Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Sue how much sugar did you add to your mix?. How large are your cubes that your feeding?. I have this algae also but I figure it's from the aa's and I just clean a little more, the growth is good so a lil algae does'nt bother me. lol.
Old 04/13/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon. This batch was made for me and I do know that is what was used. The cubes are the square and not rectangluar trays. Sorry I don't know the exact cube size...
Old 04/13/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

bogg, do you have a dsb or any sand at all? It seems like most people that have a dsb get some nuisance algaes and a little bit of cyano when they feed the pappone. Near the start of this thread it is metioned that this system works best with barebottom tanks. It is also mentioned that the berliner method should be used with the Blue Coral method to achieve the best results. However they did say it can be done with a dsb. Personally, I think no matter what system you run with the Blue Coral method you have to have strong protein skimming. A good protein skimmer is needed to pull out all of the left over pappone when the corals are done feeding on it. This way you won't have any pappone to fuel algae and cyano growth.
Hope this helps!
Old 04/13/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Can someone point me to the starting page with info about this blue coral method? Thanks.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:14 PM

Can you guys get off the papone for a while and post some pics of Italy's Best Matured SPS Aquariums???

I would love to see more of those!
Old 04/13/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

this pretty much turned into the pappone thread..................but lets see some pix

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 04/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 10" Red Devil
Can someone point me to the starting page with info about this blue coral method? Thanks.
Here is a recent thread that should basically tell you everything you would want to know about the Blue Coral method.

Click Here
Old 04/14/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

error...sorry
Old 04/14/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you guys get off the papone for a while and post some pics of Italy's Best Matured SPS Aquariums???

I would love to see more of those!
The photos that you see as old tank do not use pappone....and not use HGH.
Old 04/14/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
these photos.....
Old 04/25/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Okay, I finally finish all 44 pages for this thread. I have a few questions as to how you raise your Mg levels so high. And for a smaller tank about 30g, could raising Mg level without a reactor possible?
Old 04/26/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Did the italians run out of tanks? All this for about 10 great tanks? More tanks dangit
Old 04/26/2007, 05:27 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eagleONE
Okay, I finally finish all 44 pages for this thread. I have a few questions as to how you raise your Mg levels so high. And for a smaller tank about 30g, could raising Mg level without a reactor possible?
You could use any Mg supplement - I like B-Ionic Magnesium for my 30g.
Old 04/27/2007, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

I cant seem to find the original italian recipe. Does anyone know where I can find the original recipe incl the HGH and amounts to be used. I dont seem to get a guideline on amount of pappone to be used in any specific sized tank??
Old 06/28/2007, 07:49 AM
Professional Hen Teaser

“Pappone” Recipe – Italian Coral Food (Updated 1/14/2007)

Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all—you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AA’s, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don’t have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don’t forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank).
Old 07/05/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

The tanks look great!
-Chuck
Old 08/11/2007, 10:38 PM
Genius

How are the majority of these Italian tanks providing circulation?
Most of them I couldn't tell. The ones I could tell were using Tunze streams and waveboxes.

Can I assume closed loops aren't as popular over there?
Old 08/12/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

In Italy closed loops are not populars. the majority are streams systems. Hydor, Tunze, Seio (Marea in Italy)and the new Vortech pumps.
Old 08/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Genius

Thanks for the reply Ocean Drive.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:19 PM
Moved On

this was said by SIR and translated a while back before the split page 8 i believe about HGH and how it affects sps. "These findings are also backed up by one of our biologists, Giuseppe Vollono who has explained this to us. At the time in which the frozen cube is prepared, a fundamental phenomenal process occurs. The protein under examination BREAKS which increases the abundance of a particular amino acids in the water. This increases the metabolism and calcification of the coral. Therefore GH does not affect fish. "
if this is true then why can't we buy this broken HGH here in america?
Old 09/27/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

wow!! very impressive tanks, i now have the sudden urge to start a bigger system.
Old 09/27/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by szeth13
this was said by SIR and translated a while back before the split page 8 i believe about HGH and how it affects sps. "These findings are also backed up by one of our biologists, Giuseppe Vollono who has explained this to us. At the time in which the frozen cube is prepared, a fundamental phenomenal process occurs. The protein under examination BREAKS which increases the abundance of a particular amino acids in the water. This increases the metabolism and calcification of the coral. Therefore GH does not affect fish. "
if this is true then why can't we buy this broken HGH here in america?
H=human G=grouth H=hormone is illegal in the states
Old 09/27/2007, 08:09 PM
Moved On

i kno but it was said to break down into amino acids when frozen. i dont see how this would work but its what is said to be proven by a biologists by the name of Giuseppe Vollono. if its not the same after it freezes, why can't they sell the changed, frozen stuff here in the states? saying that it is actually altered
Old 10/02/2007, 12:29 PM
Pappone Nerd

I'm pretty sure that it breaks down in the water column being that there are bacteria all over the place, not to mention that most hormones aren't stable at temperature for very long. I've read that somatropin needs to be stored at 36-44F (2-8C) and that freezing is not recommended. All the storage info says that doses only last about 4 weeks at this temperature too.

The bottom line is that it is a polypeptide and polypeptides are linked amino acids. That is all that it provides to the system.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

what i am getting at is if a company froze it in italy or where ever they chose to where it is legal, why couldn't they ship it to the states legaly