know.

A reef just isn't for the ocean anymore.