Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2007, 06:12 PM
Pappone Nerd

bureau: yeah Haren is pretty sick in a good way, I think you'll get to see him in interleague against the Cards this weekend or so. But as for the pappone, depending on if you use the red palmata algae or not, it will either be brown/tan or green if you dont use the red algae.

Maeda: Oh, do you know the species on that? I've been looking for a nice gorg and I always figured they were completely non-photosynthetic. It is neat seeing everything else in the tank eating the food--not just the SPS. That was the intent of the food in the first place, hoping that it supports biodiversity. Interesting to hear about the AA's though. A lot of the problems people talk about seem to stem from that and finding a happy medium where algae or cyano doesn't take over.

I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty happy that I used old hikari cube trays since it is so easy to pop out the pappone cubes from there.
Old 08/10/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

is there anymore followup?
Old 08/10/2007, 02:05 PM
Pappone Nerd

Haven't heard much from other people, but I took some photos about a month ago, and I'll try to get the camera and do some more this weekend. If you want to see my photos, click on the red house above my post, they're on the last page I believe.

I've increased my dosing since I got my deltec skimmer though. I'm up to about a cube every 3 days or so. I actually fed two cubes last night since I wanted to target feed the LPS (they seem to like it when they get larger chunks this way). My chromis and clowns eat almost half of it, even with the lights off, so I figured more would be good.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

hey guys i cant find fresh mussels. is it ok i use froshen for mussels? can i use those black shell mussels underneath the bridge(pier) near oceanshore. you think those mussels are clean enough? thats the freshest i can think of.
Old 08/12/2007, 03:28 PM
Pappone Nerd

I dunno rick, it really depends where you live because if you wouldn't eat those mussels yourself, then it probably shouldn't go into the tank. They're probably absorbing all the junk coming out of boat motors near the pier so likely not a good idea.

Where do you live though? If you're able to get other fresh seafood then you should be able to get mussels.
Old 08/12/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

almost every grocery store gets mussells.... check with the seafood department. They may be frozen but at least they would be human grade.
Old 08/13/2007, 12:51 AM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by osprey77
almost every grocery store gets mussells.... check with the seafood department. They may be frozen but at least they would be human grade.
Yeah but you need to keep an eye out since a lot of places will put in preservatives (I know Safeway does this here), which can contain phosphates.
Old 08/18/2007, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

i just feeded it tonight for the first time. i used the method 5 each seafood,red algae aa...etc...should i turn off my steam pumps after the feeding?? also i have a refuge light on doing night time.. should i turn that off too? dont know just wondering.. and also i think i my water is kinda bit high for nitrate and amonia. havnt have a chance to test it out yet but i was planning to have a water change tommorrow. is that a good idea?? some info will help alot thanks..
Old 08/18/2007, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

oh yea.. every seafood is fresh from the market...
Old 08/20/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 08/20/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

rick if your tank is high with nutrients I dont know if this would be a good idea for you
Old 08/21/2007, 11:13 AM
Moved On

This sounds great...however, I would like to see before and after photos of specific corals. The hardest part about anything like this is, it is the most subjective matter possible. Everyone has their own thoughts on what good color is, dark or light, rich or pastel. So it is just so hard to call this a success due to no photo graphs...I have stuck with halides, because all T-5 tanks I have seen, seem to have washed out color, now if you ask those t-5 people, they have awesome color. This is not a debate thread, just simply giving an example.

So people who have noticed a major shift in color difference could possibly have not so brilliant colors, but they do not know because they have not seen alot of other tanks that have brilliant colors. This is just a hypothetical here, so please no one take offense. But with out any sort of picture this can just not be justifiable...

This goes for anything, people claim there growth is better with X product, but offer no source of proof as to what is better...now if people were to measure 10 corals for 6 months and then added product X and the growth rate increases to more MM monthly then we are onto to something...

I would just really like to see specific before and after photos of multiple people's corals over a decent period of time...
Old 08/23/2007, 02:58 AM
Registered Member

how do you post pics here?
Old 08/23/2007, 01:48 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by rickkott13
i just feeded it tonight for the first time. i used the method 5 each seafood,red algae aa...etc...should i turn off my steam pumps after the feeding?? also i have a refuge light on doing night time.. should i turn that off too? dont know just wondering.. and also i think i my water is kinda bit high for nitrate and amonia. havnt have a chance to test it out yet but i was planning to have a water change tommorrow. is that a good idea?? some info will help alot thanks..
Yeah rick your tank shouldn't have any ammonia readings whatsoever, that is not good. I would not try this method unless your tank is already stable because you will only run into problems.

Tell us about your tank (size, skimmer type , lighting, flow, etc.).

crazedreefer: go run a search and look at my tank thread as well. The reason main people are using this here is to up nutrient levels in tanks where colors are washed out, as well as supplement growth in others. My LPS have benefited the most as I have said many times, but my SPS growth has been taking off as well since I started a few months back.
Old 08/23/2007, 02:46 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by rickkott13
how do you post pics here?
First you need to host the picture somewhere (Photobucket, etc.) Then right click picture and go to properties and copy the address there. Next go to reply, click the img tag and paste the address into the image tag, make the rest of the post and submit reply. HTH

Here's an old pic of my tank (making sure I'm right since it has been a while since I posted a pic)

Old 08/25/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DarkXerox
[B]Yeah rick your tank shouldn't have any ammonia readings whatsoever, that is not good. I would not try this method unless your tank is already stable because you will only run into problems.

Tell us about your tank (size, skimmer type , lighting, flow, etc.).

I have a 100gallon BB main tank.. 40gal sump. i have 3 250watt mh. 2 is from sunlightSupply optix3. They both currently running on AB 10K.( I might need to replace 1). and the other is NOVA II running on Gies 12.5k bulb. I have 2 skimmers. ASM G2 is inside my sump and the G4 is inside my DSBB.20''wx38''L about 8in of sand inside.The G4 wont fit inside my sump.(not sure if this is a good idea if i had a skimmer inside my DSBB)any advise will me very helpfully...=) also i have 1 tunze 6080 and 1 hydor K4 and 2 return pump quiet 1 4000 and one viaAqua from my chillers. also i have a refug with chato and mud.. i might need to take out the mud soon... my tank readings CA 430ppm,ALK is about 8.. not sure.. i will test it soon... my whole tank PH reading is 8.4.. i need get a nitrate and ammonia test kit soon.

After 2x feeding pappone. Cyano appears more... =(.. i have 2 RTN corals.not really sure if is RTN cuz those coral never looked healthy. the rest is doing fine like before. Not really sure if the pappone is working but i do get colors back on some corals.. and growth was faster than before.. I dont know if i should continue this method.. Now my fish is not happy... haha they only get to eat onces every 3 days.. =(... anyway.. ANY ADVISE WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
Old 08/25/2007, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

pics pics

full tank shot

The bad stuff

bad smell on G2

DSBB. i still need to finish the cover...i'm so lazy

thanks alot for helping me out for posting pics here.. =)
Old 08/25/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

DSBB. still need to finish the cover.. i'm so lazy
Old 08/25/2007, 02:43 AM
Registered Member

firsts things first if you have ammonia and nitratae your tanks not ready for SPS forget and I mean "FORGET" about Pappone. Pappone is meant for established tanks that are nutrient free,

"PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ME BEING MEANAT ALL" .

You need to do at least 10% WC on your tank every week FOREVER. Get good test kits. Lamottes CAL/ALK/NITRATE are alot better then salifert. Phosphate get a Hanna. As for Ammonia and Nitrite Instantoceans test kits are fine. The alage you seem to have is red slime alage. One of the main reason for red slime alage is low flow. I have 4 tunze 6100's in mt 120g which is overkill my return pump is a red dragin 8.2 at 2200 gph. But you should have more flow. DO NOT USE PAPONEE untill you get your nutrinte (AMMONIA?NITITE to 0" When that happens you need to get your Phosphates to at least .04 on a Hanna testkit. And then you will see great results at this point. ,And at this point you will then use Pappone and see great results. now this is just JMHO and how I have seen great results
Old 08/25/2007, 04:10 PM
Pappone Nerd

yeah, Tanya is right, many other people have had problems since they have no clue what their nutrient levels are before they start feeding or overfeed.

How much did you feed? For your size tank you really should start with only half a cube (1 cubic cm or so) just to make sure nothing happens. Thats why I stressed that point in the instructions. A lot of people think they have heavy skimming then find out after this just how borderline they were!
Old 08/25/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

i put the slush in ince cubes 20ml each.. onces it freezes i cut it to 4 cubes about 5ml each feeding.. I do change water everyweek. about 15 gallons. hmm.. maybe i do need more steams.. i notices theres alot of dead spot in my tank.. Thankyou Tanya for helping me out on testkit brand. i'll try to get it this week. Cuz i really needed one. And also i needed a Skimmer. Nonmoded ASM kinda sucks.. =)
)
Old 08/25/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

No problem good luck with everything. Just please get your tank in-line before you try Pappone
Old 08/29/2007, 03:32 PM
Pappone Nerd

Yeah the recurring thing I hear from the italians is have a powerful skimmer if you are going to try this. All the critters in my tank eat up any extra that in my tank (I use 2 cubes each feeding twice a week since I've slowly ramped up to this with a skimmer rated for 90gal + on my 29g).
Old 08/30/2007, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Hi guys

I wonder if you think I am ready to try this method

58 gallon BB with rubbermaid stock tank sump and a H&S recirc skimmer, filter sock, GFO and carbon in phosban reactors

Parameters: Temp 79.0, pH 8.0 - 8.1, Ca 380 (trying to increase slowly), Alk 9.6, NO3 5-10, Phos undetectable by Merck

Also I read the thread but now I can't remember some of the details

Just dissolve the cube in SW and then add to tank after lights out

Also - when they say remove the skimmer cup - what do people do who have an external recirc skimmer - just dial down the bubble level with the riser tube adjustment?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08/31/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

My tank is still going strong... although the growth has been slowed.
I think I'm still battling water quality issues.

Nothing's detectable of course, but I just have that feeling that the growth could be faster.