Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/31/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Tank looks great perry. I cut the brace on my 37 I had because of the same shadow casting on yours. I went to faois and got a thick piece of acrylic, cut it down to size with a dremel, then drilled holes and used plastic screws to hold it down. It made a huge improvement on the lighting and it only took 15 min!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:45 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

nice acrylic job i have a concern though, your tank looks like it is not level? is it jus tmy eyes or what? seems liek the water level is lower towards teh front of the tank? either way nicely done
Old 12/31/2007, 04:01 AM
Premium Member

erickrm,
the tank is actually level, it is indirect flow pushing the water forward in that specific area does give the impression that the tank is not level. Good eye man......
Old 12/31/2007, 08:09 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

lol i was like oh nooo... trust me i get paranoid wheni see stuff like that. LOL when i came home from IRAQ i was so anxious to setup my tank i put it up added water and completely forgot to level it! haha middle of the nite i am having dreams of water falls.... i am sure you can guess what happened next I am def loving the tank though once again great rock work, and flow selection!!! i am actually redoing my water flow from 1 tunze 6055 with controller and return pump(gives me about 72X turn over rate...) to an Oceansmotions SuperSquirt with a Snapper pump will have to move some of my equipment around but should be worth it!! i cant wait. If you'd like to see my Nano SPS tank just let me know Keep us all posted with your tank!
Old 12/31/2007, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erickrm
lol i was like oh nooo... trust me i get paranoid wheni see stuff like that. LOL when i came home from IRAQ i was so anxious to setup my tank i put it up added water and completely forgot to level it! haha middle of the nite i am having dreams of water falls.... i am sure you can guess what happened next I am def loving the tank though once again great rock work, and flow selection!!! i am actually redoing my water flow from 1 tunze 6055 with controller and return pump(gives me about 72X turn over rate...) to an Oceansmotions SuperSquirt with a Snapper pump will have to move some of my equipment around but should be worth it!! i cant wait. If you'd like to see my Nano SPS tank just let me know Keep us all posted with your tank!
Yes,
I would love to see your nano, post some pics on my thread.... Sounds like an awesome setup, I look forward to checking that out.... Good luck, and keep me posted.....
Old 01/01/2008, 09:29 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

here is a not so recent pic... there is a little less in the tank, the tunzes are no longer there and there is a new skimmer hanging off the back of my tank(mce600 ) hopefully by next week i will have my Closed Loop all done, Oceans motions Super Squirt being run by a Little Giant 3mdqx pump(1100GPH) should be enough water flow atleast until the sps really start to grow out I will post new pics as soon as i get the closed loop setup enjoy

Old 01/02/2008, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

That is one sweet tank erickrm!!!
Nicely done, I really like the reef structure and coral layout. Very well thought out, Great stuff bro.....
Old 01/02/2008, 10:39 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

Thanks I will post new pics when I plumb the closed loop
Old 01/05/2008, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Here are some progress pics, and some major changes in the tank. I have been bb for awhile, so I decided to mix it up, yet once again, and add a 1/2 white and 1/2 black sand bed to the tank. I have decided to keep it shallow, less than 2". I have been using 2 modded tunze 6025's, which were literally blowing water off the sides of the tank. So, I decided to drill a hole,(diameter of a pencil) in each blade of the impellar. I didn't know what to expect, but needed alot less flow. Surprizingly, this added a more random flow, I am guessing between 650-750 gph. Very well spread out and fluctuating currents. This is a much nicer calmer flow throught the tank, with plenty of random flow to all areas of the tank. I have also re-scaped yet again, to add more area to mount sps corals. I will be adding a green cap w/ purple rim to the exposed shelf on the right side of the reef. This should just about do it, maybe some additional zoos. I now have 2 green reef chromis, 2 perc's, and 1 coris green wrasse. Anyway, here is the work in progress...... Thanks for looking....

Old 01/05/2008, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

I am really digging this $50 score from the lfs. Not sure of the species, any help would be appreciated.... Thanks for looking.........

Old 01/05/2008, 12:46 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by plyle02
I am really digging this $50 score from the lfs. Not sure of the species, any help would be appreciated.... Thanks for looking.........

The price is about right.
U may have one of 3 things in your hands.Wait till it colors up since it look alil browned out still.
Loripes
granulosa
perhaps a maricultured lokani- then u really lucked out. Good job.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Nice gas... you and danfrith hit the nail on the head. Looks like it's a Lokani. It is mounted on a 1/2 dome plug that I have previous maricultured sps mounted on. I will consider this one a pretty decent score. Thanks for the help
Old 01/09/2008, 10:14 PM
TANK RAIDER!

plyle here's a quick pic as promised.
[/IMG]
Old 01/09/2008, 10:22 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

NICE TANK!!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Thats sweet gas....
BTW....
Scaped again, just can't find the setup I am looking for....

That is gonna be a sweet nano!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:26 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Thats sweet gas....
BTW....
Scaped again, just can't find the setup I am looking for....

That is gonna be a sweet nano!
21x21x21 will c.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

nice tank love the aquascape
Old 01/10/2008, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Here is a quick pic taken today, I acquired a nice tabling acropora with purple tips. This is my final scheme. I will be adding a chiller, and also have decided on the Iwasaki 14k 250 watt bulb, which will be here tomorrow. I am happy now with the layout, and am looking forward to future grow out. Thanks for looking....

Old 01/10/2008, 09:12 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Thank you everyone, I am obviously very excited about this tank, and appreciate the feedback and comments.

Chris and Mike, thanks again..... Hope all is well in Tampa! Mike, have you added any corals to the 390?
Chris, I am sure your tank is still stunning as usual!
So far...25 SPS frags and 3 small Zoanthid colonies.

Your setup is looking great. I like that tabling acro.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflamb
So far...25 SPS frags and 3 small Zoanthid colonies.

Your setup is looking great. I like that tabling acro.
Thanks Mike....
Here is the tabling acro underneath the Iwasaki 14k bulb I just got in today, wow, this bulb rocks! The previous bulb was a standard coralvue 20k bulb, a bit too blue for me. This gives a nice blue tint, but brings out the natural colors..... Thanks again!

Old 01/11/2008, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Nice tank...!!! jsut read through all the pages...

I wanted to bring something up... this may not be a concern here, but I know when using co2 tanks for my homebrew kegs you cant keep them on there side... the co2 is liquid in the tank and will flow into your regulator if you keep them on there side... maybe you;ve had success keeping yours this way, but I still thought I should mention it...