Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Baby Ocellaris Clowns Available ... PreOrder For Delivery At Swap

Hi everyone ...

The clown fry that I brought to the last club meeting have now grown up and are ready to find new homes! As I'm already delivering some to a couple folks at the swap, I thought I'd offer the same to anyone else who will be in attendance Saturday.

The ~ 6 month old clowns (ocellaris) are now between 7/8" and 1 1/4" total length (tip of nose to tip of tail) with nice vibrant coloring. They are eating anything they can get their mouths around, which includes all types of flakes and pellets (in appropriate size pieces) plus smaller or shaved frozen foods. They are very social and prefer being in pairs or small family groups. I cannot guarantee that they will immediately host in anemones as I don't have any in the tank at this time, but I have had good reports back from folks that have purchased them in the past.

Pricing is $15 each, with a price break of 2 for $25 or 6+ for $10 each. As they are still small by most folks' standards they make very nice schools or family groups without taking up lots of space, which is entertaining to observe and replicates their natural situation in the wild.

If you're interested in getting any, please shoot me a PM today (Thursday) or tomorrow (Friday) so I can plan packing accordingly. I'll put these in XL bags late Saturday AM so they should be fine through early Saturday evening as long as you keep their temps reasonably constant.

Thanks, Robin
Old 08/09/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

do you ahve any misbars? (with cool patters)
Old 08/09/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

There may be a couple misbars in there, I'll have to look. I'm sure there's nothing like a snowflake though, since that was selectively bred over multiple generations. As for a picasso type patterns, these are rarely found and only in perculas (unless a picasso parent is being bred like ORA is doing now).
Old 08/09/2007, 04:39 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Hey Robin,
Would you have the "Teardrop" ocellaris? I think they're the misbarred ones that have the bars end in teardrops rather than connecting.
Old 08/09/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Art,

To tell you the truth I hadn't looked for that morph ... are the bars just terminated partway down or are they actually wider at the bottom than the top (thus creating a "teardrop" pattern)?

Robin
Old 08/09/2007, 06:02 PM
Resident physicist.

Speaking of Robin... Do you happen to know the life expectancy of newly hatched tomato clowns? It's going on 5 nights now and I still see them darting in and out of holes in the rocks at night. I have no desire, nor equipment to try to raise them proper (especially after your talk *laugh*) but I'm just curious as to how long these little guys can survive.
Old 08/09/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Mike, I'm surprised that they have lasted that long since they typically have only a couple days of nutritional battery before they succumb. I've never seen them last more than a day in an established tank though, since there are far too many predators and they aren't at all good at being evasive (they stay in the water column and do not seek out "hiding" spots until they go through metamorphosis at around 5-7 days). Is it possible that you are seeing possum shrimp instead? They are the same size as the fry but are seen typically at night (especially if using a flashlight) ...
Old 08/09/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I think I'm interested in two.

I was wondering if the oscellaris will nest in common anemones (or even corals) or if they are rather selective?

I'll confirm with you regarding the fish by Friday evening.

Thanks!
Tom
Old 08/09/2007, 07:11 PM
Resident physicist.

Robin: Yeah that's what I recall from your talk is that they are not hiders... I don't know if they are the shrimp like you suggest, I see mysis swimming around (in other parts) they're more clear, but these guys have definite silvery eyes (highly reflective) and have a definite orange tinge to their body.. who knows maybe it's a mysis that ate a clown fry so took on the orange color

Of course it could be that they haven't lasted this long and that there have just been separating/hatching over the past 5 nights so it's new ones I'm seeing, but the moving in and out of rock holes is definitely viewed...

I'll see what I can do about taking a picture tonight, no promises though.. trying to photograph very small object, that moves relatively fast, with low light conditions... NO PROBLEM!
Old 08/09/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Hi Robin,

Is the Bar swap going to be held in San Francisco? If it is, I will be interested in purchasing 6 or more. I'm not registered with bar, but I won't mind picking this up since my wife likes clownfish. =)
Interested in getting the cool patterns as well.
Old 08/09/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

BAR Swap is in Hayward
Old 08/09/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Art / Nanoclown ... just took a look and didn't see any to speak of that are misbars. There may be one or two in the mix, but I didn't see any for sure.

Mike, the fry will definitely not be orange at this age nor be mobile / aware enough to be swimming in and out of holes. For the first week or so they are silver and float in the water column, darting around a bit on occasion to get food. If I remember correctly, tomato fry will turn black first after metamorphosis and then settle out to the bottom before getting the red color at a couple weeks of age.

Earthboy ... in the past I've good luck with these clowns hosting, but the last group I sold has yet to settle out. In all fairness I cannot guarantee they will host immediately as the results have varied recently.

Jellygee ... if you won't be at the swap, no worries ... just PM me and we can set a time / place to meet. Sorry about no patterns, but at this size they are really cute.

Thanks, all ... Robin
Old 08/09/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I appreciate it.

I'll take 2 at the swap for sure, and then another 3 or 4 a week or two from now (getting a new tank (established) on Sunday). I live in Walnut Creek/Concord, so if you don't mind, I can pick that second group up from you in Lafayette.

But 2 for sure on Saturday.

Thanks
Old 08/09/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Also, I have no idea how you tell the gender of the fish, but is it possible to get a male and female? (does incest exist in fish?)

thanks
Tom
Old 08/10/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

Tom, all the fish at this point are juvenile males. The dominant one in the group will turn female within a month to 6 weeks, the #2 fish will become mature male, and the balance will remain technically remain as non-mature males.

How big is the tank that you are setting up? These guys are really small in terms of body mass, and you may be better adding them all at once (either this weekend or later if you prefer).

Robin
Old 08/10/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

robin i was looking through your gallery, when do you think you will have marketable onyx percs again?
Old 08/10/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

In my office I have an established 55g tank with lots of LR, LS, and a refugium. I have two damsels, 3 shrimp, xenia, frogspawn, 2 sets of zoas, and a mushroom.

On Sunday I'm receiving a 7year old tank that is about 40 gallons (36x13x18(?)). It has some LR, some LS, and a damsel, a clown (don't know what type), and a large brittle star. This will be the first SW tank to go into my apartment, and my wife likes the idea of a bunch of clown fish. From what I've read, they do well in groups, especially while young.

Do you have any comments about the second tank I'm getting on Sunday? Any suggestions? I'm open.
Old 08/10/2007, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

I'd like to know about the onyx as well
Old 08/10/2007, 10:36 AM
Fragaholic

I think Robins clowns are extremely high quality and I'm sitting here admiring my pair right now. Getting local, t/r, quality clowns is so worthwhile, I'd urge anyone even considering false percs to jump on this offer.
Old 08/10/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Jim, thanks for the props and while I'm admittedly biased, you are probably going to get "better" fish in the long run if you purchase locally raised fish where you know their lineage and quality of care. Some CB fish do have a higher incidence of genetic deformaties and occasionally less intense coloration, but these usually come from the large producers that pump out high volumes of fish. Most, if not all, of the experienced smaller breeders will tend to have brighter, healthier fish since they use better foods and the fish are not so crowded during growout. In the end though, the best thing to do is see the fish and growing conditions for yourself, and choose what you like the best.

As for onyx ... I really, really, really want my pairs to get going (the black ocellaris pairs too) btu they seem stubborn abotu not complying. As soon as I get some nests though, you'll know what the celebratory fireworks over the Oakland hills are for!!! From that point it'll be about 7-8 months to reach market size (~1") although I would work with those who might like to try riasing the babies once they get past metamorphosis and are on prepared foods.

Tom, before getting more fish, I'd get the new tank settled in and decide how you'd like to arrange the biotope. The tanks you describe would be fine as a clown family centered theme, but I'd get rid of the damsels, other clown, and brittle star (can be predatory). We can chat via PM if you'd like more info ...
Old 08/10/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Okay, thank you for the advice. I'll think about it and get back to you. I like the idea of a large brittle star, but I admit I do not know a ton about them. In the meantime don't worry about holding the other 3-4. If they sell before then, that's fine.

But I'll still take the 2 tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08/10/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Tom ... got it ... will pack up 2 for you tomorrow.
Old 08/10/2007, 02:10 PM
Pappone Nerd

Hey Robin, are these from the same "litter" that mine came from? Mine are doing great by the way and are about a week away from going into the 90G. They're little pigs too! The largest is almost 1 1/2" now and is pretty bossy--I can tell who is going to be the female haha.
Old 08/10/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Robin, the two b/w clowns you got from me are not mating? I saw them cleaned the rock once but no eggs.
Not sure if it relate or not but my mated pair percula didnt give me any eggs for over 6 months when they were in the tank without RBTA. They mated two weeks after I put them back in tank that has RBTA.
Old 08/10/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Thomas, I can't remember for sure ... yours may have come from the "litter" before this one.

Phong, they are in their own private penthouse with 2 very nice and fluffy BTA which they seem to enjoy tremendously. I've got a nice tile in there as well, but they haven't seemed too interested yet. I may try to do a little bit of minor redecorating along with a diet change to see if that puts them in the mood.