Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Golden puffer with Dogface puffer?

Hey everyone...well I currently have a 100gal with a 4" dogface, Harlequin Tusk and a few damsels...

I came across this golden puffer at saltwaterfish.com and am SO close to pulling the trigger on him:
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

I wondered if these puffers would get along. I think they should and having an 8" golden join the smaller fish would keep the fish that have been around longer from being overly aggressive towards him.

I'm well aware of the bioload we are talking about. I will be moving to a 220gallon eventually. I have a great skimmer and do 25 gallon waterchanges every other week.

I'm just wondering if you think the dogface and the golden would get along? Is this a possible fit? He's kinda spendy but they call him a "show" fish and he's very good looking.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

its not even in stock, and i dont think they would get along, its always risky
Old 11/30/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Oh well then someone bought him today! Probably someone saw this thread and clicked the link, liked it and bought it. LOL

It's ok, I'm not sure I want to try another puffer in the tank anyway.

Sluggo the dogface is chillin though, he doesn't bother anyone...all he cares about is me and the shrimp I feed him.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

You would be better off with a porcupine to go with your dogface I think. Thats usually a pretty safe combo. Especially for a 100G.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:41 PM
Art and science

my guinea fowl puffer dose not get along with any type of puffer
Old 12/01/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Absint Reefer
my guinea fowl puffer dose not get along with any type of puffer
Yeah it really depends on the puffer. Guinea Fowl's are usually considered decent tankmates with other puffers but yours is a perfect example that is not always the case. My S&S never got along with any other puffer either and again, they are usually considered to be fine with other puffers. I have found that as they age, they seem to get more aggressive towards other puffers too.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

My old S&S didn't really care when I tried to add a small dogface...it was kind of cute when the dogface mimicked him like a big bro. When the S&S sat on a rock watching me, the dogface would sit on the rock next to him, etc. Very funny

Then one day when feeding the dogface was crowding him too close and WHAM one good bite to the belly. Huge size difference freaked me out. He didn't pierce skin but left a big circle mark.

I took the little dogface back to the LFS pronto before he got cut in half.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snausy
My old S&S didn't really care when I tried to add a small dogface...it was kind of cute when the dogface mimicked him like a big bro. When the S&S sat on a rock watching me, the dogface would sit on the rock next to him, etc. Very funny

Then one day when feeding the dogface was crowding him too close and WHAM one good bite to the belly. Huge size difference freaked me out. He didn't pierce skin but left a big circle mark.

I took the little dogface back to the LFS pronto before he got cut in half.
Yeah its really hard to break through a puffers skin. My smaller puffer has been bitten pretty badly on his stomach by the bigger one but it also did not break the skin. He has a huge mark though where it happened.