Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2007, 10:21 PM
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by RichT
Good Luck guys (and gals of course)!! Glade to see your going for it. Hope to see you all at NJRC's FRAG SWAP on October 27th with the good news of your official formation. I'll bet I can talk Phyl into a shout out for you guys.

BTW, not sure if you got this name suggestion or not. How bout Southern Philadelphia Area Reef Club or South PARC. j/k Good Luck!
Rich always a pleasure!
I also am glad to see things moving down thisaway. I recall 'bout two years ago and the happenings around NJRC. A truly awesome result came of the early troubles. Yooz have a club model after a relatively short period of time. Go NJ MACNA!

South PARC is actually one of the names in the running Oh My Gosh!
Old 10/02/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

I gotta pay my dues!

Just a reminder for me!
Old 10/02/2007, 05:59 AM
Take your time...........

Dues payment sent. I think I remeber reading it was $20.00. I sent $25.00 to cover the fee's. Hope this new club takes off. If the club would like to get shirts made I have a good connection for having logos and stuff put on tee's, sweats and whatever else you can think of.

BILL
Old 10/02/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone know a time yet. I have a surpise 30th that day as well. I just need to know how much trouble I'll be in when I tell my wife I'm going to a fish meeting instead of her families birthday party.
Old 10/02/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

I also need the pay pal info to pay the dues. Aquanut can you pm me the info? thanks
Old 10/02/2007, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Paypal is phillyburbsreefclub@gmail.com...

As for a time, I'll work with Madge to figure that out but I'm guessing the same time as our initial mtg, 1p(I'll try to talk Madge into food/drinks starting at 12p )
Old 10/02/2007, 08:10 AM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Stixbaraca
hehehe...Terry has a problem with me I guess!!!
I do?

you are another parking lot pal so I don't think so
Old 10/02/2007, 08:20 AM
Reef Pimp

:-)
Old 10/02/2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Well, I was surely wrong when I thought there were no fees charged for paypal transactions from a bank account/balance versus a credit card. This is true for personal accounts but not business accounts. I opened a business account because personal accounts are only allowed to receive 12 payments a year via credit card.

Going forward, please be kind and include the paypal fee (2.9%+ .30). To round the number out, if you submit a payment of $21, the club will get $20.09 versus a payment of $20 which results in $19.12 to the club. I know it's semantics but I'm detail oriented

I'll reach out to PayPal and see if there is any exceptions for non-profit organizations...
Old 10/02/2007, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Why are you guys collecting dues already? There hasn't even been a meeting to determine what people want from the club. Shouldn't that wait until we get more public input and have a better idea of what the club will be?
Old 10/02/2007, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Here is an updated list of club names(I removed all Tri-state names):

- Philadelphia Burbs Reef Club (PBRC)
- Delaware Valley Reef Club (DVRC)
- Marine Aquarium Society of Delaware Valley (MASDV)
- Delaware Valley Marine Aquarium Society (DVMAS)
- Delaware Valley Area Reef Club (DVARC)
- PA, NJ, DE Marine Aquarium Society (PNDMAS)
- Philadelphia Metropolitan Area Reef Enthusiasts (PMARE)
- Philadelphia Are Reefers (PAR)
- Philadelphia Area Reef Enthusiasts (PARE)
- Reef Association of Philadelphia (RAP)
- reefers united of the greater phila area (rugpa)
- Pa Nj De Aquarium Society (PANDAS)
Old 10/02/2007, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

It's obvious that a club representing all areas is wanted by those that attended the mtg on Saturday. It was agreed during that meeting that we will have a club with dues paying members with officers, etc... Therefore, everything decided within the club will be via a vote and only members who have paid dues can vote. Since there are a number of things to vote on for our next mtg, we decided to collect dues now for those that want to be able to vote during that mtg.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to. But only those that do pay can have a say into the future of the club via a vote.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

So I owe you $1.00 at the meeting?
Quote:
Originally posted by aquanut6
Well, I was surely wrong when I thought there were no fees charged for paypal transactions from a bank account/balance versus a credit card. This is true for personal accounts but not business accounts. I opened a business account because personal accounts are only allowed to receive 12 payments a year via credit card.

Going forward, please be kind and include the paypal fee (2.9%+ .30). To round the number out, if you submit a payment of $21, the club will get $20.09 versus a payment of $20 which results in $19.12 to the club. I know it's semantics but I'm detail oriented

I'll reach out to PayPal and see if there is any exceptions for non-profit organizations...
Old 10/02/2007, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

I'll cover those that paid b4 i updated this thread
Old 10/02/2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by aquanut6
It's obvious that a club representing all areas is wanted by those that attended the mtg on Saturday. It was agreed during that meeting that we will have a club with dues paying members with officers, etc... Therefore, everything decided within the club will be via a vote and only members who have paid dues can vote. Since there are a number of things to vote on for our next mtg, we decided to collect dues now for those that want to be able to vote during that mtg.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to. But only those that do pay can have a say into the future of the club via a vote.
I don't think that's fair.

I think you guys are moving a little too fast. I think we should have at least one more pre-vote meeting to lay out all the issues, list what the voting will be about, and just generally get more input.

I know there was a group of people that held a meeting last week. But it was announced that that meeting would be about getting people from the southwestern burbs more involved. It was not announced that that meeting would decide the future direction of the club.

However, I do applaud your initiative for moving things forward. I just think it's moving too fast, and without much input from those not at that specific meeting.

I formally propose that the upcoming meeting on the 21st NOT be a voting meeting. It should be to get more input, decide on a time to have a vote, decide what positions are necessary, decide whether or not there will be dues, etc.

That's only fair to the people who have been involved with PARC for years; it's apparent that they feel their club is being hijacked and you guys need to be aware of that. That's why we're not getting a lot of input from the people who regularly attended meetings in Bensalem - they feel shunned because you guys seem to be working in a vaccuum (which again, I understand is not the case).

Look, I agree with most of your decisions. I'm not disagreeing with you guys for the sake of fighting/drama/conflict/whatever. My point is NOT that I disagree with the specific decisions and ideas you guys have. My point is that there are definitely people out there that do disagree and their opinions should be given a chance.

So let's start discussing the next meeting as a first step toward forming a new club - not the last step.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Crazy, I understand your point. And yes, it may seem like we're attempting to overtake PARC, but that is not the case. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I have to have my say as well.

The meeting was, from the very beginning, to discuss how to get the southerners more involved, even at the cost of creating a new club. An opportunity presented itself when KidEgo stepped down, Matt volunteered to assume the presidency and addressed us during our mtg.

From our mtg, it was decided to move forward full speed ahead with or without PARC. So, the purpose of the mtg has evolved to what it is now.

We just want to have a club that's representative of the entire area with mtgs on a rotating basis and is actively seeking opportunities to evolve into a formidable club which did not seem to be the agenda with PARC.

With all this drama going on, I now feel like we should just start fresh and create a new club, with a new name, agenda, officers, dues, etc...I guess that's what's happenning anyway.

It's always been open to anyone and continues to be...
Old 10/02/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Aquanut, if it's a new club, then so be it. You've got my full support and membership.

I was under the impression that things were still in the air in regards to PARC, and how their existing members feel (myself included). But if this has nothing to do with PARC (which it seems now that it doesn't), then I've got no objections to the decisions you guys have made, I support you, and I'd like to be involved.

I would suggest, however, that the new club does its best to reach out to the existing PARC membership and tries to work things out with them, keep them included, and keep meetings in their areas.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

We have members in the north (me and matt included) the plan here is to rotate meetings to all over the city burbs/city. this way we can get most people to 3/5 meetings because of the rotation.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Crazy, glad to have you.

I think things are still in the air in regards to PARC and I would rather have it be part of PARC but this movement has momentum and I'd rather not lose that momentum.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:38 AM
que sais-je

I am going to chime in here as a casual observer.

I am one of the founding members of PARC, I believe the only other one left is JRegs. The original intention for PARC was to be a very casual environment for local reefers to get together and talk fish. I remember the last meeting I attended at the Library, Jon asked me, Vince C. and JRegs if we minded if he took over the club because the rest of us were exhausted from trying to keep it together. We were all very happy to hand it over to Jon.

PARC has stayed exactly the same, meeting in the same area with new members (not a bad thing), every time it was suggested that the meeting place be adjusted so more people could partake in the meetings, that idea was quickly rejected.

Once again as a casual observer, it appears that all these guys are doing is reaching out to those who live south of the City to see if there is an interest, and it appears that there is. I do not know what is going on behind the scenes with PARC or the new club, but from reading these posts it appears that there is some sort of disagreement regarding MinibowMatt taking over the lead roll with PARC, and please correct me if I am wrong, but PARC has stated many times that they want to stay casual, no formal structure/ dues. So to me the next logical step is to form a new club.

I don't believe that anyone is trying to derail PARC or it's membership, it all comes down to more people would like to be involved without having to take a second mortgage to afford the gas to drive 50+ minutes to talk fish. Also the most logical place to do this is in the PARC forums, once again please correct me if I am wrong but most people who post in the PARC forums do not attend PARC meetings.

My suggestion is that the "New Club" forge ahead on it's own but make sure that you include the PARC "membership" at least until you have your own forum and please remember that anyone can belong to as many reef clubs as they like the only requirement should be either you have a tank or want to get one.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Green Mariner: Thank you... we arent trying to derail anyone. they want to stay casual... we form our own club. Nothing says members of parc cant join, and we arent trying to hijack anything either.

Thank alot for the good perspective.

~krikor
Old 10/02/2007, 12:10 PM
Reef Pimp

Very well put Green Mariner...and to take it one step further...nobody should feel threatened by what's going on, or someone stepping up to try and do something!
Old 10/02/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

DITTO!

Then, we're still on for October 21st, in Springfield, PA (Delaware County). It's in Delco again because Madge62 volunteered to host.

On the table for voting are officers of the club as well as a club name. Again, anyone with interest can come to the meeting but we're only allowing those that have paid dues to vote.

If I am missing anything, chime in....

Looking forward to the mtg.
Old 10/02/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Oh, check out our new digs on the "other side." PBRC (Philadelphia Burbs Reef Club) for the time being....
Old 10/02/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stixbaraca
nobody should feel threatened by what's going on

Are you threatening me?!?!

(sorry, I couldn't resist )