Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2006, 11:45 AM
Team RC Member

Here's some:

http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/i...f346dd507498d0
Old 10/16/2006, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

silly question but are Aqua Blue Plus and Blue Plus the same?
Old 10/16/2006, 12:18 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

No.

Premium Aquatics might have them too if the Geek is out.
Old 10/16/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Is there a cheaper alternative to mounting the tek light system? I can't use the cables to hang the fixture, i need a tank mount, but they are $50+. that seems a little high, and was wondering if anyone knew of a place where i could get something that would work for a lot cheaper.
Old 10/16/2006, 12:24 PM
Eisenhosen

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
That should be fine.

If you have room I would go for 2 660 ballasts and run 5 T5's and a 5 ft VHO actinic. You can run T5's and VHO's on the same IC ballast. I'd go 1 GE, 1 Geisemann Midday, 1 ATI Aquablue and the 2 ATI Blue Plus and the VHO Actinic. Pay attention to the brands. In the 54 watt T5's the ATI has better output, I assume 80 watt lamps are the same.

Like Hahn said if you go for the 5 T5's only and want a brighter look swap out one of the aquablues but I would use the Geisemann Midday so you would have that and a GE daylight instead of 2 of one or the other.
Thanks for the response Grim. I have read much of your advice to others as well and just want to express my appreciation to you for the time you take in helping others understand some of the lighting questions.

Thank you.

And also thanks to hahnmeister as well.

Click my red house for my 125 gal. tank build thread.
Old 10/16/2006, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I friend of mine make some brackets with acrylic and some heat bending. He used my teklight brackets to build from. Turned out pretty damn good. I'll ask him for some pictures.
Old 10/16/2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyReefMan
U niversity of
S poiled
C hildren

oh yeah, thats true..

pepperdine as well....
Old 10/17/2006, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

I have asked you before Grim but I have come across an IC 660 and now I am going to set my tank up with four T5s in stead of three. What bulbs should I get? Do you think I will still be able to keep zoas and mushrooms on the lower half of the tank? It is a 58 gal so I will be getting the 39 watt bulbs and of coarse the reflectors. Thanks in advance. You really are a big help to a lot of people.
Old 10/17/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraxr
1. Blue plus
2. UVL Super Actinics
3. 6500k
4. Aquablue
5. 6500k
6. Aquablue
7. UVL Super Actinics
8. Blue plus

Thanks Grim!
I was wondering if could could replace the Aquablue's with Aquablue Plus'? Is there a huge/significant difference in the two? The reason i'm asking is that Reefgeek is out of the Aquablues. But they still have the Aquablue Plus'. One difference i notice is that the Aquablue's are 12k and the Aquablue Plus' are 11k.

Lastly, the Blue Plus' are out too. Can I subsitute the Blue Plus' with either the Antinic Plus or Pure Antinics? Would these bulbs be too blue compared to the Blue Plus'?

thanks.

Last edited by ultraxr; 10/17/2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10/17/2006, 01:13 PM

The Aquablues are pretty close, either will be fine. You could grab a UVL actinic white in place of one of the Aquablues too.
The Actinic Plus doesn't have the output of a blue plus but the look is about the same so that will be fine.
Old 10/17/2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somethinfishier
I have asked you before Grim but I have come across an IC 660 and now I am going to set my tank up with four T5s in stead of three. What bulbs should I get? Do you think I will still be able to keep zoas and mushrooms on the lower half of the tank? It is a 58 gal so I will be getting the 39 watt bulbs and of coarse the reflectors. Thanks in advance. You really are a big help to a lot of people.
It will be better if you can place the shrooms where they arent directly under the lights but I don't think you will be hitting them with too much.
Old 10/17/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

i've been following this thread as much as i can but having a real tough time deciding what fixture is better for me. either the aquactinics 5 bulb or the 8 bulb tek. it is goin over a 120. 48x24x24. tank is just for sps and zoos and clams. my main concern is that i will lose par without a fan in the tek fixture. is the aquactinics just as good as the tek 8 bulb (without fan) for par ratings?
Old 10/17/2006, 02:42 PM

Grab the 6 lamp Aquactinics Solar Flare and don't look back. W're talking 6 overdriven T5's with Ice Cap reflectors.
Old 10/17/2006, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

I wish i could get those solar flares but they are like double the price of the other 2. would you choose the 8 bulb tek or the regular aquactinics 5 bulb fixture?
Old 10/17/2006, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

I was looking in Dr. Foster & Smith's catalog and was unsure about their
T-5 selection. I'm looking for supplementation to 10,000K MHs. What blue spectrum bulbs would be the best for making the fluorescent colors of the various corals come out?

It doesn't say who produces the bulbs but list one as "Ocean Blue T-5(HO)" Actinic blue. It also has another bulb listed as Actinic SlimPaq 420nm and another listed as Actinic SlimPaq 460nm . Does anyone know the main differences between these 3 bulbs?
Old 10/17/2006, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by somethinfishier
I have a 65g 24" tall tank and have been running T5's for the last 2 plus years without any problems. Just becareful where you place the softies and lps. My setup is 660 powering 2 aquablue and 2 blue plus. 1 triad powering 1 aquablue. 1 triad powering 1 superactinic vho.
Old 10/17/2006, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I thought that www.diyreef.com had a pretty good selection for the t5's. here is a link for their t5ho lamps

http://diyreef.com/shop/index.php?cP...92dc3cd99166bd
Old 10/17/2006, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

anyone ever use these bulbs:b Aqua Medic T5 Ocean Blue Actinic ? Any good?
Old 10/17/2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by golfbomber
I wish i could get those solar flares but they are like double the price of the other 2. would you choose the 8 bulb tek or the regular aquactinics 5 bulb fixture?
I would probably go with the Aquactinics. Better reflectors and fans plus the unit is designed to sit right on the tank. I honestly think it will have better output.
Old 10/17/2006, 07:30 PM
Frag from Mr ROWA himself

I just got some new bulbs so heres everything i have.
2 giesemann aquablues
2 giesemann actinic+
2uvl super actinic
1ge 65k

My old configuration is
Back
1. Aquablue
2. Actinic+
3. Aquablue
4. Actinic+
Front

I have a 4x54 retro, what bulbs would you use? I keep sps and lps mostly. Mostly sps. I have been getting really good growth but colors seem to drop off. Would you suggest a 3k bulb instead of something there? Thanks!
Old 10/17/2006, 07:35 PM

Front
Actinic Plus
Super Actinic
GE
Aquablue
Old 10/17/2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

Quote:
Originally posted by golfbomber
you could get a Solar Flare with no ballasts and run normal t5ho ballasts. they are less money that way, but you will have to get the ballasts separately and wiore them up yourself.

or only OD a few of the bulbs by using only 1 660 (4 bulbs) or 430 (2 bulbs overdriven), and that way you can save a few dollars over the all overdriven t5ho's on the solar flare.

I am not a huge fan of the all overdriven t5ho's anyway....
Old 10/17/2006, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

what do you guys recommend as actinic supplimentation for 6500k bulbs? the actinic plus or pure?
Old 10/17/2006, 09:03 PM

1 Actinic Plus or Blue Plus and a UVL Super Actinic,
Old 10/17/2006, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

ok i was leaning toward the aquactinics, but just didnt want any buyers remorse. what bulbs would you recommend off there website? i am looking for a more of a blue look but for higher par for my sps. or should i get the bulbs elsewhere? thanks for your advice.