Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 10:41 PM
Reefin'

Show your Leng Sy Monti Cap

Ichthyophobia - fear of fish
Old 08/13/2007, 11:52 PM
The FM UL Sys. guy

That's an amazing coral! What's the scientific name for that?

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 08/14/2007, 09:50 AM
TANK RAIDER!

N ice coral . Can u trace it?
many look a like's out there
Old 08/14/2007, 09:53 AM
clownfish fan

i love my look alike.
Old 08/14/2007, 04:53 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
i love my look alike.
LOL never said it wasn't a pretty coral LOL
Old 08/14/2007, 05:02 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
N ice coral . Can u trace it?
many look a like's out there
Theres also a whole lot of legitimate ones that people like to call look-alikes.

This coral was distributed a lot more than people think, and wasnt tracked all that well, because honestly, its pretty common.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:10 PM
Reefin'

Yeah, i just contacted Surfn, the guy i got it from. He says it can be traced back to leng sy as much as 5 years ago.......enough talk bout lineage and lets see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08/14/2007, 06:53 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Old 08/14/2007, 09:23 PM
Reefin'

very nice!

Old 08/14/2007, 09:45 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

just b/c someone shows a pic of their leng sy cap, and it doesn't have those huge nodules of vertical growth....doesn't mean it isn't the lengsy cap. those large nodules that form have allot to do with tank conditions (light and water flow) and the size of the frag/colony.

mine came from a colony that had some huge vertical nodules, and i've yet to see mine have that same kind of growth after 2 years.

however, with that said, the surface is much rougher with lots of smaller nodules, than say your ordinary smooth surface scrolling cap. mine doesn't have a perfect scrolling growth formation either...but that could be due to flow conditions.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 08/15/2007, 01:17 AM
Pappone Nerd

Here's some old photos of mine:

Old 08/15/2007, 02:56 AM
You Load 16Tons...

i still think it's odd and funny that a few years ago when one online shop said they had frags of it, pretty much *every* shop had frags of it listed within a few weeks. last i've read from tyree (who worked for leng back then) was that, what people are calling the true leng sy is not, but it's the closest he's seen so it's good enough (to make money off of). i still don't sit well with the story that paletta found a purple-rimmed cap in his frag tank that he had no idea where it came from so it must have come from leng.

from all the pics and descriptions from people who saw the real thing in leng's tank back in the day, i'd say the 2" wide purple rim is more distinctive than a few bumps. i have *never* seen the wide purple rim in any pics posted of the 'real' ones people have nowadays. all the pics i see now are rather ho-hum, not even as nice as some 'regular' purple rimmed caps i've seen.

anyone who wasn't around when *the* pic was published as part of the 'ecosystem method' seascope article ~10 years ago can't really understand how cool the real leng sy cap really is and what it means. it's more about the history and how it rocked the reefing world than about what it looks like compared to other caps. kinda like stuber's acro (which *is* everywhere).

Quote:
This coral was distributed a lot more than people think, and wasnt tracked all that well, because honestly, its pretty common.
no. leng was one of those collectors who wanted his tank to be special by *not* spreading around his corals. so he didn't sell or trade anything that he considered special. and it bit him in the *** when he killed everything with a set of new bulbs one time.
Old 08/15/2007, 05:32 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by manderx
i still think it's odd and funny that a few years ago when one online shop said they had frags of it, pretty much *every* shop had frags of it listed within a few weeks. last i've read from tyree (who worked for leng back then) was that, what people are calling the true leng sy is not, but it's the closest he's seen so it's good enough (to make money off of). i still don't sit well with the story that paletta found a purple-rimmed cap in his frag tank that he had no idea where it came from so it must have come from leng.

from all the pics and descriptions from people who saw the real thing in leng's tank back in the day, i'd say the 2" wide purple rim is more distinctive than a few bumps. i have *never* seen the wide purple rim in any pics posted of the 'real' ones people have nowadays. all the pics i see now are rather ho-hum, not even as nice as some 'regular' purple rimmed caps i've seen.

anyone who wasn't around when *the* pic was published as part of the 'ecosystem method' seascope article ~10 years ago can't really understand how cool the real leng sy cap really is and what it means. it's more about the history and how it rocked the reefing world than about what it looks like compared to other caps. kinda like stuber's acro (which *is* everywhere).

no. leng was one of those collectors who wanted his tank to be special by *not* spreading around his corals. so he didn't sell or trade anything that he considered special. and it bit him in the *** when he killed everything with a set of new bulbs one time.
very cool thx 4 sharing.
Thsi pic represents that cap correct?
[/IMG]
Old 08/15/2007, 06:57 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:

I was with Paletta and Tom Frakes when we visited Leng's old shop in 1998 during Macna 10 and I can vouch that Leng did, in fact, give Mike a few Frags of the cap that day. (Mike's getting up there in age maybe his memory is slipping? ) Leng had two giant tanks at the time, not sure of the exact size but the one was like a 5 foot cube or so...huge. I remember he had the infamous cap, plus orange caps, growing all over he tanks, probably 40 or 50 places where a piece had broken off and he had wedged it into a rock somewhere else. I also remember that the tank had some large Angels and Tangs in it. He was also culturing some different Xenia's in one of his first Eco system tanks and had some leather corals that had like 2 inch polyp extension.
Anyhow, not all of the caps had the huge Purple rim (which was only about 1 inch, not 2), mostly the colonies that were closer to the top of the tank. I do seem to remember that the polyps were white, though. It's been a long time so I could be wrong on that. Also, not all the pieces in Lengs tank had the noduling growth, either, which supports surfnvb7's theory. Here's a crappy picture of mine from about 54 or 5 years ago
I got a small frag of it from Mike back then and still have the colony. This thing has morphed quite a bit over the years, going through different tnaks, lighting, moves, etc. Not a great shot, but most definitely the original. As you can see, the polyps have turned a light green over the years. I will say, this is one coral that is hard to capture digitally for an amateur photographer.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/15/2007, 07:25 AM
TANK RAIDER!

nice critter stoner.
I have a lil-piece, mine came from Ralp at TCN(I have to ask him) but most likely the same coral that he obtained via trade.

[/IMG]
Old 08/15/2007, 07:42 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Thanks! I have one of Rafael's also. His looks to be the same coral, but since he grows his stuff under VHO's, the colors were deeper, IMO. It's amazing what he does with VHO's. I have one of his Lokani's that is just awesome!
Old 08/15/2007, 09:03 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner
Thanks! I have one of Rafael's also. His looks to be the same coral, but since he grows his stuff under VHO's, the colors were deeper, IMO. It's amazing what he does with VHO's. I have one of his Lokani's that is just awesome!
Rafael's corals are under vho's and the corals are just amazing .
makes me wonder if we should all consider the vho era again LOL

One of my good friends has a cap(that takes up about 10x10) that's just unreal. Leng sy 2.

U mean this LOKANI,(this pic is a few months back-since then the critter has branhed out and looking sweet) just unreal corals and the nicest most profesional guy u could ever meet. He still hangs around RC once in a while aka" fraGguy". i've had the oportunity to meet tons of 'reefer's" but in my mind he's one of the very best at what he does plus his personality and profesionalism equals none.

[/IMG]
Old 08/15/2007, 10:22 AM
clownfish fan

that lokani is awsome.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

this isn't a true leng sy (at least that i know of) but i like showing these pics of mine whenever this debate comes up - it's a big ocean after all

Old 08/15/2007, 12:17 PM
Nothing to put here

I got a piece of the leng sy from a local club member for $20. Seems to grow pretty quick. The pic is a little too saturated or overexposed, you cant see the purple rim that well (has it in person however).

Old 08/15/2007, 01:03 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:

I know leng didnt distribute it to too many people, but a couple of people he distributed it to, distributed quite a bit of it. It grows extremely quick. Its a cap for godsakes.
Old 08/15/2007, 01:54 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
very cool thx 4 sharing.
Thsi pic represents that cap correct?
[/IMG]
gota love that picture! too bad its so grainy.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 08/15/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I have two in red and green.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:02 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
gota love that picture! too bad its so grainy.
Yeah, and that the sand is blue, so we know white balance is way off.
Old 08/15/2007, 05:15 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Tried to fix the pic. Not much better.