Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

What to do

I have $500 to spend on my tank. Now I am going to invest into either a better skimmer or a vortech or tunze pump. Now I have 2 koralia 4's and a 870 gph quite one return pump.
Now my current skimmer is a coralife super skimer 125.
Now should I invest in more flow
with a vortech or tunze setup
or
Get a EX-2 skimmer.
I think I need more flow because I still get some algae on my sand.
I whant my tank to have a dramatic change with either of these products. I am leaning more towards getting the skimmer and just buying another koralia 4
Old 11/16/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

tank is a 72 bow by the way
Old 11/16/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

what do you plan on keeping in the tank, coral and fish wise? Personally I'd get a better skimmer. Have you looked at other skimmers? Not saying DAS are bad but you could get just as good a skimmer and pay about 100 less so you could have more money for pumps. I'm a fan of these skimmers so I'll throw it out to you

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...products_id=74
Old 11/16/2007, 09:42 AM
One Good Friend

Yea, the octo would work fine as well. As for the current. I wouldn't waste money on a vortec or tunze's. I'd get a maxijet 1200 and use the G2 mod from www.tritonaquatics.com and only spend around 50bux after shipping for a very quiet 2500gph pump. You could even get rid of one koralia and sell it if you wanted.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

2500??? dang, I'd like to see that. I got one that was supposed to be 1600 and didnt really feel like it. That is another option tho and very cheap too.