Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 12/28/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down Hair Algae

I recently went on vacation for 4 days and had a neighbor watch my system. I came home to a huge growth in hair algae! I already had two or three small patches and had planned on investing in a sea hare prior to the bloom. My parameters are:
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Ammonia - 0
pH - 8.3
Ca - 460
Alk - 9 dkh
Mg - 1250
Phosphates - .01
SG - 1.024
Temp -74-78

All of my bulbs are less than 3 months old. I am running two 175 watt 14K MH, and two super blue VHO's...it's an old hood, but produces awesome color. I am running phosban media, carbon, and skimming pretty wet. I am doing 10% changes monthly. I am still planning on getting the sea hare, but am open to recommendations for my next step.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

10% monthly is not a large enough water change IMHO. I change 30-60 gallons a month in my 125.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

So you think it is due to insufficient water changes?
Old 12/28/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Whats used for flow?
Whats the water source?
Old 12/29/2007, 02:10 PM
Zoanthid collector

I would say 10% is fine, but needs to be done weekly, unless you are overstocked, overfeeding. If you are not using RO/DI, that could also be a problem.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I am going to assume this is a very young tank, right? If it is, this is a normal stage in the tanks young life. Nitrates and PO will test very low because the HA is consuming them. When you do your WC's try and get as much of the HA out. Keep this up for a few weeks and you see yourself getting the upper hand. I used to place a filter sock, with a 1/2 flex tubing, in the sump and try to suck as much of the HA in between WC's.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:36 PM
Zoanthid collector

Lettuce nudis & sea hares will help comsume some
Old 12/31/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

This tank has been running since September, but some livestock was transferred from a smaller tank. I have one Koralia 4 and my return pump is 800gph with a SCWD return unit. I am using Tropic Marin salt with RO/DI. I am mixing my water in a rubbermaid trash can that has never seen anything but water and salt. I let it circulate and aerate for 24 hours to stabilize pH before doing my change. I have seen that a lot of people have different light settings. I am running my 175watt 14k's for 8 hours...is this to much light? I work a lot of hours, so I like to be able to enjoy the tank after work. I am sure most can relate. Should I cut down my MH time? The current timer is 12-8. I do plan of using a sea hare as soon as possible.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I appreciate all the advice.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I don't think your lights are too long. I run mine for 8-9 hrs a day. The lights turn on at 2 and off at 10. HA is one of things that strike when the mood is right. Just remember when the sea hare runs out of HA it will starve, just make sure you can pass it along to another reefer that needs it. Also, if your house is tightly closed up for the winter, you may have some more CO2 in the tank, which will also feed the HA. I don't think is the case for you because your PH is 8.3 Do you dose anything to the tank or just water changes?
Old 01/01/2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Some thoughts. I am assuming this is the 75g tank? A yellow or kole tang would help tremendously. Are you running a phosphate filter? If not it's a worthwhile investment. You can throw some macroalgae into your sump, put a fluorescent fixture on it, and call it a refugium.

Dan
Old 01/01/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Foxy....Just a quick thought and I don't want to start a wetting match..but having "0" nitrates is just hard to believe, know don't get your skirt in an up roar..I'm not calling you a liar, I would never do that, I just cann't grasp ZERO trates, so I would like to see the results of a water test using a low range test kit like a LaMotte then if you get ZERO I want to learn something more on your setup. Just a thought !!!
Old 01/01/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydog64
Foxy....Just a quick thought and I don't want to start a wetting match..but having "0" nitrates is just hard to believe, know don't get your skirt in an up roar..I'm not calling you a liar, I would never do that, I just cann't grasp ZERO trates, so I would like to see the results of a water test using a low range test kit like a LaMotte then if you get ZERO I want to learn something more on your setup. Just a thought !!!
A lot of people post 0 nitrates as their testing result. Even more so on phosphates. Most of us know that nitrates & phosphates cannot be 0, except for someone new. Also, nitrates are not going to cause that much of an issue in a FOWLR tank anyway. IT'S PHOSPHATES that need to be addressed more IMHO. He needs to remove his phosphates with a fuge & some Phosar or ROWA in a reactor, and measure using a low range phosphate kit such as dd merk, hach, colormeter, or elos.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes, this is a 75 gallon. I have a yellow tang, and he looks really healthy to me(I am just the FNG though). I try to have a few people look at my test results when testing. My nitrate card could be between 0 and 10, it is so hard to distinguish the yellow colors...so I very much could be wrong. My phosphates are the same way. I am using the salifert PO4 test, and I know others use that brand and the color is so hard to determine for me, especailly around 0 to .03. I have even stopped telling the people that I ask to help me determine the test results, because I think they are giving their answer based off of mine. I am using a reactor now and have been for about 3 months with phosban media. The media is less than 1 month old. I am dosing "Two Part Solution" but that is it as far as supplements. Should I take a sample of my water to a PRO? If anyone knows him, I am not to far away from Jeff Knight aka "The Reef Chief" in Virginia Beach, Va.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Also, I am using a 29 gallon fuge with baffled skim, fuge and return sections. I have grape, tea cup and feather caulerpa with a softball size peice of chaeto...wanted to throw that in there.

Thanks guys
Bryan
Old 01/03/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

if temperature fluctuates a lot that can cause weird algae growth. but yeah if phospates are your issue, you can always section off a part of your sump, throw some chado in there and put a light over it.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

I am running fluorescent lights constantly in my fuge. My growth is crazy in there. I just recently took out a gallon ziplock full of caulerpa and will have to do it again in about a week.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

You need to manually remove as much of the existing HA as possible now. Then introduce some snails and crabs. Then step up the water changes.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Hi Bryan

After further review...your next step...as your tank has been up on running only 3 mos....and you turned it over to friend for 4 days, there's a good chance that maybe out of love, the tank got feed just a little to much, and as your bulbs are only 3 months all really is all right, so set back and go slow as it seems you have and are doing all the right things. At 3 months the tank is still settling in so set back and enjoy it.

Dick
Old 01/04/2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks...I am trying to calm down, but this bloom is killing me. I have managed to get some really nice pieces of SPS from a friend's tank, and I can't stand seeing the HA getting close to these pieces. Thanks for all the help with this topic. I am still very much learning...DAILY. You have all been great. Look for me in 6-12 months and I am sure we will be fragging up some sweet pieces and posting them.

Bryan
Old 01/04/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem when I first set up a 90 Gallon. 5 Emerald crabs resolved the issue in the matter of hours.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rgun2515
I had the same problem when I first set up a 90 Gallon. 5 Emerald crabs resolved the issue in the matter of hours.
Rg-Great idea on the e.Crabs...have not heard of that one..THX and be looking for some self.

THX agian
Dick